Pokemon Black 2 and White 2

BlackRazgriz

And people complain about the generic-ness of everything after 2nd gen...

Those people are idiots. :<

Personally, I wasn't fond of most of second gen's designs, it had some really solid ones, then a bunch of lesser interesting things that were leftover from Red/Blue's development. I found third gen to be a great breath of fresh air!

Current gen always has poor design until it is replaced with a new gen in which case it becomes genius.

No Exeptions.

I dunno, each generation has its low points for sure (although I feel they're perhaps lower in the back half than they were in the classic eras), but as far as current gen being poor designed, I think Krookodile, Chandelure, Volcarona, Carracosta, Galvantula, Hydreigon, and Haxorus are all pretty convincing arguments against that sentiment. All top-tier awesome. There are plenty of other merely good designs as well. I didn't like the starters and there are a number of designs I either don't like altogether (Vanillish...) or feel are just uninteresting (Dwebble, Munna, any of the pure-Fightings, the Monkeys), but it's by no means bad. I did really dislike the starters this time around, though (Smugleaf is okay. I'll probably actually really like it if its Dream World version ever shows up).

It's just that Pokemon fans (and gamers in general) seem to only deal in absolutes. Things are either terrible or amazing, there's no room for variety or even mediocrity.

Black and White players can download Reshiram or Zekrom, depending on which version you got via mystery gift for a short time. Don't miss out!

In other news, I finally 'upgraded' to facebook's new timeline, and I figured if I was gonna do it, I was gonna make it awesome. Here is the result.

fb.jpg

Haha thanks :P I kind of based it on this other one I saw, but I feel mine is better. :<

Hey, which out of the DS games would you recommend to a first time pokemon player? Specifically, a 14 year old kid? Black and White are excellent introductions, but SS/HG are also really simple and fun, especially with the pokewalker and your pokemon following you. D/P/P were good too, but don't really compare to the others, imo.

Thoughts?

Make said 14 year old kid play the original Red and Blue. FORCE them to see the progress the series has gone through over the years. Then they will appreciate the history of the series.

Any of the three DS games are good. BW, like DS said, is aimed at being "this is your first game", but suffers from any good post Elite 4 content.

Versus Platinum and HGSS, where there is a lot to do and explore. Even the half-assed Kanto in HGSS is still a lot of time to go through.

I guess it depends upon how much you think this kid will want to continue.

Make said 14 year old kid play the original Red and Blue. FORCE them to see the progress the series has gone through over the years. Then they will appreciate the history of the series.

Haha, as awesome as that would be I don't think that would happen :P

It's kind of a gamble anyways...she says she has no interested in pokemon so if I even do get it it would be more of a joke/hopeful attempt at getting her to try it. In that regard, B/W would probably be better because they have strong intros which could get someone engaged.

Lol, even if I did get it for her she probably wouldn't play it anyways :P but we've been joking about it so it might be fun to do anyways.

I dunno, each generation has its low points for sure (although I feel they're perhaps lower in the back half than they were in the classic eras), but as far as current gen being poor designed, I think Krookodile, Chandelure, Volcarona, Carracosta, Galvantula, Hydreigon, and Haxorus are all pretty convincing arguments against that sentiment. All top-tier awesome. There are plenty of other merely good designs as well. I didn't like the starters and there are a number of designs I either don't like altogether (Vanillish...) or feel are just uninteresting (Dwebble, Munna, any of the pure-Fightings, the Monkeys), but it's by no means bad....

To this, I have to admit, I agree. Aside for Mienshao, the pure fightings were horrible. Emboar, too. Seriously, another fire-fighting starter? I'd rather Blaziken back. The monkeys, meh. I have no opinion on those.

What the Pokemon games need - more Bug types, and more of every other type than Water. I mean, seriously, Water types annoy me, and not just because I specialize in Fire, (Only reason I'm getting White 2 is for the Ice Dragon with Fire moves) but because the type only has two weaknesses, and is ALWAYS the medium difficulty path as a starter. Fire is either the easy one, or the hard one... (Every gen but II and V opened with a rock gym, making the Fire starter the hardest one to work with, but the choice that would always pay off in the end), Water never seems to break ahead, and Grass is the reverse of Fire, with gens II and V making it the hard path, although the Snivy family is a LOT better than the Tepig line, I have to say. (DW ability FTW!)

What B/W lacked ruined it for me - a proper battle frontier/chance to rematch the gym leaders with a mixed generation team. (Oh, and the lack of the older legendaries aside for event. I have to travel 45 minutes to a Nintendo-operated store, purely to download coz I'm too cheap to upgrade my battered DSi for a 3DS.)