SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2012

SuperiorX

also, sorry if it's already been stated a few pages back, but superiorx i finally listened to you and c7's last mix and i wondering if you two were going to submit that by any chance? regardless that arrangement and the trumpet playing in that was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sensual. good god, c7's playing was something else. +kudos

hey, thanks! I'm glad you liked it! I was hoping to hear a bit more of what people thought about it, since Akumajo had to drop out I advanced by default with that song. I think I'll throw it up in the WIP forums here soon, to get some more critical feedback, but yeah then I'm planning to submit it! Maybe I'll actually get something passed one of these times :grin: And yeah MAD PROPS to C7 on the trumpet solo, he more than exceeded my expectations with it!

also, sorry if it's already been stated a few pages back, but superiorx i finally listened to you and c7's last mix and i wondering if you two were going to submit that by any chance? regardless that arrangement and the trumpet playing in that was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sensual. good god, c7's playing was something else. +kudos

I'VE BEEN TELLING HIM THIS SINCE I HEARD THE FIRST WIP!!!!eh Matt?

I'VE BEEN TELLING HIM THIS SINCE I HEARD THE FIRST WIP!!!!eh Matt?

Yeah, yeah you have :razz: I'm just over critical of my own stuff. I will submit it tho after I put it up in the WIP forum for a bit.

Bootsy-Collins-007.jpg

did somebody just say jordan fu----- nevermind...

Oh, and Amphibious Jordan, there is your secret weapon - Sir Jordanius Jordan. Combine your funk and make a Jordan x2 remix.

Yeah, may have been pretty nervous realising that, but what can I say - they may compliment each other quite nicely. :)

However, come tomorrow, we may not necessarily DO the 'nice' thing, so let's leave this as a hinter for the suspicious folk out there.

My name is Beverley Wooff.

Therefore, I will huff... I will puff... and I will blow your house down!! :razz:

Here are my quick reviews for the round... also I'm going to go ahead and post my votes now since I'll be out of town tomorrow at noon. Remember, Rexy & Phonetic Hero will announce the Robotnik Round 3 matchups tomorrow after voting closes at Noon EDT. I'll post the Sonic Round 3 songs and update the bracket image when I get online tomorrow afternoon/evening. Thanks!

Brandon Strader: I loved this since it first started, the upbeat groove of Planet Wisp is executed nicely, and I think your samples of the Beatles just fit it excellent here. It really feels like it belongs. This is just a really fun song overall. I don't hear a ton of Metal Harbor (unless I'm just missing it), but great stuff nonetheless. Super cool synth solo there near the end!

AMT: I think someone forgot what source they were mixing :-P Nah, great job integrating 3 sources! You did a nice fun job with the lyrics here, and I think you did a good job doing the hip-hop/rap vocals and then transitioning to the chorus section. Nice guitar & bass work as usual! I think this was my toughest matchup to vote on, both were stellar!

wildfire: Wow big improvement over your last song! Cool piano intro! I really like the techno groove in the song once it gets going full steam. Some cool synth work mid-way thru as well. Good integration of the two themes too!

halc: I love the intro and then the switchup to the half-tempo. That was executed great. Good use of sound effects again too! And that BASS! Funky and sexy! A really interesting dichotomy between the dubstep-ish bass and the more lighthearted and bouncy synths and strings. I just can't help bounce along to this song. The last quarter of the song when the bass goes all wacky is a ton of fun too, nice job!

KingTiger: wow I really like this song! I really like how you arranged the two themes, I think they complement one another really well! Some really cool filter work on the synths and bass too, I'm really digging it. Mixing seems a bit quiet compared to the other songs tho...

Gario: Diggin the strings! I feel like you and KingTiger arranged the songs in a similar fashion, these two themes just seem to fit together really really well. Cool synth break and building at the 2:00 mark. Really not a lot to say, I love this song too... choosing between these two was really really tough!

Syllix: Hahaha that intro is hilarious... and this arrangement is SUPER FUNKY! The transitions are a little abrupt, but it didn't really bother me. This is just super cool and super fun all around. Great job!

Chernabogue: Well this is definitely a very original/different take on the two themes! Props on the creativity! I love all the different instrumentation you used, it really gives it a tribal/island feel. Wasn't really digging the vocal chants a whole lot, but that's just my preference, I think they definitely fit the style you were going for.

A really solid round Robotniks, great job! And we've got some really close voting match-ups still too! Can't wait to see the results!

Done and submitted!

I went with something kinda sorta dance/trance/whatever you call it. Hopefully ya'll like it!

LOL

Tomorrow, you will know :P

LOL :lmassoff: indeed tomorrow we will all know. Well, later today now I suppose :smile:

I have all the mixes except for Pete's now. Slacker :wink:

EDIT: And I'm on my way out... thanks to Rexy & Phonetic Hero for posting the Robotnik Round 2 voting results and new matchups at noon! I'll have the Sonic Round 3 music up a bit later this afternoon/evening. Thanks everyone!

I have all the mixes except for Pete's now. Slacker :wink:

SLACKER?! I'd been up since 6:30 AM yesterday, drove an 8 hour straight-shot, and finally was able to REALLY sit down with the mix after getting settled in indy at about 1 AM this morning. No fucking sleep... not sure how I feel about it, but it's music damn it...

At least it'll stick out :P

EDIT: And stick out it will. Different was the name of the game; taking to sources to different places harmonically as well as quirky instrumentation make my mix... well, different. We'll leave it at that. Almost blew up my computer after multiple frustrations, but hey, I got SOMEthing for you guys!

DOUBLE EDIT: Weirdest fucking song I've ever written in my life. Yet somehow, it doesn't feel as long as it is

DOUBLE EDIT: Weirdest fucking song I've ever written in my life. Yet somehow, it doesn't feel as long as it is

That makes me all the more excited to hear it :lol: I am excite!

And yes, thanks for sharing the love about the compo, Digi! We're aware of Saturday Night SEGA in particular pimping it out, and the reactions made us feel really warm :)

Alas, the time has come. Voting for the Robotnik Bracket Round 2 is now CLOSED. And here are the results of that vote:

• Brandon Strader: 25, AMT: 15
  • ladyWildfire: 22, halc: 18
  • Gario: 28, KingTiger: 12
  • Syllix: 21, Chernabogue: 19

Congratulations to the victors! You are now able to get going on round 3:

• Brandon Strader (Planet Wisp) vs ladyWildfire (Underground)
  • Gario (Sky Sanctuary) vs Syllix (Launch Base [GEN])

SuperiorX will update the bracket image as soon as he can, as well as unleash the Sonic Bracket round 3 tracks. For now, let the mixing stage for Robotnik Round 3 commence :)

That makes me all the more excited to hear it :lol: I am excite!

And yes, thanks for sharing the love about the compo, Digi! We're aware of Saturday Night SEGA in particular pimping it out, and the reactions made us feel really warm :)

Alas, the time has come. Voting for the Robotnik Bracket Round 2 is now CLOSED. And here are the results of that vote:

• Brandon Strader: 25, AMT: 15
  • ladyWildfire: 22, halc: 18
  • Gario: 28, KingTiger: 12
  • Syllix: 21, Chernabogue: 19

Congratulations to the victors! You are now able to get going on round 3:

• Brandon Strader (Planet Wisp) vs ladyWildfire (Underground)
  • Gario (Sky Sanctuary) vs Syllix (Launch Base [GEN])

SuperiorX will update the bracket image as soon as he can, as well as unleash the Sonic Bracket round 3 tracks. For now, let the mixing stage for Robotnik Round 3 commence :)

I seem to be missing a vote somewhere (EDIT: found it), but I'll blame it on sleep deprivation; it doesn't affect the outcomes, so I'm not gonna hunt 'er down.

And... yeah... my song... right.

Syllix: 21, Chernabogue: 19

... yes.

Syllix vs Chernabogue was very close, and both songs were great, but deep down I secretly wanted Syllix to win this round, 'cause I had some fun plans for this source. This is going to make this week very fun. Launch Base Zone, Round Two, baby. Kind of funny that this is the second time I'm going to remix this source into Sky Sanctuary Zone (I had little references to it in the first round, too).

Alright, have fun, everyone. :D