Most frustrating/least satisfying games

Phonetic Hero

As for the only time I've seen a good/bad system work even in the slightest was Infamous 2. Honestly they should of just given the option right at the beginning if you were gonna be good or bad, so they didn't have to come up with obvious choices to the good/bad stuff, and just had the character choose it, then you do it as the player.

I'll be glad when developers get over the whole mortality thing in games. I recently did the trial for The Old Republic, and I was giggling the entire time over the fact that you still a light side/dark side meter. I can be a light side Sith? Wha? Do those even exist?

On an aside, my New Vegas character was DOLEMITE, and he would only do things DOLEMITE would do, which he

- would get with all the foxy ladies

-would never take shit from a honky (this is hard because like every faction in the game is a low-down honky)

-wouldn't cop out when danger's all about

-would spout rhyming one-liners at every no-business born-insecure honky motherfucker that got in his way

Ninja Gaiden 2 for me. Never in all my life have I encountered a game that left me so conflicted about wanting to play onwards. I loved the first one so much because it was frustrating in a "stop button mashing and learn to play, noob" way. The second game made me stop halfway through because it was so cheap, and so stupid, that I could not bring myself to finish it. I think the only reason I persisted even that far was because I kept lying to myself saying that it looked and sounded like the first one, so clearly it had to get better. :banghead:

Don't you dare! That game is epic.

I have it and have beaten it multiple times. Unless you were doing a melee only run or something then it's beatable.

The control is atrocious, though. At least Silver Surfer had tight control; I just can't get the feel for Amagon, at all.

It also has the MOST INFURIATING death song, I shit you not.

Not to mention the

. Holy fuck, never EVER use Slow-mo when the pause button has an SFX. (Oh man, my family owned this... it has scarred me for life).

Zero 3's the easiest one, dude. >_>

Really? I could never get past that fucking lava level! I may have beaten a total of 2 bosses (excluding the intro boss) in my lifetime in that game.

EDIT: Also, Advent Rising. It was fun (with an amazing soundtrack), but glitched out and monotonous. I literally was stuck at one save point and could not progress further.

One under the frustrating column would be Mother. FUCK. LIKE, SHIT. There is no restriction from going into an area with big enemies near the beginning, and I just kept dying, having to travel back and such. It's so frustrating. Not to mention you have almost no sense of direction without a guide.

We are talking about the current console generation iteration, yes? Because I'm going to have to disagree with you if we are. Except on the part of the music, which was fantastic.

Damn your blood that's blasphemy! Ninja Gaiden Black and Gaiden II are like my favorite games ever.

I admit they can be hellishly frustrating though. But then that is how Ninja Gaiden games are suppose to be isn't it?

For me, the Megaman Zero Series has been overwhelmingly difficult, with Zero 3 in particular causing a massive amount of frustration.

The Megaman Zero series is awesome. I think it has a nice difficulty, and very satisfying once you beat it (The story's awesome, made me tear up more than a few times). I had the hardest time back in middle school before (first played 2); I'd die at least a dozen times before beating a level for the first time. The main advice I have is use your saber a lot; you can actually triple slash bosses if you do it correctly. The games get frustrating is when you start hard mode and/or go for good grades (A/S). I was trying for A's on all of them throughout, but then I got to the last areas in each.... Fighting eight bosses in a row tends to smash your hopes.

Zero 3's the easiest one, dude. >_>
I don't think that's true. The first fire area boss is a major pain to me.... I'd say 2 comes off as easiest, with 1 being the hardest.

On a side note, I killed my L-button playing these. :-( It's a huge concern if you spam dash like I do (I wonder if I hit the button too hard; I don't think I do...). I set it up online to send in for repairs a while ago, but I haven't shipped it out yet. I hope it's not too late....

More on topic, The level gap with FFIV between the map and last dungeon is astounding. D: I went and got the summon on the moon, too. I guess I should just grind and deal with it.... Well, I guess this really isn't that much more on topic.

Jet Force Gemini had an amazingly frustrating part with koala things where you had to find and save them all. Practically needed a guide. Good thing you can kill them, too. >:D

Megaman Zero is disappointing because it had an actual story line, where something happened every game. It even ended!

/sarcasm

But nawh, I loved that series, funny enough I beat MMZ 1 last (beat 2,3,4,then 1, derp) but I though 1 wasn't the hardest one. Probably just training from the other three helped me out. Particular parts in 4 were annoying (Kraft... sweet song though.)

But back on topic (but still keeping with the tangent) Megaman X7, I have no idea what they were thinking when they decided to take all the elements that made megaman x good and change it.

Fucking football manager 2012. Hours and hours and hours spent in vain trying to get a shit club to be able to afford to buy anyone decent and then you finally win something and you get a text message from the chairman something like:

"We expected this achievement and we expect you to repeat the result next season." GEE I'M SO FULFILLED!

The better question is why do I keep going back to play my most frustrating game.

Fucking football manager 2012. Hours and hours and hours spent in vain trying to get a shit club to be able to afford to buy anyone decent and then you finally win something and you get a text message from the chairman something like:

"We expected this achievement and we expect you to repeat the result next season." GEE I'M SO FULFILLED!

The better question is why do I keep going back to play my most frustrating game.

Nah, the most frustrating aspect of Football Manager is the fact that I can easily win the league with Bolton while I always end up last with Tottenham. Also, I always get sacked, no matter what I win or don't win.

Damn your blood that's blasphemy! Ninja Gaiden Black and Gaiden II are like my favorite games ever.

I admit they can be hellishly frustrating though. But then that is how Ninja Gaiden games are suppose to be isn't it?

That was the beauty of the first one, it was frustrating because I wasn't doing it right. Once I took the time to consider each enemy and learn the right moves, it was fun and less frustrating.

The second seemed like the move by Team Ninja was just to make every enemy as soul-suckingly bullshit as possible. All of them have throw attacks, most have cheap, unblockable combos or throws, and that awful camera. I got to the part where all the rocket bots and army guys come at you with explosives, and quit right there. Getting bounced around on screen by rocket blasts from nowhere until I died for the fifth time was too much.

Compare that to the first one, where I got to blow up a tank AND a helicopter with nothing but a bow and arrow. I blame the minion's union for this.

Megaman: Battle Network 5 Double Team DS. I got a headache just saying the name, and then I got stuck. As in, lost in a world full of ninja enemies... Don't even remember why I bought it either... now the only things I use my DS lite (second hand after I broke the hinges on an original DS, something Nintendo has repeatedly said impossible...and then froze when I proved it to a large group of Nintendo employees based here in Australia...) to play are Pokemon White, and a friend's copy of HeartGold, despite my parents hatred of Pokemon.

Also, I get why you guys are hating on the moral system, but it's a mechanic I see working.... AS LONG AS YOU MAKE IT A CHARACTER, NOT YOURSELF. If you fret about your alignment, in order to get a certain ending, you'll get no satisfaction. Me, I'm an author, and my main characters are always based on me. Therefore, whenever I get a game like that, I enjoy it - I mean, honestly, I'm fine with making the decisions I want... and then switching to a different character to get other endings (and make Atton Rand from KOTOR II comment on how he's a Bioware-created Han Solo ripoff, as he does when you've finished the game many times. Too bad I was playing a loaned copy that was scratched -_-)

Most annoying games - Final Fantasy XIII series. Haven't played the original, but apparently, while critically adored (and I agree, the second is awesome), the fact that the game is a SHEER GRINDFEST drives me up the wall. That, and the fact that there's only really two playable characters. (Again, that's in the sequel. I mean, honestly, Square Enix, could you please give us something other than monsters to round-out a standard game? I don't want to use DLC to get more, mostly temporary, characters)

You want to know a frustrating (though fun) game... Battle Toads on the Snes. Good fuuuck, that game was hard. And no, I never did win it.

I thought that was pretty much the perfect balance of BT difficulty and variety, myself. It's not NEARLY as balls-crushingly difficult as the NES iteration, yet it still manages to capture the variety style gameplay. I could actually beat the SNES version legit, but I can't even come CLOSE to doing so on the NES version. Fuck, I can't even beat the NES version with save states (that Whirlbird deathtrap level... cheating gets you nowhere on that one).

Okami is the only game I've ever had to abandon halfway through. What a beautiful, entertaining game... great for me and my 7 year old son both... but those digging challenges are a pain in the ass due to the instability of the wiimote when drawing lines and patterns. Halfway through the game, there is a digging challenge you must pass to continue the story (the "Kaguya" challenge). I tried it fifty hundred times with the most miserable failure. I've tried to teach my son about not screaming in frustration at a video game. Had to stop trying this challenge... I wasn't being a good role model anymore. :-|

Aidyn Chronicles on the N64. The battle system was fairly clunky, hitting enemies was very inconsistent, figuring out how to customize your characters and level your stats properly was convoluted, getting around the world took forever, the soundtrack was almost nonexistent (and what was there pretty much sucked). Yet I played it so much, is just had some kind of charm that drew me in. I never did beat it myself, but every once in a while I will tell myself "I'm gonna do it!" and start a new game.

One day.