zircon's ReMixing Tips Compendium

zircon

Hey Zircon, I was wondering, can you synthesize "vocals" on FruityLoops? I don't mean like actual lyrical singing, just the well you-know. As in the vocals found in "Shadows Among the Ruins" by er...who was it again?? DOH by YOU. Rofl, well then I guess that makes selecting an example much easier ;).

If Zircon is unable to reply, can some one else explain then? Thx for reading/considering this thread.

Fruity has an inbuilt voice synthersiser. Its called something logical, like... "Fruity voice synthersiser" or somesuch. Its all fairly straightforward. Type in the text, fiddle with the properties so it sounds how you want it, and then when you hit the big tick it will dump it into a slicer channel for you. Keep in mind that it wont sound like a real voice, of course... but its great for robot voices.

Hey Zircon, I was wondering, can you synthesize "vocals" on FruityLoops? I don't mean like actual lyrical singing, just the well you-know. As in the vocals found in "Shadows Among the Ruins" by er...who was it again?? DOH by YOU. Rofl, well then I guess that makes selecting an example much easier ;).

If Zircon is unable to reply, can some one else explain then? Thx for reading/considering this thread.

That was from the sample library "Symphony of Voices" which costs about $400 :x

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, very nice tutorials zircon. Very professional. I though the examples are really good and it helped a lot.

Though I have one question, for the synthesizers tutorial, what sound did you start off with before you insert the Synth1 plug in? Did you start with 3xOsc or sound fonts?

Sorry for not being clear, I was on a rush this morning.

What I wanted to say was, what kind of sound font did you use before you began editing the sound using the VST Synth1 plug-in, because, 3xOsc came with a default sound that you can edit with. I wanted to know what you used, or what kind of stuff you generally look for, to get started on synthesizing.

Sorry for not being clear, I was on a rush this morning.

What I wanted to say was, what kind of sound font did you use before you began editing the sound using the VST Synth1 plug-in, because, 3xOsc came with a default sound that you can edit with. I wanted to know what you used, or what kind of stuff you generally look for, to get started on synthesizing.

I still don't understand. Which tutorial are you referring to? Is there a particular audio example?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, I've just experienced several computer problems during the past few days, not to mention a great deal of school projects to top it off.

Anyways, I've figured my own question. It was simply due to my lack of knowledge and experience on using Fruityloops (mind you, I just recently purchased the program). I forgot to set the VST Plug-in. Thats why when I tried to make a VST1 Channel, the plug-in just wouldn't show. I just forgot to to add it to the list first :-| lol...

anyways, thanks tho Zircon =)

p.s. you're truly are an inspiration

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was reading your guide #3 on synthesizers and I had a question about a phrase you mentioned on there...

EXAMPLE 1 - SYNTH LEAD

http://www.zirconstudios.com/Synth%20Example%201.mp3

Here's an example of a simple synth lead. What makes it a lead? Well.. * The amplitude envelope. Short attack, no release, high sustain.

* The filter. It's lowpass, because we don't want too much of the high stuff to be blasting our ears. Decently high saturation and resonance to make it have some substance.

* LFO 1 is pointing towards the filter. This makes the sound dynamic over time.

* Play mode is Legato with some basic portamento action. This makes the sound glide smoothly.

* Saw + Square waves with "Sync" on. Creates the basic timbre of the sound.

* A little bit of delay to make things interesting.

The tip "LFO 1 is pointing towards the filter"...I didn't know what this meant exactly. Perhaps you could elaborate? I would really appreciate it!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

-Been reading the tutes, and finding them really helpful - for some reason finding the same info on the web is much harder, so thanks for making it much easier

-For a muso who is learning all this digital music stuff, it feels oddly alien and familiar at the same time, a real eye-opener to see what makes good music good =)

• 4 months later...

Yeah, while some of this stuff is still relevant & useful, there are definitely some gaps and inaccuracies that I would love to correct. My goal (which I may not be able to reach during 2010) is to have a series of videos showing the creation of a remix from start to finish. That should be a nice update for the new decade :)

• 1 month later...
Yeah, while some of this stuff is still relevant & useful, there are definitely some gaps and inaccuracies that I would love to correct. My goal (which I may not be able to reach during 2010) is to have a series of videos showing the creation of a remix from start to finish. That should be a nice update for the new decade :)

That would be massively helpful. I'm just getting into all this now and finding information that's accessible to a beginner is quite an endeavor. Maybe it'll change over the years as I familiarize myself with audio production, but right now I see composing as the easy part and everything else as the true challenge.

That would be massively helpful. I'm just getting into all this now and finding information that's accessible to a beginner is quite an endeavor. Maybe it'll change over the years as I familiarize myself with audio production, but right now I see composing as the easy part and everything else as the true challenge.

So true. I've taken piano since early elementary school, and have a decent grasp (well, a not-completely-sucky grasp, anyway) of musical theory. But I have zero familiarity with software and other technical aspects. DAW, VST, and other such acronyms are mysteries to me.

THIS is something I've always wanted someone to do, but never knew how to ask because well I know its hard to give up files that you worked on yourself. But if someone ever did this, I'd love it. Even if I never made another song, at least I'd finally get and SEE, how it works.

Why did the original tutorial (on post nr. 1) disappeared? I bookmarked it, looking forward having a decent look on them. Today I tried to see it and... The links point to missing pages! Have you put them on another site? can you re-link them? I would like to have a look on them, they seemed extremely helpful!