Fit Club ahoy! Where men are bros and women are also bros!

OceansAndrew

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Haven't posted in a month of Sundays, but hope everyone is doing well! A cursory glance shows many of the same old faces, and I'm sure you guys are crushing the weights/goals and making them your bitches as you fine people always do! My own progress has been all over the board, though mostly good.  Too much to post right now, but I'll try and catch up with you guys soon.

Speaking of MAGFest, we gonna do a MAG workout? I was super bummed to miss it last year, and I want to make sure I have my shit together for it this year.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2015 at 0:47 PM, Soul Splint said:

Goals for 2015. I want to be able to perform three reps on these exercises for these weights:

Bench Press: 275 pounds

Squat: 315 pounds

Pullups: bodyweight + 90 pounds

Deadlift: 365 pounds

Overhead Press: 185 pounds

And I also want to weigh at least 210 pounds (currently 195) with a bodyfat of 15% or less by the end of the year. Aiming high on a couple of these goals, but I still think they are achievable.

Did anyone hit their goals for 2015? I did okay and could have done way better, but 2015 threw a lot of emotional turbulence at me, really made my focus suffer. But, as it stands:

GOALS

Bench Press: NO. Advanced from 235 for three reps to 255 for three reps. Got 265 for two. 

Squat: NO. Worst progress of all five lifts. Advanced from 245 for three reps to 275 for three reps, and tweaked my back attaining that new goal (had my rack set too high, and had to go on my toes a bit to put the bar back on. My back didn't like it for some reason...)

Pullups: YES! Three clean, dead-hang pullups with two plates on me. New goal for 2016 is 110.

Deadlift: SO CLOSE. Got 355 then my left knee really started to act up. Had to switch from conventional stance to sumo stance and start building my way back up, but I'm really optimistic about progress for this year. Setting my goal a bit higher at 385.

Overhead Press: NO. Advanced from 155 to 165. I guess the explosion of strength I gained in my shoulders finally hit a plateau, but I think I can hit it this year.

Body weight: NO. Got up to 203, but emotional stuff really made this fluctuate. Currently at 198 with bf % around 12, so hopefully we'll see some better progress as my stress evens back out.

How did you all do?

My goals have completely changed given that I always seem to injure some joint or another, so I'm following a bodyweight strength training protocol that does lots of joint prehab and mobility stuff, as well as supplementing it with weekly hard stretching sessions cuz my mobility is beyond dismal.  So my goals of freestanding handstand and muscle-up didn't get much traction, but I feel during this year I will make much better foundational progress and address my deficits.

Yeah I fell off the wagon big time with our move. I'm up to 180lbs or so but my waist is about the same. I don't think I lost much strength. But it's a new year and I've got a gym again, plus an elliptical in the basement. Shooting to get back to working out 4-5 times a week with resistance training ~3 days and cardio on other days (a solid 30 mins on the elliptical). Plus cutting again naturally. 

5 minutes ago, Modus said:

Going to Mexico and doing manual labor for 3 straight days taught me that all my workouts have been designed for little baby children.

I'm working in the storage of the local Toys'R'Us, carrying the heavier things we sell, from bikes to baby buggies and football tables. And the workouts I did when I frequented a gym where shit compared to working like this

I've been wanting to ask this in here for sometime. How does exercise affect your ability to write music? Does it make you more or less creative? Does it improve your focus? Both? Neither? Something else? I'm mostly a runner and I have found that If I do cardio for a week or longer, it saps my ability to be creative, but it makes me slightly more focused. However if I ditch out on my run for a week or so, I feel like I'm losing my mind and my body feels like it's turning to mush, but I generally am able to produce more. 

4 hours ago, YoshiBlade said:

I've been wanting to ask this in here for sometime. How does exercise affect your ability to write music? Does it make you more or less creative? Does it improve your focus? Both? Neither? Something else? I'm mostly a runner and I have found that If I do cardio for a week or longer, it saps my ability to be creative, but it makes me slightly more focused. However if I ditch out on my run for a week or so, I feel like I'm losing my mind and my body feels like it's turning to mush, but I generally am able to produce more. 

Exercise generally improves your mental health a lot, which is really good for creative output.

1 hour ago, Neblix said:

Exercise generally improves your mental health a lot, which is really good for creative output.

I've read some studies on the subject and by and large Exercise = Good heath, but I'm interested in personal experience. For me, it seems to be the opposite the more I would work out, the less creative I feel, but the more healthy I feel. I've started keeping a journal and am excited to sit down and try and map out what helps makes a creative day and what hinders it. 

so like i basically died (ie got hurt in August, moved in September, got "healthy" by Thanksgiving but opted to shut it down until the new year. suffice to say, it's still kinda shut down lol)

i am horrendously off my game right now. 

that said, MAG workout sounds FUN although admittedly implausible for me right now lol but i will certainly pack for it and try to make it out somehow amidst the inevitable total lack of sleep, oversaturation of metabolism-crippling alcohol and running around with a pack of game nerds

I majorly fell off the bandwagon after my move to LA. I got so wrapped up that I was working out maybe once a week. But now I joined a crossfit gym and go to that 2-3x a week, plus parkour once a week and some stage combat. I'm feeling a lot better, though I am still scraping off rust rather than improving, especially in parkour. 

We must do the lifts at the MAG. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2015 at 8:23 AM, RealFolkBlues said:

As to goals, I need to get on that Fitocracy thing, I reckon. I was on Fitlinxx (somewhat similar but just at the Y pretty much,) but now that's went away, so some goal/progress tracking might be nice.

Did this for a while and then fell off.  I was spending a lot of time tracking my goals and I just started having less time in general.

Most of my goals are not lifts, but sure, let's put em down in writing:

-275 1rm bench

Hahahahahaha no.  No sir.  This might have happened if I had been hitting bench hard all last year, but I did a bunch of other stuff.  I think I'm fairly well plateaued on bench, though I think if I learned how to really engage my chest I would get better results.  I'm not too worried, as my current 1rm is 210, so if I keep that and am kicking around at 170 lbs or less, it's respectable.

-315 1rm squat

So close.  I tried this a couple weeks back and didn't get squashed...butttt I didn't get down far enough to count it either.  It was not a great lifting day for me in general due to various factors, so I'm pretty sure I could do this one.  Haven't tried again, but perhaps soon.  Also, I have been squatting barefoot, and I gotta admit, I think I'm converted.  It was nice, especially since I have some very flat feet.  Gripping the floor so hard.

-bodyweight push jerk

Forgot about this one.  Last I left it, my 1rm was 165, and I might be a little better now cuz I've still done these, but haven't went for a max in a sec.

-improve flexibility, particularly in my back and hamstrings

Nope.  Haven't had the time, sad to say.  I think I'm gonna start consistently doing yoga on Sundays, so this might happen.  I'm not that worried about it.

-cut 10 more lbs so I'm sitting around 165 most of the time, at which point I should have a...

Nope.  Went down, went back up, but now I'm doing a 24 hr fast from Saturday morning after breakfast to Sunday, and this has been going really really well, actually.  I'm excited about my progress. 

-six pack

Nope, cuz of the above.  We'll see.

Again, aestheticism and even pure strength take a distant back seat to ability to perform martial arts/fight, so my main goals are as follows:

-Improve (really learn any) grappling

Totally did this! I started doing Brazilian Jiujitsu in August and have made some real gains in my grappling game.  I have a decent Americana! Watch out, world!

-Get some cage experience with my betters and have the cardio/muscular endurance to consistently roll with competitive fighters

Sort of did this.  I have rolled with and sparred with my BJJ and Muay Thai coach (same guy, total badass natch,) and it's not really my conditioning that stops me so much as his feet and hands.  Haven't done a ton, but enough to know that I'm not that bad off on this.

-Box

Been doing Muay Thai! I would still like to just straight up box (totally an option at my fight gym,) but boxing is at the same time as BJJ, and I probably need to grapple more.

-Finish my pudao form and concurrently become decent with the weapon

Nope.  Forgot/neglected this one.  It would be cool, but it's not super high on my list of priorities.

-Learn how to do a kip-up (just for fun)

Nope.  Never really put in much time on this, either.

My number one fitness goal for this year, though? Become a personal trainer/MA instructor. I got a plan, don't worry.

I got my ACE personal trainer certification on the 29th! And, as of this past Tuesday, I have a client! Getting this ball rolling, damn it! Feeling good about it, to be honest.

Sorry for the long post, everybody, but good luck to everyone on their own goals! Let's do this, bros! :)

What he said. :)

On 1/5/2016 at 9:49 AM, Soul Splint said:

Did anyone hit their goals for 2015? I did okay and could have done way better, but 2015 threw a lot of emotional turbulence at me, really made my focus suffer. But, as it stands:

GOALS

Bench Press: NO. Advanced from 235 for three reps to 255 for three reps. Got 265 for two. 

Squat: NO. Worst progress of all five lifts. Advanced from 245 for three reps to 275 for three reps, and tweaked my back attaining that new goal (had my rack set too high, and had to go on my toes a bit to put the bar back on. My back didn't like it for some reason...)

Pullups: YES! Three clean, dead-hang pullups with two plates on me. New goal for 2016 is 110.

Deadlift: SO CLOSE. Got 355 then my left knee really started to act up. Had to switch from conventional stance to sumo stance and start building my way back up, but I'm really optimistic about progress for this year. Setting my goal a bit higher at 385.

Overhead Press: NO. Advanced from 155 to 165. I guess the explosion of strength I gained in my shoulders finally hit a plateau, but I think I can hit it this year.

Body weight: NO. Got up to 203, but emotional stuff really made this fluctuate. Currently at 198 with bf % around 12, so hopefully we'll see some better progress as my stress evens back out.

How did you all do?

Sorry for the emotional turbulence, man, but considering that, still pretty manstrous (yeah I said it) progress overall.  Those pullups are balls nasty and that OHP ain't no joke either.  You'll get it this year! :nicework:  

17 hours ago, RealFolkBlues said:

Sorry for the emotional turbulence, man, but considering that, still pretty manstrous (yeah I said it) progress overall.  Those pullups are balls nasty and that OHP ain't no joke either.  You'll get it this year! :nicework:  

Thanks for the encouragement, man. Super-congrats on the certification and new client! Hope you get lots of enjoyment out of that.

I'm actually really bummed out that I didn't get a report for how many millions of pounds I lifted last year.  It was one of the main reasons I tried so hard.  Now, my incentive is to reach level 40 which I am not far off.

My question is, what do you track side lateral pull downs as?  Sitting next to a pulley machine with the handle above you.  Grab the handle above your head and pull down with your arm fully extended the whole way down.

Thanks.