OCR00383 - Xenogears "7 Years Broken"

Saunders

...yet another remix I wish I had the full lyrics for. Though, what I've been able to pick out, I haven't completely understood, but that might be because I haven't played the game.

I must say that djpretzel's voice is definately what makes this remix worth listening to. I'm not so much a fan of the style, but it's good to listen to every now and then. Definately a very good job on every side.

Almost makes me want to check out the game, really.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I like this mix a lot. It reminds me more than a little of the synthpop band Neuropa, and synthpop in general. But djp's vocals definitely have a Neuropaesque tinge to them. Needless to say I'm pleased with the result, regardless of his own confidence in his vocal chords. :wink:

• 3 months later...

I LOVE this song, and to have DJP singing it is just as equally awesome, he's got a great voice, I wanna hear pixietricks do it next!

Edit: having just listened to it, I remember it reminding me of certain 80s music dance remixes (See DJ Sammy's newer version of Heaven)

Way to astound us with yet another awesome remix, DJP. I guess I must not have a very trained ear for this sort of stuff, because I can't seem to find any glaring flaws with your voice. The echo effects no doubt serve to tone down whatever flaws might be there. All in all, I say you should cultivate this talent you have for singing, regardless of what some woman said about your voice. It seems to me, with practice, you'd make an excellent singer.

Funny thing, before I listened to this song - and even a while after listening to it - I had assumed you were a girl, because of your avatar. :oops: Crazy ignorant newbie me. Anyway, great song.

quite an amazing display of musical talent and ability.

I'm just curious if someone culd get me the lyrics or there is a place where I could find them? I would like to write this song into guitar ;)

This is a nifty little site I've stumbled across whilst searching for the lyrics to Chrono Cross's Unstolen Jewel. It has lyrics to a number of Square songs, including this one, as well as a bunch of other neat notes and such.

...wow. Impressive. Hey, I've never tried to rec myself singing, but I wish I could start singing like this. The pitch in some parts reminds me,as strange as it can sound, of oriental music. Nice echo too. The music sounds a little like some 80's classics but the effects and synths are different.

Well, whatever. I just want more.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is sweet stuff! Ya, I'm sure the girl who told you not to sing is now turning beet red in the corner cuz this mix is amazing!

Unfortunately, I am now wildly jealous cuz I don't know if I can top this if I were to make my own mix of Small of Two Pieces...hahahaha

Bottom line: gotta love it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Dear Mr. Pretzel:

You f*cking rock.

OC Remix is a great site with all sorts of great music from all sorts of great remixers. Among all them, I have a top three: (in no particular order) McVaffe, Star Salzman, and djpretzel.

You're usually pretty modest in your writeups, which is good. But, for the credit you might not have given yourself, you have all of us drooling a**kissing fans to make up for it.

This remix is cool. Bouncy sounding, awesome 80'sesque synthesizer riffs, and of course, your vocals. The vocals are great. Any of your remixes where you sing are subsequently great. And even non-OCremixes where you sing are great, like the "Naruto: Falling Down" one that I fond on animeremix.org. In that song, you did these neat thingies where you were singing in harmony with yourself at the refrains. Like..you sang all the parts (melody, harmony, beat-boxing, etc.) and then used your magical music remixing machine to play it back at the same time. Cool stuff, even if Naruto and I aren't on speaking terms (f*cking fillers...if they ever end and the story gets back on track, it'll be worth watching again).

But this remix, yes, very very good. 10/10.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well its different from the original but I wouldn't go so far as to say its better, I do enjoy the Japanese and US versions a lot as this is one of my favorite songs period. DJPretzel does a great job making this normally more somber song a catchy pop tune.

Im not going to lie or suck up and say that hes great at singing, hes ok or good at best, however he has a great ability to turn that into a strength by again transforming this song into something else, an uptempo catchy song that you can listen to as a guilty pleasure. I do get a lot of enjoyment out of this song.

If you are going to remix a song I think its better to make it your own rather than just karaoke a close rearrangement of it and thats what Pretzel has done here, he made it his own with great success.

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00383 - Xenogears "7 Years Broken"