Xbox One

Honestly, I think another 3-5 years from now, people will want the kind of functionality that the XBone was offering. A knee jerk reaction to something different shows the immaturity of the gaming community on the whole. Moving away from physical copies of games makes sense in the long run, regardless of what we as gamers are used to.

No one's complaining about the fact that the Xbone can do more than just play video games. The vast majority of the complaints were about a) the online requirement, B) the used game shenanigans, c) the Kinect being necessary for the Xbone to function and always on even when the console's not, and d) the extra $100 compared to PS4. The first two are no longer an issue, since Microsoft has gotten rid of them, but the latter two are still legitimate reasons to prefer the PS4 over the Xbone.

Honestly, I think another 3-5 years from now, people will want the kind of functionality that the XBone was offering. A knee jerk reaction to something different shows the immaturity of the gaming community on the whole. Moving away from physical copies of games makes sense in the long run, regardless of what we as gamers are used to.

The problem never was people refusing to move away from physical copies. The problem here was choice. If I buy a physical copy I should be able to play it offline and do whatever the hell i want with it.

The other problem was restriction and ownership. If I buy a game on steam, I can play it offline now, and will be able to play it offline 20 years in the future. If you buy a game online on the xbone, there was absolutely no guarantee that you would be able to play that game in the future.

If I look casually at my friends list on xbox at any given time, there are more people watching netflix and hulu than there are playing games. Don't you think a company with such an overwhelming amount of money and resources knows what is in their best interest?

Indeed they knew what was in their best interests. What they didn't think was that the customer's interests would be more important.

No one's complaining about the fact that the Xbone can do more than just play video games. The vast majority of the complaints were about a) the online requirement, B) the used game shenanigans, c) the Kinect being necessary for the Xbone to function and always on even when the console's not, and d) the extra $100 compared to PS4. The first two are no longer an issue, since Microsoft has gotten rid of them, but the latter two are still legitimate reasons to prefer the PS4 over the Xbone.

The first two of which are directly related to a physical copy of the game.

Indeed they knew what was in their best interests. What they didn't think was that the customer's interests would be more important.

No.

Any company is in the business of making money. If they will make more money by pleasing their customer, then it is within their interest (e.g. Sony).

Let me be entirely clear here. I do not support the next xbox. I don't have any desire to support the direction microsoft has been taking lately. What I am asserting is that every single one of their decisions is justified and understandable, even if I don't like it. Even if the gaming community as a whole rejects it. The majority of consumers are in all likelihood looking for the exact functionality they had outlined would be available.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-20022530-75.html

Article from 2010, so take that into account.

No.

Any company is in the business of making money. If they will make more money by pleasing their customer, then it is within their interest (e.g. Sony).

That doesn't mean that a company can't make mistakes and bad guesses about what the customer actually wants.

Nintendo chose cartridges over disc-based games, and they lost to the playstation.

Sony chose to introduce the ps3 at an absolutely ridiculous price point because they thought the consumer would buy anything.

Microsoft thinks they can get away with stupid policies on the XBone without repercussions.

Sony has had a very hard time making money at all these last few years.

Do you have a source to back up this claim?

Also Microsoft is currently fiddling with their DRM due to 90% of people being against the Xbone. http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-drm-reversal-cuts-features-requires-one-time-514419715 But they're also cutting features.

Woah thats a pretty big bomb to drop. Basically everything that made the system a nightmare has been reversed?

I'm personally still not interested, but it just went from "OH GOD I'D NEVER EVER EVER EVER BUY ONE" to "I'm just not interested right now, maybe sometime in the future"

I tried to find someone that didn't involve poring over dull financial reports full of jargon. This graph isn't the best though...

http://www.statista.com/statistics/222296/net-income-of-sony-since-2008/

How the heck do you even read that? Makes it sound like they've lost 4.8 billion dollars in 2012. That's not even possible.

AND If anyone switches to Xbone because they removed the DRM (and also cut the best features of the console) then they are a fool! Thou shalt not reward this kind of behavior. If Xbone cared about gamers they wouldn't have done this in the first place. What's to stop them from adding it back a month after launch?

Honestly I doubt they will turn back from this after the console is launched. Could they possibly bring it back for the next xbox? yeah.

I think they've learned something here. If they turn back from this later, gamers can very well say "well we bought the console but we aren't buying any games for it if you bring back these policies", which is just as bad.

I think they've learned something here. If they turn back from this later, gamers can very well say "well we bought the console but we aren't buying any games for it if you bring back these policies", which is just as bad.

Consumers collectively aren't that organized, intelligent, and certainly don't have that much will power

People getting angry on the internet isn't the same as actually refusing to buy games that they want, particularly for a console they already own.

It's kind of a moot point because I also think there's little chance MS pulls a Sony and removes functionality after the fact, but it's pretty well established that boycotts aren't typically successful. I think this would be especially true considering the target audience

People getting angry on the internet isn't the same as actually refusing to buy games that they want, particularly for a console they already own.

It's kind of a moot point because I also think there's little chance MS pulls a Sony and removes functionality after the fact, but it's pretty well established that boycotts aren't typically successful. I think this would be especially true considering the target audience

If Microsoft hadn't backed off from this, I bet this boycott would've been pretty successful. There's a reason why they did it, and it's because they knew they were going to lose a lot of sales over it. A boycott after the release would've been a bit harder to pull off, but given this precedent it's certainly possible.

Brandon is correct. Don't reward this behavior. Companies are in business to make money and not for any other reason. But if you are a game company, your business should be the business of giving gamers what they want not trying to take away their ownership.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-drm-reversal-cuts-features-requires-one-time-514419715

Reading that article really bothered me. They didn't sound happy to please us at all which is supposed to be their business In the first place! Instead they sounded like they were complaining that they HAD to give us what we wanted. They said that they wanted to have the ability to have your games with you everywhere you go and I do not know what they are talking about. I was under the impression that your games are only with you when you visit one of the two or three friends of yours that have also owned an XBOX One for more than 30 days. Taking a game disc with me to a friend's house has never been a difficult thing for me and I have to use public transportation! And anywhere other than those friends' homes, your games will not even work. We were never going to have a game library that travels with us everywhere even with all their recently repealed DRM policies.

So, yeah. I really don't like their attitude, right now. This brings my rant to its conclusion.

I happen to agree. The fact that Microsoft tried to push such anti-consumer policies onto everyone as "features" that we should want, and if we didn't, then something was wrong with us? That has not sat well, and it really should not be forgotten just because they finally pulled their heads out of whatever hole they stuck them in.

Removing the DRM is one step forward. But there's still the issue of the Kinect being forcibly included and all the issues that entails, as well as the fact that you're still paying more for a technologically inferior piece of hardware to the PS4. Not to mention, they still sound utterly put out by the fact that we didn't want to put up with their nonsense. It reminds me of a spoiled kid dealing with a new babysitter, really.

And I'm not about to give 500 bucks to a spoiled kid for treating me like garbage. Not now, and not for the life cycle of the console. No one game on that thing will justify the kind of crap they *tried* to pull.

http://spong.com/article/29872/Microsoft-Were-Still-Heading-for-an-Xbox-One-Digital-Future

from the sounds of this article microsoft will be introducing the policies they backed down from later on in the consoles life cycle.

Microsoft lost all respect from me when they first rolled out these policies in the first place.

I refuse to reward this kind of spitting on its consumers rights and opinion.

Good luck m$ hope you burn your company to the ground with this venture.

Peace out homies