Sign in to follow this  
Joyzilla

Forum Avatars - RIP

I'm caught up on currently accepted avatars and pending fixes. You guys let me know when you have more, and thanks!

Well, here's Donatello from TMNT II. Thanks for uploading all the TMNT stuff I posted earlier.

donr.gif

This cropping really sucks, but it's the best I could do.

LT: That was good. Polo had a version that was more centered, but this would have been good regardless.

I commend you and your conscientious dedication, overseer of OC Avatars. The update put a big grin on my face. (insert emoticon here)

Speaking of yellow faces, here's Pac-Man in-game:

pac-man.gif

And to be honest, I think my own suitless Samus sub could use some tweaking. Namely, her head and feet cut off, and she's a bit dark. Perhaps this could replace her?

met1_samusnosuit.gif --> metroid_samus_no_suit.gif

I decided to give the Battletoads faces from the BT&DD select screen a go, so I'll post them when I have them ready.

Well, here's Donatello from TMNT II. This cropping really sucks, but it's the best I could do.

Maybe if you centered Don's face more. Like this:

tmnt2_donatello.gif

Also, the first "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Raphael" (the darker, closer face) would be from TMNT IV (I don't blame you though; we now have 4 turtles from 4 games, so a slight like that is almost expected).

LT: Tre bueno.

Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts

• Arthur Steel arthur-steel-sz.gif
  • Arthur Gold arthur-gold-sz.gif
  • Box Ghost box-ghost.gif

ActRaiser 2

• Master actraiser2-master.gif
  • Ghost Blob actraiser2-ghostblob.gif

Metal Slug 3

• Alien Float ms3-alienfloat.gif

LT: The ghost blob and the alien are good.

Super Metroid

• Nova metroid-nova.gif
  • Skultera metroid-skultera.gif
  • Squeept metroid-squeept.gif
  • Viola metroid-viola.gif

Zombies Ate My Neighbo(u)rs

• Zeke zombiesatemyneighbours-boy2-sz.gif
  • Julie zombiesatemyneighbours-girl2-sz.gif
  • "Doll" zombiesatemyneighbours-doll.gif
  • Dead Zombie zombiesatemyneighbours-zombiedead.gif

LT: Almost everything has bad resolution. May not be your fault, but the sprites aren't clear enough. Super Metroid's Viola, I just wasn't feeling the design. :-P

Yeah! Too bad his Converse shoes wouldn't fit though.

How come all the avatars are in a jumbled order anyway? They're not alphabetical, not chronological, just a mess. Even the recently added ones seem randomly placed. This is more out of curiosity than for the sake of critisism/improvement, btw.

Here be three fifths of the "Ultimate Team" as promised:

btdd_snes_zitz.gifbtdd_snes_rash.gifbtdd_snes_pimple.gif

Here's also the Mana Beast from Secret of Mana:

som_mana_beast.gif

LT: S'good.

Erm...? How does this work? Do we just post the avatars we made here? Cause that's what everyone else seems to be doing.

Okay, here goes. I made some avatars from Dynamite Headdy, for the genesis. Good ol' Treasure. The 32x32 restrictions posed a challenge for Headdy's sprites, leading me to crop out the top of his head/bottom of his feet...

Headdy - headdystand.GIF

Headdy Running - headdyrun.GIF

Headdy Panicked - headdypanic.GIF

Headdy Exasperated/Tired/Messed Up - headdymessed.GIF

LT: I'm not gonna add stuff where the cropping cuts stuff out. That just looks bootleg. Typically, you want to resize the image to fit the 32x32 limit. But for these, the sprites are so ugly that it's a no-go anyway.

Silly four image per post limit.

Trouble Bruin - bruin.GIF

Headcase - headcase.GIF

Hangman - hangman.GIF

Beau - beau.GIF

LT: The sprites are uglyz.

The last batch.

Generic Knight Enemy Guy - knightguy.GIF

Twin Freaks (Green) - twinfreaksgreen.GIF

Twin Freaks (Red) - twinfreaksred.GIF

Dark Demon - darkdemon.GIF

FUN GAME: mention twin freaks to ANYONE who has played Dynamite Headdy. Guess how long it will take for them to crawl into a corner and weep softly into a pillow!

LT: Genesis sprites are always dim for some reason. Brighten the Twin Freaks a bit and lemme see them then. Those could be good.

Heh, honestly, Twin Freaks were the only images I cared about. The rest was just "well if I'm doing them I may as well do a whole bunch more." I could care less about the other ones. Cropping = no fun.

So here you go. I'm kind of debating which one of these ones is better...

twinfreaksgreenbright.GIFtwinfreaksgreenbrightx.GIF

(they've both been modified from the original...would've put the original as well for comparison, but DARN THAT FOUR IMAGE LIMIT.)

The one on the right seems a little too bright...Oh well, you be the judge.

And as for the Red one...

twinfreaksred.GIF ---> twinfreaksredbright.GIF

This time the one on the left is the original, and the one on the right's the brightened one.

LT: Good deal.

Marvel vs. Capcom - Onslaught:

mvc_onslaught.gif

Namco x Capcom - Mega Man Juno:

nxc_mega_man_juno.gif

Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts - Arthur in his (Psycho) Underpants:

sgng_arthur_underpants.gif

SNK Gals' Fighters - Athena:

snkgalsfighters_athena.gif

LT: Give Arthur a good in-game background and I'd add it. Rest are bueno.

And the remaining Mega Man 7 password faces:

mm7_autopassword.gifmm7_drwilypassword.gifmm7_rollpassword.gifmm7_rushpassword.gif

LT: Thanks for completing the set!

Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts - Arthur in his (Psycho) Underpants:

sgng_arthur_underpants.gif

Ahahaaa

I can see this one becoming hugely popular.

Give Arthur a good in-game background and I'd add it.

One of these, maybe?

sgng_arthur1.gif

sgng_arthur2.gif

sgng_arthur3.gif

LT: 3 is the winner. Gracias. Funny, the nature of Arthur running makes the image look like a rectangle.

These are my first photoshop projects of anything, so...

Super Mario 3: P-Wing

P-Wing.gif

LT: I don't recall the pixels of the SNES P-Wing seeming this ugly. Was this scaled down or something?

Dracula X / Vampire's Kiss: Richter crouching

Char_Crouched-R.gif

LT: Nah. No need for a sprite of him crouching, plus the size of the image makes having a background weird. It should have been transparent.

I did what I could with 'em for the moment.

...Still looking for some decent images worth cropping of Eric Lecarde from Bloodlines.

I don't recall the pixels of the SNES P-Wing seeming this ugly. Was this scaled down or something?

*laughs* Sadly, yes. Copied, cropped, sized to 32x32. It's not getting any better than that unless I photoshop it myself.

...Second thought, I'm too lazy to even think that. I'll just find something else.

Pardon me for being slow on the uptake, but how did I get Crash as my avatar automatically? :P Whatever, thanks very much to everyone who contributed to the new icons.

My money's on Arek BTW. *munches popcorn*

LT: Nope.

I actually just now saw this, so sorry for not replying to this sooner.

No, I did not get that for you, but I probably somehow some way influenced it. Even if I didn't, I still want to take credit cause she mentioned me :P

So there I was, comparing the Azumanga Daioh avatars to one of Sakaki that I've been working on, when I noticed something curious. Yukari and Osaka in the (Anime) gallery are bitmaps with the names

azumanga_yukari1.gif.bmp

azumanga_osaka1.gif.bmp

From what I've seen, a bitmap takes up more space than the average image file. Just to be sure, I converted these two to GIF format, compared pixels, and found the GIFs to be exact replicas, but in a smaller package. So here's the non-BMP stand-ins:

azumanga_yukari1.gifazumanga_osaka1.gif

LT: Danke.

And of course, Sakaki:

azumanga_sakaki1.gif

And Kyon from Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya:

melancholyhs_kyon.gif

(Yep, it's the same defeated expression tried like 3 times prior, each time "not sharp enough" or similar.)

LT: The linework looks too pixelated. Not feeling it, until the image looks smoother.

I have assembled some Fire Emblem sprites because of the noticeable lack of them.

Eliwoodsprite.jpg

Eliwood

hectorsprite.jpg

Hector

Lynsprite.jpg

Lyn

guysprite.jpg

Guy

I have more, but I will first await the critiquing of these - they are all in more or less the same format, so if it's wasted effort to post the others, do let me know.

LT: Well, if these are actual game sprites, they're pretty ugly to me. Plus, these aren't properly centered. It also doesn't look right when a sprite about 40-45 pixels high is arbitrarily cropped. Better to resize and fit it within the 32x32 size limit.

Chrono Trigger - Ayla (profile):

ct_aylaface.gif

FF4 - Cecil as a Dark Knight (ditto):

ff4_cecildarkknightface.gif

Earthbound - Ramblin' Evil Mushroom:

mother2_ramblinevilmushroom.gif

And Tankman from the Flash cartoons on Newgrounds:

tankman.gif

LT: First 3 look cool. Don't we have Dark Knight Cecil already? Maybe I'm just thinking of FF4A. Tankman looks handdrawn; why not a resize from the Flash?

Megaman (Gameboy)

mmgbs.gifmmgbj.gif

LT: Yeah, these are good. I'm assuming they're MM1 for the Game Boy? Just let me know when you have a chance.

Yeah, Megaman 1. That's what I wrote right above the images. I'm pretty sure the megaman graphics are identical in all the gameboy megaman games (like they're the same in all the NES ones), but I could be wrong. Though, MM5 (and maybe MM4, too) was designed for the color gb, and I don't know what he would look like then. But this is definitely how he looks in the first 3.

Tankman looks handdrawn; why not a resize from the Flash?

Ahaha! Awesome video.