Sign in to follow this  
Joyzilla

Forum Avatars - RIP

I say you give all credit to Nineko. I tried to submit a Crash avatar myself but he did a better job than what I could pull off.

Yeah, I actually haven't been around much outside running PRC. College life - soon to transition to real life - is starting to get really demanding. I'm doing ok though.

I noticed two avatars cut off differently. Do these fixes look better?

mother2_robot.gif --> mother2_clumsyrobot.gif

lunar1_nall.gif --> lunar1_nall.gif

Also in the following categories:

Nintendo --> The R.C. Pro-Am car is called "Rcproam Brighter" (in case you wanna change it) and

Square ~ Final Fantasy --> "Ff4face Cecildarkknight" is actually Kain's mugshot.

LT: Thanks, bro. I appreciate the attention to detail more than you know. Everything should be fixed.

How about this kind of approach for the Pokémon D/P avatars?

#001 - Bulbasaur

001aw8.gif

#004 - Charmander

004je4.gif

#007 - Squirtle

007pa6.gif

#025 - Pikachu

025lr7.gif

Just want to check that these are okay before doing any more. If they are okay I'll take requested Pokémon avatars.

LT: Way too small. :-)

Fair enough. These are sprites taken from the game, and they are still bigger than the avatar I use:

007pa6.gif> terra_huball.gif

LT: Keeping in mind that Terranigma sprite looks a lot more detailed...

Mana_Dryad.gif

Mana_Gnome.gif

Mana_Lumina.gif

Mana_Luna.gif

i posted them before, there were "supposed" to be ok. i put them back here. Maybe i'm blind and didn't find them, or Larry changed is mind.

Mana_Salamander.gif

Mana_Shade.gif

Mana_Sylphide.gif

Mana_Undine.gif

LT: I don't recall approving those. I thought the sprites were ugly and blurry to begin with. No dice. :-D

Blurry I could see, but ugly? Maybe you don't like the art style, but that's no reason to reject avatars.

Also lol at "sd2 Marle". So true.

LT: Fixed.

Blurry I could see, but ugly? Maybe you don't like the art style, but that's no reason to reject avatars.

LT: It is when I'm in charge. When you're in charge, you can add all the blurry, ugly avatars you want. :lol:

LT: It is when I'm in charge. When you're in charge, you can add all the blurry, ugly avatars you want. :lol:

I'd only add the "ugly" ones. Rejecting avatars based on not liking the game's art style is akin to rejecting ReMixes based on not liking techno.

That said, I've decided to take your advice and announce my candidacy for avatar judge.

SAY NO TO PUBEFROS! VOTE DHSU!

LT: I don't recall approving those. I thought the sprites were ugly and blurry to begin with. No dice. :-D

is it worth trying to sharpen then, and then less blurry? or their ugliness is a no go whatever i try?

LT: No go, sir. Move on to greener pastures! :-)

Here's the hero from Abadox (NES):

abadox.gif

Kyle Blackthorne from Blackthorne (SNES):

blackthorne_kyle.gif

Rubas, end boss of Deadly Towers:

dt_rubas.gif

And an enemy witch from Namco x Capcom (PS2):

nxc_enemy_witch.gif

LT: In order, 1) can't tell what that is, 2) ugly, 3) ugly AND can't tell what that face is supposed to be, 4) YES

Saw this badass sig from The Shizz, courtesy of matsunami:

punchoutfinal.png

Could anyone make 32x32 images of the fighters with their regular faces, with the game background included? Could also be from the matchup screen, if those images don't look bad with a resize.

EDIT: Oh shit, don't forget Mr. Dream. :-)

These are cropped rather than resized.

punchout1kd8.gif

punchout2dj3.gif

punchout3tw8.gif

punchout4sx5.gif

punchout5id6.gif

punchout6ak5.gif

punchout7bi1.gif

punchout8pj6.gif

punchout9ei3.gif

punchout10cs3.gif

punchout11as4.gif

LT: My bad, I wasn't clear enough. I didn't want crops of those images; the pic I showed was just explaining why I made the request.

I was actually looking for something where the boxers weren't reeling after being punched in the face.

This has some good pics with the boxers in their corners.

Seems harder to get good shots of each boxer with their normal face during the fight and without the crowd in the face's background (Glass Joe example), but that's more of what I'm looking for.

The three factions from Supreme Commander:

Aeon - aeonxo5.gif

Cybran - cybransb7.gif

UEF - uefzj5.gif

LT: Too soft/blurry. Maybe giving them a colored background would help.

Shingo Yabuki and Rugal from The King of Fighters R-2:

kof_r-2_shingo_yabuki.gifkof_r-2_rugal.gif

Druaga from Namco x Capcom:

nxc_druaga.gif

And since Evilhead started giving borders (and backgrounds) to some Card Fighters avatars, do you suppose Juli, Shermie, Chun-Li, Kula, and Vanessa could use the same upgrades? To be consistent with the series, I mean.

svccard1_juli.gif (Capcom ~ Fighters)

svccard1_shermie.gif (SNK)

svccard2_chun-li.gif (Capcom ~ Fighters)

svccard2_kula.gif (SNK)

svccard2_vanessa.gif (SNK)

LT: Wasn't feeling any of the 3 new ones (ugly sprites), but thanks for the background updates on the existing ones we had in order to keep the look consistant. Nice work.

Here are the Final Fantasy IV Advance Portraits to use as avatars.

They have transparencies and should work fine.

LT: The sprites look a little ghetto with the resolution, but that's probably not your fault. No PNGs though. We use GIFs. If you can convert those to GIFs and not sacrifice the quality, we can do something with 'em.

Edit: I always felt .pngs were better than .gifs, but I can do it without losing the quality. Try them now. :) Oh wait, do they stretch to fit the 32x32 size? I can fix that so they don't stretch. Hang on.

Edit 2: Okay. NOW try them. They are 32x32. I just canvas sized them to that size so the original picture shouldn't stretch.

LT: Cool, thanks. With the exception of 2 or 3 ugly ones, I added all the FF4 GBA sprites you gave. Nice work.

Could anyone make 32x32 images of the fighters with their regular faces, with the game background included? Could also be from the matchup screen, if those images don't look bad with a resize.

EDIT: Oh shit, don't forget Mr. Dream. :-)

Since I made the Super Punch-Out!! avatars, might as well be the one to make the ones from the original as well. Here ya go, boss.

PunchOutCollection.png

Select the ones you like from here.

And on a random note, here's another Super Dodge Ball submission:

sdbrikiur1.gif

EDIT: and in honor Mr. McMahon in light of his recent car accident.

5ywehbt.gif

LT: SBD one is ugly, and the McMahon one is blurry, plus I wouldn't take a McMahon avatar anway. Awesome Punch-Out crops though, thanks very much for these. At some point, I may vary up the background color for them so they're not all blue/green, based directly on their intro screens, (e.g. Piston Honda: red, Super Macho Man: light blue). If you wanna do that any point, that would be sweet, but I don't know how readily available those screens are for every character.

Super Mario World - Mega Mole:

smw_megamole.gif

DuckTales - Magica DeSpell and Flintheart Glomgold:

dt_magica_despell.gifdt_flintheart_glomgold.gif

Lufia 2 - Gargoyle enemy:

lufia2_gargoyle.gif

Speaking of which, the Lufia avatars in the Sunsoft category are all from Lufia 2. Their names are:

Lufia 01 - Artea

Lufia 02 - carpenter

Lufia 03 - Maxim

Lufia 04 - Guy

Lufia 05 - Dekar (surprised)*

Lufia 06 - Selan

Lufia 07 - Tia (falling / jumping down)

Lufia 08 - Erim

Lufia 09 - Brinz Lizard

Lufia 10 - Amon

Lufia 11 - Venge Ghost

* this also appears as Lufia1_10.gif in the Miscellaneous category.

LT: Thanks so much for these new additions as well as all of the Lufia 2 fixes. Back when I added those, no specific information was given. I was sincerely hoping someone would eventually come along and provide more details, so I really appreciate the help.

May I suggest the following:

Barney the Dinosaur

Captain Planet

Captain Crunch

Hillary Clinton

Hillary Duff

Widget The World Watcher

Pocahontas (the little Indian girl)

Droopy The Dog

Inspector Gadget

Some real dinosaurs:

Tyranosaurus Rex

Brontosaurus

Dimetrodon

Pterodactyl

Bozo The Clown

Binky The Clown

Falkor The Luckdragon

Morla The Ancient One

Pippy Longstocking

Janet Jackson

Optimus Prime (duh!)

Aerial the little mermaid

Snow White and all the dwarves too

Mr. Clean

Mr. T

Chuck Norris

Bruce Lee

Bolo Yung

oh, and alternate-universe zombie Wolverine

Thank you and have a nice day.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot Jean-Claude Van Damme and Papa Smurf - those too please

somebody needs to put the JJ & Jeff avatars under Hudson Soft category, I had a hell of a time finding them

LT: Done. Hell, I had no idea JJ & Jeff was even a game until you posted. Thanks for the catch.

Thanks very much for the recent updates. Everything newly accepted has been added. Punch-Out!! is our recent large addition, courtesy of Solo!

LT: Cousins! :lol:

Punch-Out!! is our recent large addition, courtesy of Solo!

Fixed. ;P

Actually, I can supply some different background colors for the Punch-Out!! fighters. First, a comparing / contrasting pic:

2_punch-out_sets.png

Top row is Solo's bunch; bottom is mine with each boxer's background swapped for their intro screen hues (except for Mike Tyson, who shares Mr. Dream's blue screen, so I left his green to match his ring color). As requested, here's Piston Honda and Super Macho Man, plus Mr. Dream:

punch-out_piston_honda.gif

punch-out_super_macho_man.gif

punch-out_mr_dream.gif

Any more you want? As you can see, most have their own intro colors to begin with, some not so different from when they enter the ring.

LT: I'd value your input. In your opinions, what do you think makes for better icons? The main thing I'm concerned about if the avatars looking too similar if used en masse. The other option though is doing 32x32 versions (cropped to a square, then resized) of the intro screen portraits that would be available alongside the existing icons taken from the matches, leaving those backgrounds alone. If intro screen portraits aren't feasible at 32x32, then I'm leaning toward Polo's recolored material.