Final Fantasy Crystal Clash - Congratulations to Tuberz McGee and Eino Keskitalo!

Brandon Strader

Sorry for disappearing, had a really really busy week. Glad I wasn't mixing or I would probably be bailing right now :) I'll comb through the thread to see what i missed.

Garpocalypse and MindWanderer and also Tuberz:

Your tracks are hard to choose between, you are well matched for production and writing.

Garpocalypse: Your track confuses me a bit. It starts out so soft, a pad and harp, then a synth and some very rock-style drums, then with no warning, whammo... guitars and super fast drums. The guitar parts actually sound pretty good, but I don't think you've chosen the best synth timbres to go with them. Back and forth from super-soft/slow to very hard/fast sounding sections here... with no warning or signaling... need some transitions! The ideas are solid, they just have to flow better.

All of the leads in this one I changed at the last second and didn't bother to re-record the midi for them or really mix them. :) Leads and me don't jivemaster very well for some reason. Went for some shock value but I over did it. I was planning a rewrite but so far haven't had any time to work on it. When it gets done i'll have it up on the forums. Thanks for the comments!

Tuberz: That choir sounds really nice! That's the wordbuilder? I have to mess with that, I just got Symphonic Choirs myself. Makes for a really lovely, soft mix. Pretty track!

N'awwww. Thankies darl.

But yeah, the wordbuilder is pretty alright.

There are some syllables that get lost in the mix, and unfortunately dynamics are REALLY hard to articulate (in FL at least).

I'd love to get this performed and recorded by the VGM Choir perhaps. I dunno, They mightn't waste their time on me. :P

I still feel bad that my production just wasn't there for my mix though. :/

4 to 3 and 5 to 2 in the voting!
5 to 2 isn't really close, but I'm cool with that. I'm just happy that so many people thought it was close, when I felt mine was totally half-assed. Very encouraged for next time, knowing that if I'd submitted something up to my own standards I probably would have won, and I respect the hell out of Garpocalypse. Hoping to get a rematch someday when we're both more on our game.

I haven't started mine yet. This weekend is even worse than the last time I compo'd because the snow is just outrageous, and we are STILL sending out cement mixers, and a snow plow, from this warehouse, but I'm going to try to do most of the writing overnight and tomorrow morning if I can. It's just going to be so impossibly hard here and I don't got much time to finish up. I feel like I am letting the compo down by not getting stuff going a lot better :-( But I will do my best.

I feel like I am letting the compo down by not getting stuff going a lot better :-( But I will do my best.

Hey man, you're the one running the compo, you haven't let down anyone. We're all cool people (right?), we understand that sometimes life gets in the way of compos. Don't fret! :)

I've been trying for hours but it seems like using ASIO drivers with a bluetooth headset is just impossible. The only one I was able to get working without BSODs was Full Duplex, and even then the latency is just slightly too bad for me to record the midi keyboard at all. What I'm basically saying is this whole night/day is lost. It's going to be a rush on Sunday and probably another unfinished song. -_- I'm so depressed

Eino, I am going to do as good as I can, but PLEASE knock me out this week. Haha.

Edited by Brandon Strader

I feel bad cause I really meant to be following this compo from the beginning, but I have been so busy, I haven't had time to check out the music until now :( I just downloaded all the rounds though and have just started going through the first round for each bracket. There is some really good stuff here! Good job everyone! I particularly enjoyed Avaris, Hakstok, and Tuberz's mixes from the Light Bracket Round 1, awesome stuff :)

I'm going to check out the others today and make it a point to vote from here on out!

EDIT: cool, just listened to the rest. I was really digging Brandon's, timeaus222's, and Chernabogue's mixes from the Darkness Bracket Round 1. Everyone did a really good job though. I voted on the current round too.

Edited by SuperiorX

Well Ok, my mix is subbed. It is titled "Edward Zorn Gets a Haircut." Listen to it with the following warnings in mind:

1. This mix is seriously catchy. Be prepared to have it stuck in your head for quite awhile after you hear it. Hopefully this is a good thing, but consider yourself warned.

2. Yes, the voices are fake. The mix came into being because I started messing around with Omnisphere's "jazz voices" samples. (what better time than a compo to try things you've never done, right?) I'm sure they were never intended to be used as leads, but wow, that harmony! So yes, I am aware that the vocal samples are fake-sounding. Anyone who feels the need to point out to me that they are fake-sounding will receive a tomato to the face.

3. Anyone who says this mix is not seriously groovy despite the fakeness of the samples will likewise receive a tomato directly to the face. Don't say you weren't warned.

4. It's short, I know, I know. Shortest thing I've ever written. But do you really need more of it?

There is ONE real vocal sample in this mix. The final "yeah" was recorded by our own XPRTNovice. Thanks Joe!

tl;dr - so fake, many harmony, much yeah

Source usage:

Intro (0:00 to 0:07) is Zorn & Thorn

Main verse (0:20 to 0:47) is Edward

Chorus (0:47 to 1:14) is Edward. The trumpets in this section are playing the Zorn & Thorn theme, but in reverse order from the source.

Transition verse (1:14 to 1:26) is Zorn & Thorn

Final verse (1:28 to end) is Edward

And now you must wait until midnight to hear it...

Im suprised by the number of defaults actually. I figured this would get real brutal after the first round.

It may have gotten brOOtal, if people didn't forget to enter. :-P

Oh, right. It's 12:10AM. I was listening to music and forgot to start on the stuff. I'll get it up soon.

Well, ChimpaZilla and ChernaBogue are moving ahead by default. The only voting this week will be between Evktalo (Eino Keski..talos... y'all mudafugas need it) and me.

Next Round... Garpocalypse, Avaris, and Tuberz McGee vs......

Mix your theme with GILGAMESH, and any other character themes from your round you'd like to cameo, but call your mix Artist Name - Song Title (Your Character vs. Gilgamesh)

The three heroes enter the next room only to be greeted by the colossal and silly Gilgamesh who is prepared to make mincemeat out of the minstrels.

Grab current Darkness Bracket mixes here!

Edited by Brandon Strader