Final Fantasy Crystal Clash - Congratulations to Tuberz McGee and Eino Keskitalo!

Brandon Strader

I don't care if I am double posting but this is tough! Beatrix is in 3/4 and Cry in Sorrow has no discernible key. The whole riff is based around 4 notes all within a half step of each other.

Good luck and god speed!

I dunno, looking at some MIDI's it seems to be something like B Major, or something like that.

I don't care if I am double posting but this is tough! Beatrix is in 3/4 and Cry in Sorrow has no discernible key. The whole riff is based around 4 notes all within a half step of each other.

Good luck and god speed!

After one day I realized this is loads tougher than I thought it was going to be. I know I am going to have some 'splaining to do when it comes to my use of Barrett's theme. It won't be immediately recognizable!

Good luck and god speed!

Is this the

you're talking about? Because that's literally the main theme of Final Fantasy IV slowed down, and is very much just in a regular old minor key. Edited by DarkeSword

Is this the
you're talking about? Because that's literally the main theme of Final Fantasy IV slowed down, and is very much just in a regular old minor key.

It is that theme. You are correct in a sense it sounds like it is in a Minor key. The melody is almost verbatim. There is one big difference between this source and the main theme. The arpeggio is not in any apparent key:

http://sonic-elements.com/cryins.png

The 1st 4 bars contain F, F#, G, G#. The track derives significant emotion from this. It makes working with the track difficult. This arpeggio is present in the 2nd half main theme:

http://sonic-elements.com/main.png

However in the main theme, these notes are played extremely fast, decreasing the apparent dissonance to the human ear. Also they are accompanied by apparent chord changes.

My theory skills are beginner level. Remixing Cry in Sorrow while maintaining the emotion of the original is a big challenge. Hopefully it will help me to improve in this area. It is one of the main reasons I chose it as my track and why this competition is so appealing to me personally. To help improve apparent weaknesses I have as a musician. :sleepdepriv:

Alright, I see what you mean, but that doesn't mean that the key is indiscernible. The song is in Bb minor. That's the key. Bb's the root and the quality of the key is minor.

The second chord in the progression however is ostensibly not in the key because the minor 6th (Gb) is augmented to a major 6th (G natural) to match what's happening in the melody. That's okay. It doesn't screw up the key at all, the progression is just adjusting harmonically to fit the accidental in the melody.

The G moves down to Eb in the melody, which gives us a pretty strong interval to work off of, and since the background line (what you're calling the arpeggio) leans pretty strongly on Bb at the bottom (Bb G Ab G Bb G Ab G), we get three notes that fit pretty well together: Eb G and Bb, aka an Eb major chord.

Try using Eb major (i.e. major 4th chord) as the second chord in your progression. The rest of the progression should fit nicely into Bb minor.

Yeah, that's some theory skills. Can we all get DarkeSword remixing guidance? :lol: Now Avaris has an advantage!

Haha well I am actually using Beatrix's chords for this track. Too late to turn back now. Basically I will have to have this finished by 12-2pm on Saturday. Thank god my girlfriend is pulling a couple night shifts at the hospital this week so I got some time during the evenings.

Really excited to hear everyone's tracks!

Yeah, that's some theory skills. Can we all get DarkeSword remixing guidance? :lol: Now Avaris has an advantage!

"Works to my advantage too" is what I would say if I knew enough about theory to put that information to use. :?

EDIT: Well...that's not entirely true. It does help me a little bit.

Edited by Cash

Orchestral with mostly strings and live guitar.
Pretty much what I was going to say :)
Yeah' date=' maybe give me some inspiration too.[/quote']
oh

I already started doing that.

Think I might need to start over and try something else. :(
I'm doing orchestral with mostly strings and sampled guitar, does that count as something different?

This is actually kind of creepy.