Final Fantasy Crystal Clash - Congratulations to Tuberz McGee and Eino Keskitalo!

Brandon Strader

FYI, Brandon got the number 24 from what I used to put in my tournament threads, which is admittedly confusing because I've never actually explained why that number would work. I've always had a contingency plan in place on how to lock the number of contestants into 24 and make the tournament work if 32 couldn't be reached.

I've PMed Brandon about it and it seems to be something he's interested in doing if only 24 people sign up, so don't worry about the tournament working out properly. Just get your friends to sign up so you all can hit either 24 or 32 (and FYI, my plan also works for 48).

FYI, Brandon got the number 24 from what I used to put in my tournament threads, which is admittedly confusing because I've never actually explained why that number would work. I've always had a contingency plan in place on how to lock the number of contestants into 24 and make the tournament work if 32 couldn't be reached.

I've PMed Brandon about it and it seems to be something he's interested in doing if only 24 people sign up, so don't worry about the tournament working out properly. Just get your friends to sign up so you all can hit either 24 or 32 (and FYI, my plan also works for 48).

8 groups of 3, people from each group go vs each other, winners of each group go to the quarterfinals? That's how I'd do it :)

That would take 6 weeks for groups, 2 weeks for quarterfinals, 2 weeks for semifinals, 1 week for final, 11 weeks... maybe a little too much? The alternative with seeded competitors (8 seeded ones go into 1/8th finals, 16 others have a play-off) would take 9 weeks.

...we should try to hit at least 24 people by next Sunday, anyway! So call in your favors with remixing buddies if you need to, and let's make this kick butt. :-)

And to clear up any worries about not "being good enough" or anything like that, don't worry about that. This isn't about winning and it's not about making the perfect song. At its core this competition is about learning, and practicing. It's unusual to finish a whole mix in a week, and all the polish involved, but this competition can help you start learning your own mental shorthand that could help you out a lot in the long run.

It helped me (With DarkeSword's compos, and One Hour Compo on ThaSauce)

That's probably why I have so many mixes on OCR. :-/

So please, do not be upset, you will do great -- all you have to do is list your picks!

Edited by Brandon Strader

And to clear up any worries about not "being good enough" or anything like that, don't worry about that. This isn't about winning and it's not about making the perfect song. At its core this competition is about learning, and practicing. It's unusual to finish a whole mix in a week, and all the polish involved, but this competition can help you start learning your own mental shorthand that could help you out a lot in the long run.

My worry isn't that I'm "not good enough". I'm not, but that's okay because more music is never the wrong answer and everybody starts somewhere and blah blah blah. My problem is that I don't want to take anybody's pick from them and then wind up producing garbage or not finishing in time.

I'd feel super bad if somebody's favorite theme got snatched from them and then not even done justice. So I'm kinda sitting around waiting until near the end so I can pick the least picked.

...we should try to hit at least 24 people by next Sunday, anyway! So call in your favors with remixing buddies if you need to, and let's make this kick butt. :-)

It helped me (With DarkeSword's compos, and One Hour Compo on ThaSauce)

That's probably why I have so many mixes on OCR. :-/

So please, do not be upset, you will do great -- all you have to do is list your picks!

I'll just quote something I've heard many times here since it's relevant.

"The only way to lose a compo is to not participate."

That holds true just as much with this as with any compo.

My worry isn't that I'm "not good enough". I'm not, but that's okay because more music is never the wrong answer and everybody starts somewhere and blah blah blah. My problem is that I don't want to take anybody's pick from them and then wind up producing garbage or not finishing in time.

I'd feel super bad if somebody's favorite theme got snatched from them and then not even done justice. So I'm kinda sitting around waiting until near the end so I can pick the least picked.

Don't worry, go ahead and make your picks. We only need like 4 more people to get this going. There's a list of what people chose in the spreadsheet in the first post, if you just pick something that isn't someone else's first pick, it will be fine. Don't worry! Just have fun with it and make something cool. Just by participating you'll be a WINNAR.

Edit: this document and click on "Roster"

I like the idea of 3 groups 8 people. The finals could be the winner of each group. The final would be 3 people 3 sources against each other. That would be epic!

DarkeSword gave me a cool idea for the 24 option, it will be made clear soon enough! I hope you guys like it.

Edited by Brandon Strader

If someone has to go beyond their 3 choices because of coin flip losses, yes, I'll probably have to pm them to get new choices. It shouldn't be too bad of a deal, there's still a lot of great stuff to choose from.

There are no conflicts yet, so theoretically everyone currently has their 1st choice. But if someone conflicts out of the next 4 people we get, we may need the coin flips.

If someone has to go beyond their 3 choices because of coin flip losses, yes, I'll probably have to pm them to get new choices. It shouldn't be too bad of a deal, there's still a lot of great stuff to choose from.

There are no conflicts yet, so theoretically everyone currently has their 1st choice. But if someone conflicts out of the next 4 people we get, we may need the coin flips.

Well that's good news (insofar).

So stoked for this compo :tomatoface:

edit: Looks like there needs to be just one more participant?

--Eino

YUP!! You stealth-weaseled your way in, and there's only one spot left. :lol:

Thank you so much to the 3 folks who put up lists last night. I've added them to the roster. Now, we just wait for one more person, which should be easy. If we manage to get him/her early before Sunday, I can try to quickly get everything else ready (the randomized brackets, maybe even some of the images) to get this started on Sunday night at midnight EDT.