Nintendo Wii

Smoke

What? As far as I'm aware, most of the industry does not function that way, as much as companies want otherwise.

Most of my statement was trying to be sarcastic but sometimes I get the feeling that some reviews were bought/influenced to bump up the score a bit.

Not sure if this was mentioned here yet, but the Dojo now has EVERY special move listed on the character pages. Those sneaky goons, updating the Dojo behind our backs!

Hmm, from all the Demo footage, combined with the Japanese TV commercials and Dojo screenshots, it looks like we already knew what all the moves were after all!

Well, except for maybe the Pokemon Trainer's unannounced moves, but those were pretty easy to guess....

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/pokemon_trainer.html

Oh wait, Wario's up-special "Corkscrew" is news to me. I wonder what it could be...?

What? As far as I'm aware, most of the industry does not function that way, as much as companies want otherwise.

I agree, though trusting businesses in Japan is always somewhat iffy because of the constant Yakuza presence in entertainment mediums (not sure about gaming media) and all sorts of weird corruptive practices.

I think Famitsu is decently honest, then again, they rated some games way too highly even when I thought they were great. Wind Waker never, ever deserved a perfect score. And of course, the laughable perfect for Nintendogs, a yet another game I liked, but perfect?

I do think SSBB probably deserves it though, but I'm just iffy about Famitsu's scale of a 'perfect' game when I think at least a few dozen more should be in that pantheon if they're willing to go that far with perfect scores. Somewhat like how EGM rates games.

Most of my statement was trying to be sarcastic but sometimes I get the feeling that some reviews were bought/influenced to bump up the score a bit.

I understand your feelings, but Famitsu is generally pretty darn reputable. I agree that some of their ratings were way off on specific occasions (such as the instances i-n-j-i-n mentioned), but for the most part they tend to ballpark very it well.

If it's true I don't know what to say other then that sucks...Original article here

For those who want a quick summary, the article is a quote from Goichi Suda, known for the upcoming game, "No More Heroes," who says that third-party Wii games aren't selling.

My take on this is, "Well, DUUHH!!" Take a look at the majority of third-party games on the Wii right now, and most of them are horrible. Granted, there are some exceptions to the rule, but even the best third-party games are remakes or ports of previous installments. The worst part about so many of these third-party games is that the previews seemed awesome at the time, but playing them was a different story, such as Red Steel, all of the racing games so far, and most of the shooters, such as Call of Duty 3 and Far Cry. So until the Q&A departments of these third parties start raising the bar, the games will continue to get crappy reviews, and the games won't sell.

For those who want a quick summary, the article is a quote from Goichi Suda, known for the upcoming game, "No More Heroes," who says that third-party Wii games aren't selling.

My take on this is, "Well, DUUHH!!" Take a look at the majority of third-party games on the Wii right now, and most of them are horrible. Granted, there are some exceptions to the rule, but even the best third-party games are remakes or ports of previous installments. The worst part about so many of these third-party games is that the previews seemed awesome at the time, but playing them was a different story, such as Red Steel, all of the racing games so far, and most of the shooters, such as Call of Duty 3 and Far Cry. So until the Q&A departments of these third parties start raising the bar, the games will continue to get crappy reviews, and the games won't sell.

<3 Suda 51

Not much of an RPG element as it is a stipulation. I like the system in which you can actually LOSE something instead of only gaining. I thought the award system was always unbalanced in SSBM that way.

So has anyone picked up Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles? Many of the initial reviews at E3 or E for All or whatever didn't come out too shining, but it's been a while since then, and supposedly it's selling well. Is it worth the $50, or is it better off as a rent?

If the insanely well featured and polished Call of Duty 4 for the 360 costs $50, you'd have to be a lunatic to buy Umbrella Chronicles for the same. I mean, Umbrella Chronicles is decent, but once you're done, you probably won't play it many times again. It's totally a rental. A good rental, but I'd imagine it'd be a horrible investment to buy it.

So has anyone picked up Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles? Many of the initial reviews at E3 or E for All or whatever didn't come out too shining, but it's been a while since then, and supposedly it's selling well. Is it worth the $50, or is it better off as a rent?

As the above poster wrote, if your not a die hard resident evil fan, rent, because you can beat it in a day. Its fun while it last but it really is short. It is deffinetly worth playing though, especially if you like the old light gun arcade games.

Not much of an RPG element as it is a stipulation. I like the system in which you can actually LOSE something instead of only gaining. I thought the award system was always unbalanced in SSBM that way.

If the insanely well featured and polished Call of Duty 4 for the 360 costs $50, you'd have to be a lunatic to buy Umbrella Chronicles for the same. I mean, Umbrella Chronicles is decent, but once you're done, you probably won't play it many times again. It's totally a rental. A good rental, but I'd imagine it'd be a horrible investment to buy it.

I found it makes for a good purchase as a fun drinking/party game once you've unlocked the unlimited ammo on the secondary guns, but generally, it's true that only a diehard lightgun/RE gamer will want to pick this title up.

2007's NPD games sales reports: Original article here

Nintendo DS and Wii Finish as the No. 1 and No. 2 Best-Selling U.S. Systems

REDMOND, Wash., Jan. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Nintendo DS and Wii finished strong in 2007, commanding sales in the holiday shopping period and finishing the year as the two best-selling video game systems in the United States, according to new data just released by the independent NPD Group. Nintendo DS was the top-selling U.S. system of 2007, with nearly 8.5 million sold, including more than 4 million in November and December alone. Wii placed second, with nearly 6.3 million sold through the year, more than 2.3 million of which sold in the final two months.

-- Nintendo accounted for 52 percent of all video game hardware systemssold in 2007 -- more than all other manufacturers combined.

-- Since their respective launches, Nintendo has sold more than17.6 million Nintendo DS systems and nearly 7.4 million Wii systems inthe United States alone.

-- Half of the top 30 best-selling games of 2007 were made for Nintendo systems

-- Nintendo continues to dominate the hand-held market: Of the top 30 best-selling portable games sold in 2007, 25 were made for Nintendo DS and another two were made for Game Boy® Advance.

-- Sales of Nintendo DS systems grew 60 percent over those from 2006.

-- In 2007, the video game industry grew by 43 percent over 2006. Nintendo is responsible for 60 percent of that growth.