Nintendo Wii

Smoke

I've gone on record a few times saying the Wii is a piece of shit but I might actually pickup Boom Blocks. It looks very interesting. That is very sad about the Metroid/retro studio losing some people. I think they might have done all they could really do with the Prime series though.

My friend got Mario Kart Wii tonight, and I have to say I'm disappointed. It was fun for a little bit, but then it was just annoying since it's so luck based. The game does look great though, and I love the stages.

It seems that Nintendo doesn't like people that are good at their games, so they want to give everyone a chance to win at least once :P

Guess I'll just have to play it some more.

I've gone on record a few times saying the Wii is a piece of shit but I might actually pickup Boom Blocks. It looks very interesting. That is very sad about the Metroid/retro studio losing some people. I think they might have done all they could really do with the Prime series though.

Of all the games to convince you to get a wii, you're picking Boom Blocks? How could you ignore Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Princess, and so many others? Boom Blocks looks like an adventure into mediocre land...

So my wife and I are high right now, playing Wii Bowling. Going into the 10th and final frame, I'm winning 162-141. On the last frame, my wife proceeds to hit three consecutive strikes. Meanwhile, I end up hitting only 8 out of 10 pins. She ends up winning 171-170. Man, what a crushing defeat.

Of all the games to convince you to get a wii, you're picking Boom Blocks? How could you ignore Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Princess, and so many others? Boom Blocks looks like an adventure into mediocre land...

Your lack of reading comprehension scares me.

:D

Earthbound is coming to VC. Everyone should buy it, even if they already own the game. Then, maybe Nintendo will bring over Mother 3 due to the how many people bought it :P

Search for Earthbound

http://www.esrb.org/index-js.jsp

Yay. I've wanted to play this game, so after however long it takes Nintendo to post it I'll finally get to!

EDIT: Boo, still no esrb rating for anything Mega Man or Majora's Mask for Wii, so I guess some other games I'm most hoping for on VC aren't even in the pipeline yet.

Ah, yes, Earthbound.

The only kinds of RPGs that have interested me so far are ones with Mario in them, and ones made by Bioware. Should I still give this game a chance, regardless?

Only if you want to play one of the greatest RPG's ever made. Yes! It is rather light-hearted like a Nintendo game should be.

I've beaten it twice.

Random question about the wii when you buy it, what all does one come with, and what should I expect to have to buy seperately?

My dad is thinking of getting me one (and himself a 360) when he returns from Iraq, but he doesn't know what all comes with it, and neither do I, neither of us are in a possition to go to a store and ask.

I've looked around for info but I've never been great at finding information online, and that holds true in this case. So I decided to ask you all.

It comes with one Wiimote and one Nunchuk for controllers. Comes with Wii Sports and the necessary cable for SDTVs. If you want component video instead of composite video you'll need to buy a wii component cable separately.

You don't need memory cards or SDCards for wii games but you will need a gamecube memcard and controller for gamecube games. None of that's included.

For most VC games, they use more buttons than the Wiimote has so you'd want to buy a GC controller or a classic controller.

Indeed. All you need is Twilight Princess and an SDCard to jump into Wii Homebrew.

This won't let you use Gamecube mode homebrew (Without a modchip you'll need an action replay + an SD Gecko) but a lot of stuff is being ported to Wii mode. Open Source at work.

Unfortunately, Wii mode homebrew can't read form the DVD yet, so you need to use an SD Card to store your stuff.

But this means that really, the only purpose of a wii modchip now is to pirate wii/gc discs. Homebrew is possible without one thanks to this hack.

Interestingly, homebrewers are working on USB Mass Storage support - they already have a demo out that lists directory contents. This means that soon, we'll be able to attach a USB hard drive and use it for homebrew (ROM, save, config storage for homebrew emulators, for example).

And if any of you are programmers, I've written a guide to set up the development environment, if you want to get cracking on writing your own software for Wii.

Apparently this has been out for a while, but I just found out about the Twilight Hack, which lets you run homebrew (e.g. emulators, MP3 player, Linux, etc.) without a modchip. Pretty exciting stuff. Day of the Tentacle on a big-screen TV with Wiimote controls? Yes, please.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does this let the average Wii user do now?

Thanks, now when we get a chance we have to just find one. It seems online places gauge the cost, but store locations hide their wiis from the public eye.

Wheee.

Best thing I could suggest would be to search out smaller towns around where you live at

Sometimes you can find them outside of town easier than you could in-town. I know that's how I found mine.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does this let the average Wii user do now?

It lets you run user-made, aka homebrew, applications on your Wii from an SD card. Here's a list of stuff that's been released so far. The most useful things will probably be the various emulators that have been ported already, and media players if you're the home theater type of guy. Also definitely check out OpenTyrian if you never played the original.

Hopefully they'll release a free web browser sometime soon as well.

Best thing I could suggest would be to search out smaller towns around where you live at

Sometimes you can find them outside of town easier than you could in-town. I know that's how I found mine.

Maybe I should try to find one before leaving Denton then...finding a "smaller town" around where I live outside of College is pretty much impossible. (San Antonio=Massive Sprawl).

Twighlight Hack sounds really neat.