HOW COULD YOU NO THIS

Nase

I don't have any qualms with anything because almost all the tracks don't link the original (I remember reading it wasn't like that before but after deliberation this was the best course of action). Concerning the track you linked, I was unfamiliar with the original so I went and listened to that (and other permutations of the theme that seem to exist). If I had to guess, a major aspect of why it wasn't accepted must have had to do with the composition effort. I don't think its wrong to simplify things but the original seems to have a lot more going in terms of writing and thematic structure. A lot of that appears lost here. What we get instead is a pretty straight forward lukewarm hard rock take with some pretty middling tonality too.

I'm sure there are folks who do enjoy it but I think, even as hobbyists, the bar for creativity is much higher at OCR than is displayed in this piece. I would take that a step further personally and say that goes especially for anything pure rock. I think its both a blessing and a curse of a long lived community that continually has new contributions. As more and more people try to bring their take on it, the skill levels displayed and the attempts at creation become more, well, skillful and creative. I wasn't here in 2009 but I was listening to OC Remixes and I think maybe this wouldn't have met the bar then and I would say it definitely wouldn't meet it now. 

That being said, I'm not a judge, I'm also technically your junior here as a fellow ReMixer and while I respectfully disagree, I can also see why maybe you'd feel the way you do about this song. Maybe the thread is here somewhere and I can read their thoughts.

edit: found the thread and (years later lol) I seem to have echoed some of the judges thoughts. Very much simplified and a bit (in the most neutral sense of the word) uninspired in terms of creativity. They loved the big ol' riffs though.

Edited by H36T

I didn't vote on this but the production quality is an easy bar for this being accepted, as is the cutoff ending which makes it sound incomplete.

Aside from that it's very conservative, using similar instrumentation and an arrangement that only differs in how often it loops material, so that'd probably also knock this one down, too.

There are tracks that I respectfully raise an eyebrow to the overall decision (every judge has their opinion, it isn't always easy to make a choice!), but with due respect this isn't one of those tracks.

i know it isn't, especially today. i think this was submitted in 2003ish though, and i loved it back then. still like it. always wanted to make a good starcraft terran remix since.

i just randomly came across it on youtube and thought hey, why not make a stupid thread. i think it has a lot of mojo for being such a simplistic semi - cover, and it would've been well liked. i know that's not what ocr is about, ofc.

maybe someone else can think of something. i used to listen to many other failed submissions back then...

sometimes the passage of times changes things a lot. maybe a judge has some choice tunes that didn't make it but became absolute favorites of theirs.

one thing i always thought is that if a remix is very similar compositionally but has exceptional "mojo" for lack of a better explanation, exceptions should be possible. not that i'm saying this mix is it - just in general.

while i am at it - 

this, 5 years later, was the next thing that convinced me that a really good starcraft terran remix could be one of the best things to ever grace the earth.

good ol' relliK on keys btw.

Artist: Rellik (Adam Lederer) [ReMixer] - ReMixes - OC ReMix

o hey, he has 4 OCRemixes just like me.

hey larry, thanks for the encouragement. reading that made me happy.

i got nothing to send in. my last musical productivity burst is 4-5 years back, and it was all originals back then.

in case i regain my musical marbles, i sure have a few remixes in mind. tunes i wanted to do well forever. starcraft terran music is a good example. that stuff is hard to do justice.

i'll probably have to do a lot of fun and easy stuff to get to a level where i can do the kind of (OC) remixes i envision, again. back in 2008 it was OLR that made that possible. today...i gotta find my own projects to get me back in shape. maybe this winter. crossing fingers as well.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, I have a few things to say here lol.  First of all I hadn't listened to many tracks before they got approved here, but I should have back in the day.  What I do remember is checking out the ocremix competitor at the time everyone used to rag on (definitely can't remember the name and pretty sure it has been gone for awhile.)  There were definitely some fun remixes on there, but I definitely appreciate OCR standards.

Secondly, anyone remember the peoples remix competition?  Shoot, or that's what I was going to ask and then I googled it and apparently it's still a thing?  Some of those remixes were my favorite songs back in the day.  What I would like to know is, where are all the prx remixes below prc 94?  Ironically that's where all my favorites were, though fortunately I still have most of them saved.  But cmon, there were some absolute gems in there.  Like Sir_NutS Rusty Whip (from Castlevania) and General Slicer's 'Not Bomberman' (I can link them if you all want.)  Those songs are some of my absolute favorite remixes of all time, I also love working out to them -- that said, how are they not OCremixes? lol   (prc link that show it only goes down to prc94 for some reason https://compo.thasauce.net/compos/view/PRC )

Anyhow, lastly, but not leastly, you were talking Terran theme remixes being some of the best possible things to grace the earth.  While I can see why the one you posted isn't up to OCR standards even though its alright -- I do agree regarding Terran remixes/covers.  I looked far and wide awhile back and there are a couple remixes/covers that blew me out of that water.  Hope you guys will be glad to hear them, and maybe someone will be inspired to make a 'true remix' of Terran 2 (or any of them really, but I think we all love Terran 2.)

One bonus because this Terran 3 cover is so damn good as well

Edited by Atomicfog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

the bass on the first one sure is great. the slapping, plus all the pedal fx use to make it sound like a completely faithful upgrade. 

i've been listening to terran 1-3 for so long when i go out with headphones. must've clocked in over 100 times in the last year.

i like everything about the OG tracks. my appreciation for the arrangement and mixing kept growing. i mean i love the tunes, but i love their sound equally by now.

completely sweet spot between BGM and rocking for me. not obtrusive, but as rockin as can be if you try progrock with that kind of midlate 90's soundset.

i think the holy grail for SC terran remixes would be to pay equal amounts of homage to both the tunage and the peculiar prog/BGM makeshift mix, without copying too hard.

and the megamix idea by BattleCake seems good to me. Terran 1-3 are totally a single progrock suite. but it has to be intervowen and stuff. could be pretty conservative, could be completely insane, because between the 3 tracks you have just sooo many motifs to work with. you can generate hundreds of completely unique mixes from the terran 1-3 idea pool.

yeah that's just my idea. not starting work on it anytime soon i think, because...well i need more chopz and/or luck. but maybe i can start saving some patches that sound starcrafty, and making some bullshit music with them. yeah, starcraftian mockup. crappy alternate universe OST version. sounds great in theory.

has anyone here tried their hand at sounding kinda like the SC Terran mixes? i think it should be fun.

Edited by Nase

man i used to have a burned cd of the entire starcraft soundtrack that i would listen to ALL the time on my way to/from school and work back in the early-mid 2000s

i believe you're talking about something like this in the second half of your post? sam did a couple of these but this is the only one to have survived his wiles on the internet:

On 2/23/2024 at 5:23 AM, Nase said:

the bass on the first one sure is great. the slapping, plus all the pedal fx use to make it sound like a completely faithful upgrade. 

i've been listening to terran 1-3 for so long when i go out with headphones. must've clocked in over 100 times in the last year.

i like everything about the OG tracks. my appreciation for the arrangement and mixing kept growing. i mean i love the tunes, but i love their sound equally by now.

completely sweet spot between BGM and rocking for me. not obtrusive, but as rockin as can be if you try progrock with that kind of midlate 90's soundset.

i think the holy grail for SC terran remixes would be to pay equal amounts of homage to both the tunage and the peculiar prog/BGM makeshift mix, without copying too hard.

and the megamix idea by BattleCake seems good to me. Terran 1-3 are totally a single progrock suite. but it has to be intervowen and stuff. could be pretty conservative, could be completely insane, because between the 3 tracks you have just sooo many motifs to work with. you can generate hundreds of completely unique mixes from the terran 1-3 idea pool.

yeah that's just my idea. not starting work on it anytime soon i think, because...well i need more chopz and/or luck. but maybe i can start saving some patches that sound starcrafty, and making some bullshit music with them. yeah, starcraftian mockup. crappy alternate universe OST version. sounds great in theory.

has anyone here tried their hand at sounding kinda like the SC Terran mixes? i think it should be fun.

I'm glad you liked that one since I don't know too many people who share quite the same enthusiasm for those tracks -- though I'm sure many share the sentiment to some degree. 

That's a lot of times to listen to those tracks, haha.  Personally I try not to over listen to gems or it's harder for me to get the same enjoyment out of them, but on the other hand I definitely do the same with some songs because it's, perhaps, too hard to resist.  Though you definitely get another level of appreciation as well.

Oh btw, since you're so into the starcraft soundtrack would you agree with me that the forensic files theme must have somehow had someone involved in making it that worked on the Starcraft music? lol I feel like this stuff is definitively starcraft brand space music.

But yeah, overall I would love to hear your auditory vision of an interwoven starcraft theme mix.  I can kind of imagine how it might be.  Hopefully someone will pull that off if you don't. That sounds legit.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

yeah, it's a similar sound. but without any real compositional meat.

On 2/27/2024 at 6:55 PM, Red Shadow said:

man i used to have a burned cd of the entire starcraft soundtrack that i would listen to ALL the time on my way to/from school and work back in the early-mid 2000s

i believe you're talking about something like this in the second half of your post? sam did a couple of these but this is the only one to have survived his wiles on the internet:

he showed me this back then. it's a good mockup thing, but doesn't really do justice to starcraft.

i was thinking about finding and posting it, actually. so thanks, shadow!

shna is a genius, but this one is just a little creative project of his from a looong time ago, and it neither captures the energy of the sound of the OST, nor is it quite there compositionally. 

it's still very fucking good. illustrates what i was getting at perfectly. like, my mockup would be much worse

i guess my emphasis is: the starcraft ost is really really good. like, much better than a lot of good albums. my opinion.

ok, part of my appreciation of the OST is that i think we are embroiled in a global war about what is human these days, and the terran themes have become emblematic to me. they're a symbol to me.

i just cannot deny that. 

that's why i have listened to them for so many times.

it's definitely grounded in the awesomeness of the compository amazingnesss though.

ha

seriously, starcraft

what a good story!!!! terrans all the way!

ZERG MUST DIE!!!!

Edited by Nase

in principle. they're not the very best tunes. but i managed to prove to myself that i can still make music while hearing voices. cause that shit started around that time, 2017-18.

these days, i can cancel out the voices a bit better and am accustomed to it, but i definitely lost my muse on the way. 2019-21 was fucking terrible for me. 

it's fucking weird...i am sorta deconstructing the principle of "happy accidents", or i guess musical luck, whenever i try to sequence. but i don't reach that point often anymore where it just takes me over and i gotta do that tune, you know?

i am much more alive than 3 years ago, but i haven't found my music mojo again. i'm in this weird analytical space regarding luck, in relation to sequencing.. because even though i have some chops, i have to say that most of my tiny musical brilliances were mostly luck. and that made me get really interested in the principles of what we call "luck"!

final word: even though i fucking sucked in 2004, i was so good at sequencing stuff that excited me, because i felt it simply hadn't really been done exactly like that!

much harder today innit?

On 3/15/2024 at 12:00 PM, Nase said:

in principle. they're not the very best tunes. but i managed to prove to myself that i can still make music while hearing voices. cause that shit started around that time, 2017-18.

these days, i can cancel out the voices a bit better and am accustomed to it, but i definitely lost my muse on the way. 2019-21 was fucking terrible for me. 

it's fucking weird...i am sorta deconstructing the principle of "happy accidents", or i guess musical luck, whenever i try to sequence. but i don't reach that point often anymore where it just takes me over and i gotta do that tune, you know?

i am much more alive than 3 years ago, but i haven't found my music mojo again. i'm in this weird analytical space regarding luck, in relation to sequencing.. because even though i have some chops, i have to say that most of my tiny musical brilliances were mostly luck. and that made me get really interested in the principles of what we call "luck"!

final word: even though i fucking sucked in 2004, i was so good at sequencing stuff that excited me, because i felt it simply hadn't really been done exactly like that!

much harder today innit?

Interesting story.  To me is sounds like your issue is less about luck and more about being in an overly-analytical mindset.  There may always be some degree of luck when it comes to creativity, but I believe an important part of it is creating the headspace for it, and getting yourself into a relaxed and open-minded state.  A state where vibes and ideas become present without much friction.  I feel like meditation can help that kind of process a lot.  Also I think cbd oil (probably without thc given your disposition -- that's the kind I get either way) may be helpful as it can increase neurogenesis and also calm the mind.  Listening to inspirational music and doing things that kind of ground you can also help. Just some ideas though.  I have a relatively creative background, though I mostly did traditional art and martial art. I've had so many musical ideas throughout the years and I've recorded many and played around with making music a bit, but I have never really gotten the chance to immerse myself in it enough.

But yeah, definitely hope some of that might help you find the music within

Edited by Atomicfog

i can kinda see that cbd assertion, as i was at my most creative when i was a pothead in my late teens, and it was a time when access was limited to low quality stuff that was mostly comprised of cannabinoids other than thc and full of stems and seeds

the few times i've had the opportunity to try the high octane stuff that is legal in most states, i kinda lose any ambition and just go with the flow of whatever is happening around me

definitely. over-analytical and just plain traumatized by all the crap that happened in those years.

i have tried some pure cbd early on in 2019, when the voices situation was still pretty new. it's not really for me.

i tried some weed a few weeks ago, and it was good for letting the fingers, like, just fall on the keyboard and see what they do. but it's a thing i better only do once a month or so. my history with cannabis is iffy.

anything meditative is the way to go. biggest change for me has been doing regular cold showers. whenever i feel like not quite myself, cold water shock is good for gaining some presence. big fan of wim hof, and what he's saying about the vagus nerve and stuff. if i'm not wrong, that nerve can be connected to hearing voices, and becoming acquainted with the sensation of the cold can help you gain back some control.

On 3/20/2024 at 5:38 AM, Red Shadow said:

Hey btw a scant 8 of the tracks on your soundcloud account aren't available for download. any interest in rectifying that so I can blast them in my car to the chagrin of any pedestrian?

ha, that's cool redshadow. i haven't been using soundcloud for a while. i'll get back to you when i have anything new and noteworthy, because i love the idea of my music being blasted to some random ppl in the states.

but it's gotta be something new. my music from 2018ish was really just about coping with the strange new reality. i can do much better...but it's gotta happen!!

i gotta get out of this strange anti-creative loop. for reals.

if it'll help i'm down to be a sounding board, just engage in a conversation and let you bounce ideas around

shoot me a private message and whenever the hell i remember to check back again i'll happily share contact info if it interests ya!

On 3/27/2024 at 3:58 AM, Red Shadow said:

if it'll help i'm down to be a sounding board, just engage in a conversation and let you bounce ideas around

shoot me a private message and whenever the hell i remember to check back again i'll happily share contact info if it interests ya!

you already helped a bit i think...i started something a few days ago after writing&reading on here.

it's not super duper but was enough to make me quite happy. was so starved for getting a groove going before!!