Ken Kutarugi's been "retired" at PlayStation

SilverStar

Yeah, as you might notice, he still has quite a bit of power within the corporation. Even if he were totally retired from the division, Sony's a deeply Japanese company, and thus we can expect a great deal of power behind the throne, similar to Yamauchi's crazy ass and Nintendo. Still, a step in the right direction.

Pretty much, he's the Gunpei Yokoi of Sony. Now let's hope he doesn't die in a car accident 1 year or so from now.

But Gunpei was a great man. Ken is a smart man but he's an asshole. Obsessed with power, kinda like Yamauchi. And his smile gives me the creeps. O_o

But Gunpei was a great man. Ken is a smart man but he's an asshole. Obsessed with power, kinda like Yamauchi. And his smile gives me the creeps. O_o

Well, I meant in comparison as in Gunpei came out with the Gameboy, did wonderful, and then he came out with the Virtual Boy which failed miserably. I'm not saying the PS3 is a failure, but I'm sure it's not heading in the direction Sony wants it to be heading.

Well, I meant in comparison as in Gunpei came out with the Gameboy, did wonderful, and then he came out with the Virtual Boy which failed miserably. I'm not saying the PS3 is a failure, but I'm sure it's not heading in the direction Sony wants it to be heading.

Well if you think about it, PSP is heading down that road at a decent rate. Not as quickly as the Virtual Boy, but you get the idea.

About damn time this moron was out of the company. This is the same guy, who at the launch of the PSP, said blatantly he wouldn't change the position of the buttons even though they were known to stick because of their proximity to the screen. And basically said, "if they don't like it, they don't have to buy it."

Oh, I'm so sorry Mr. Kutarugi, I did not mean to offend you with my oh-so-whiney stint about my uncomfortable finger position on a portable YOU DEVELOPED.

Well, anyway, about time.

Well if you think about it, PSP is heading down that road at a decent rate. Not as quickly as the Virtual Boy, but you get the idea.

I don't think there's any way you can compare the PSP to the Virtual Boy. The Virtual Boy was a complete and utter failure. The PSP might not be doing as well as the wildly successful DS, but it's not doing badly at all and has a huge library of great games (at least in Japan).

About damn time this moron was out of the company. This is the same guy, who at the launch of the PSP, said blatantly he wouldn't change the position of the buttons even though they were known to stick because of their proximity to the screen. And basically said, "if they don't like it, they don't have to buy it."

Oh, I'm so sorry Mr. Kutarugi, I did not mean to offend you with my oh-so-whiney stint about my uncomfortable finger position on a portable YOU DEVELOPED.

Well, anyway, about time.

You do realize that that sticky button thing affected maybe 2% of all PSP units sold, right?

You do realize that that sticky button thing affected maybe 2% of all PSP units sold, right?

Yeah, but the point was that he was being a dick about it. So the real question then becomes, if he's going to be anal about a button, what's stopping him from any other kinds of problems that potentially lead to legal problems?

Some people want their hardware to live up to people's expectations. Mr. Kutaragi wanted us all to live up to his hardware.

I think the hardware wasn't that bad. Except they tried too much and it ended up driving the price. I mean, 3DO had a revolutionary development fee for developers, but $700 was like a wall.

I think the hardware wasn't that bad. Except they tried too much and it ended up driving the price. I mean, 3DO had a revolutionary development fee for developers, but $700 was like a wall.

Oh yeah. I am totally impressed by the PS3's hardware and will be doing some research at my university next semester using our Playstation 3 cluster. It's just his attitude about wanting people to work harder to be able to afford PS3's and telling people to fuck off in regards to button placement that makes me angry. Technically, he's up to spec. But he's still an asshole.

Oh yeah. I am totally impressed by the PS3's hardware and will be doing some research at my university next semester using our Playstation 3 cluster. It's just his attitude about wanting people to work harder to be able to afford PS3's and telling people to fuck off in regards to button placement that makes me angry. Technically, he's up to spec. But he's still an asshole.

One thing that's been rather well proven at this point, is that PS3 is excessively well designed for cluster computing and folding operations. But, when you consider that it's like having 7 processors run at once, that 250k systems running the folding for the past month, to complete over a year's worth of work normally, is like having close to 2 million new high spec systems plugged into the network.

I suppose, even if the system doesn't wind up selling too well, Sony could just retool them to go into overdrive as folding units and sell them for a heavy tax cut for science research. Especially if they get their GPU into the mix, to do its own folding on top of the Cell folding processes. If nothing else, Sony is now poised to be able to be the driving force behind doing everything from protein folding research, to SETI@HOME, to nuclear simulation research. Hell, even distributed AI could be nicely developed for it, I'm sure(SKYNET, anyone?).

If Sony didn't start off by saying their consumers were too stupid to know what a rootkit is and too simple to give a damn, and didn't actively try to prove their consumers are nothing but mindless consumer whores with the PS3, it would be a decent system and would have been doing a lot better. It -is- a good system, it's just backed by a company I rather dislike.. though, I will grant.. their movies are pretty good.

Yeah, but the point was that he was being a dick about it. So the real question then becomes, if he's going to be anal about a button, what's stopping him from any other kinds of problems that potentially lead to legal problems?

He was being nonchalant about an issue that affected minimal amounts of systems that didn't even prevent them from working. There's usually more pressing issues Sony has to face than sticky buttons in 1 of every 100 units sold. Besides, didn't they fix it anyway?

I'm gonna miss that man's crazy analogies.