OCR00757 - Phantasy Star III "Nial and Nowhere"

orkybash

Phantasy Star III 'Nial and Nowhere'

Well, I can't compare it to the original, but this is overall a very strong effort. It's short, but there's one fine arrangement packed into the two minutes this song runs. However, two things really ruined it for me. The first was the way the song faded - I've never liked fades, and this was implemented especially poorly (next time, give the user some clue that the songs about to end). Also, the engineering is way off. This needs some major EQ work to put some highs in, since it sounds really muted right now. But if you can get past the flaws, this really is a worthwhile download.

I think I must of heard some WIP version that was floating around out there, because when I first saw this posted up on the homepage, I couldn't believe it had made it.

I re-downloaded it and was surprised to hear it sound so much better... but still needing more work.

Fault one: The length. It's way to short. Especially since the end of the song really starts to build. You get into it right as it finishes.

Fault two: The fade out. TERRIBLE. It gives it a feel that the ReMixer didn't know where he was going with this... or didn't know where he wanted to go with it, so he just didn't go anywhere with it. The fade is the biggest 'What the-?' I've heard in a while.

Fault three: Taking the first two faults in mind, I feel this mix could have had more. The ReMixer is certainly talented enough. I truly feel he could have taken more liberties with the song. Make us go somewhere. While I can tell the differences, there's not enough to them. Of course, I won't say what that 'more' could be, that up to the ReMixer, but it definately left me wanting 'more'.

I love this mix. Its is a truely beautiful piece, and it really captures the music's original feel. The things Quinn Fox added to the piece as far as instrumentation and effects are compatible with the song's original mood and really enhance it. This is really important because I think a lot of remixers are good technically, but in the end they are simply taking melodies and dropping them on top of their own beats, which can have good results, but often ignores the song's true feel that lies beneath the notes. I think to truly remix is to capture what the original composer was trying to express, or at least to understand it. And I think he's achieved this! PSIII music definitely had a unique feel to it, very dreamy in parts, which lent to the fantasy-aspect of the game. Really some of the best game music ever. Overall, this is one of my favorite remixes ever. Great work!!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I like what was done with this tune. But I'm going to have to agree with the others here and say it's definitely too short. Just as the song gets going, and builds to what could be a new area not found in the original or perhaps some variation on the originals theme, it fades out. It left me feeling like it wasn't done... like it was ended prematurely.

I think this is a cool sounding remix that was brought to a finish before it was ready to be done.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Sounded very dreamish, I guess the harps and strings helped with that. It's like your being in a perfect little town where kids play in the streets and there's flower shops and cafés in every corner.

I love how it then goes over into something that sounds like a music box. Like if someone is reliving his or hers childhood. When i read the other comments about this one, I prepared my mind for what supposed to be a horrible fade-out. I can agree that it doesn't fade very quickly, but it ain't bad if you would say.

Peaceful regards to Quinn, nicw work.:nicework

• 1 year later...

Fantastic mood, but that ending just makes me sad. :(

I pretty much agree with all of the other reviews; It has a wonderful nostalgic feeling, and a very serene atmosphere, but it is dragged off to fadeout land just as things are getting good. It seems like Quinn just ran out of an idea, and I think that he should have just shelved the mix for a few months and come back to it rather than do the fadeout.

A half baked classic, if that's even possible.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
Fault one: The length. It's way to short. Especially since the end of the song really starts to build. You get into it right as it finishes.

Fault two: The fade out. TERRIBLE. It gives it a feel that the ReMixer didn't know where he was going with this... or didn't know where he wanted to go with it, so he just didn't go anywhere with it. The fade is the biggest 'What the-?' I've heard in a while.

Fault three: Taking the first two faults in mind, I feel this mix could have had more. The ReMixer is certainly talented enough. I truly feel he could have taken more liberties with the song. Make us go somewhere. While I can tell the differences, there's not enough to them. Of course, I won't say what that 'more' could be, that up to the ReMixer, but it definately left me wanting 'more'.

I can see what was meant about wanting the length to be extended, but that was never a big deal. It got in, it got out; win.

Also, harping on fadeouts regardless of context is one of the dumbest criticisms ever in the community. It was always dumb when Prot did it, and it's dumb now. :lol:

• 3 months later...

Another piece that gets right to the point without any delay! Some people may not like these brief pieces, but I actually enjoy them. Almost like an interlude. The fade in is quite nice and the bells sound, as all your mixes thus far seem to, chilled and mellow. The hammer dulcimer is a little jarring for me, but it's not a huge factor since it only debuts for a short time. The fake choir sounds nice even though it's clearly synthetic; it adds a nice texture to the piece. The track is all about the different colors and elements with nothing being too prevalent, and I approve.

• 2 months later...

The lack of low end seems to be throwing me off on this one. Because it's missing a strong base (the bass is the base, haha) the mix feels almost uncomfortable where it is. I think having the lower end would have really helped things out here.

I also have to agree with everyone that as soon as the mix seems to settle in it cuts into the fade out. Having a fade isn't the worst thing ever, but this one feels like it's thrown in at an inopportune time.

The mix just isn't working for me.

• 3 months later...

After years of never explaining...

The fadeout was indeed rushed, but not quite because I didn't know what else to do with it. I was essentially beyond excited to have people hear it; I posted it to VGM within minutes of applying the fadeout. "Listen, listen, listen!!"

I'm not a hater of fades.... many of my favorite recording artists and bands have done them for ages, but in this track, I certainly wish I had decided to spend another day or two with it; try to add more of my original nonsesne, etc., and give it proper ending. Still proud of it, though.

Thanks to all who have listened and commented.

~Quinn

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00757 - Phantasy Star III "Nial and Nowhere"