The Newbie Introduction Thread: Come on in and say hello!

Mahaboo

Name: Simon Shirley

Gender: Male (although my full name would suggest half-male!)

Normally online as: foreversonic

Hi and welcome. Surely no-one would make fun of your name. :D

If you want feedback on your works, drop by the remix board. Good luck with your mixes on the panel.

Welcome everyone else, too.

Well I've finally come around to becoming a member of the site after listening/downloading/enjoying the mixes here for about a year.

I'm Patrick, a.k.a. The_Kruzdawg, and it'll be nice to (eventually) meet you.

Not sure what else to say; I'm here because I love video games and music. In fact, I'm an aspiring music teacher (as yet no permanent position) and play percussion as my primary instrument. I've also been known to sing (quality varies) from time to time.

Anyway, Hi!

Edited by The_Kruzdawg

Well I've finally come around to becoming a member of the site after listening/downloading/enjoying the mixes here for about a year.

I'm Patrick, a.k.a. The_Kruzdawg, and it'll be nice to (eventually) meet you.

Not sure what else to say; I'm here because I love video games and music. In fact, I'm an aspiring music teacher (as yet no permanent position) and play percussion as my primary instrument. I've also been known to sing (quality varies) from time to time.

Anyway, Hi!

Hope you are an avid gamer ;)

WELCOME to the community !

Hello!

My name is Ben, but nobody is going to call me that =P

I've been a fan of OCRemix since way back in 2006? 2007? I can't really remember. I was a member of VGMusic.com forums and as I recall this was the site everyone there idolized. When I was young and naive, I even submitted a few ReMixes of my own to the site, only to be told they weren't quite up to snuff.

Judges? You are too kind. They were terrible.

This year I'm 22, and I've been training in classical studies for the past four years. I fancy myself an above-average composer, and I'd love to make a living off of it (slim though the chances may be). I'm hoping to use independent game development as a platform to showcase my musical skills (and showcase it must, because I'm a terrible artist).

My favorite composers are John Powell, James Newton Howard, Joe Hisaishi, Koji Kondo and Nobuo Uematsu.

My favorite albums are How To Train Your Dragon, Distant Worlds ~ Music from Final Fantasy, and the soundtrack to the SeaWorld show "Believe."

I play piano, violin, clarinet, guitar, ocarina and irish whistle/flutes. The majority of my composing experience has been with pen and paper, or at least in notation software, so I expect moving to samples and sequencers will be a bit of a chore.

I'm hoping to find friends here, and to get some good feedback on my arrangements and compositions! I will be composing in a strictly orchestra-oriented style with some occasional infusions of electronica!

I really do love video games and their music, and I'm excited to see what I can make of it!

~SkyberrySkwerl

I'm not new, but I've been away from ocremix for quite a while. To update anyone who cares, since my last appearance here on the forums... I am now 19, a US Soldier, and married. I enjoy techno, trance, electro and dubstep musics, as well as heavy rock/metal and almost every genre under the sun.

I would also like to welcome all the newcomers. If you aren't already aware, the community here is great. Good support, good people, good acquaintances to be made, great musics to be heard, mixposts and self-releases alike. Enjoy!

Why hello everyone here!

I'm Leonardo Millan aka LegacyCrono, 21. I work as a game developer, making whatever creative shit comes to my mind in the meantime which may or may not include music, and I'm a long time listener of the OCRemix library.

So, I've been trying to focus on learning more about making music recently, thus here I am. I've composed a piece or two for my own games in the past, you can check them out at https://soundcloud.com/legacycrono (also, check the games at my website, they're pretty alright as well). Also leave comments there if you hated or loved 'em, because that totally rocks and I'll give you a hug if I ever meet you.

My skills includes bashing my M-Audio Oxygen 61 hooked up to FL Studio until it starts to sound like something I'd hear on the radio, then tweaking it until I can actually feel confident on using it for something other than making my neighbors angry. Well, most often I'll just sequence by mouse because dude, what do I know I'm a game programmer, not a pianist. I have no formal education on playing any instrument or music theory whatsoever, all I've learned was by self-study.

So yeah, I hope I can learn a bit so I can improve my soundtracks, get a grasp of sound design, find new contacts and people to work with, et cetera.

Aaand I guess that's that. Hey there everyone! :D

Edited by LegacyCrono

Hello everybody, thank you everyone for letting me join OC remix. I can't remember how long i've been a lurker here TEE HEE HEE HEE well not on the forums that will be just perverted but i mean on the actual OC remix site itself to listen to music and stuff.

Now that i've been making my own music for a while I recently started to make Video Game Arrangements and Remixes, etc, some of them i'd love to share with everyone and hopefully one day will be as good to host on the OC Remix website, which, if that ever happens I would be quite honoured.

As my name implies, i'm not really a "remixer" but I love to remix tracks....I don't know how that makes any sense.....I don't use any real turntables or anything. However I do use real instruments my recordings (SOMETIMES) sometimes I do not. So I guess my username means "I'm not experienced, but I love to play."

Please don't get worried about that statement.

I am encouraging critiques on my upcoming remixes being posted and I know some of them may need work so I hope you guys can help me out here.

Thank you very much and have a great day!

ps I did not come here to advertise, I came here to enjoy making remixes of my favorite video games. I consider the dreamcast to be the god console and Sonic the Hedgehog is the best so is Mario and I like a lot of old games.

WTF? How did this appear above everyone elses' messages? .......LOL......

Edited by I'm No DJ

• 2 weeks later...

So! I just recently joined this forum for a plethora of reasons, but at the moment I'm still "testing the waters" a bit. I've been making music for a good long while now, so I actually have a good bit of experience already. I've known about this site for a very long time actually, but I felt too intimidated by it for me to actually join. Thing is, I want to make a career out of my music. Specifically, the music for games. Where I live, there is literally no connections or ways to get started in the business, so I'm basically limited to the internet.

A few days ago I emailed Grant Kirkhope for some sage advice on getting started. He said that he got in by luck, but that going here would definitely be a big help. (He also was very impressed with my music so that kinda made my day!) SO, I broke down and here I am. I'm hoping to try to get involved with some indy game devs in the near future, given that this works out. In any case, I know this site will be beneficial to me :)

Now, I play a lot of games. I mean, a LOT of games. I don't really do the "remix" thing though, as I make more purely original stuff. I also write stuff in the musical style of game's soundtracks, but again, not really a remix is it... AH WELL! Maybe I'll start and see how critical these judges are.

In any case, i'm glad to be a part of this community now, and I can't wait to meet all of you!

Hello everybody' date=' thank you everyone for letting me join OC remix. I can't remember how long i've been a lurker here TEE HEE HEE HEE well not on the forums that will be just perverted but i mean on the actual OC remix site itself to listen to music and stuff.

Now that i've been making my own music for a while I recently started to make Video Game Arrangements and Remixes, etc, some of them i'd love to share with everyone and hopefully one day will be as good to host on the OC Remix website, which, if that ever happens I would be quite honoured.

As my name implies, i'm not really a "remixer" but I love to remix tracks....I don't know how that makes any sense.....I don't use any real turntables or anything. However I do use real instruments my recordings (SOMETIMES) sometimes I do not. So I guess my username means "I'm not experienced, but I love to play."

Please don't get worried about that statement.

I am encouraging critiques on my upcoming remixes being posted and I know some of them may need work so I hope you guys can help me out here.

Thank you very much and have a great day!

ps I did not come here to advertise, I came here to enjoy making remixes of my favorite video games. I consider the dreamcast to be the god console and Sonic the Hedgehog is the best so is Mario and I like a lot of old games.

EDIT: WTF? How did this appear above everyone elses' messages? .......LOL......[/quote']

reverse-order messaging. You can change this in your forums settings somewhere...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I'm a bit of a newbie that's been making music on and off throughout the years. I've been listening to OCRemix for years now and someone of you guys, heck alot of you, are what inspired me into getting into serious music making. I've kept a good eye on the competition things and I've been impressed by everyone. I hope I'll be good enough to compete sometime. :smile:

Hey you all! I'm Andy! I've followed this site for quite some time, and I've dabbled in producing music since I was about 13 or 14 years old. I've never really thought about making remixes to post on here until now, so I FINALLY made an account! I look forward to learning more about the programs I use (FLStudio, Reason, and ReCycle) and refining my music skills with you all!

Hey you all! I'm Andy! I've followed this site for quite some time, and I've dabbled in producing music since I was about 13 or 14 years old. I've never really thought about making remixes to post on here until now, so I FINALLY made an account! I look forward to learning more about the programs I use (FLStudio, Reason, and ReCycle) and refining my music skills with you all!

Be sure to visit Workshop and especially Music Composition & Production! :) That's the place where I've collected a ton of ideas&information. When you're feeling up to it, post a remix work-in-progress of yours to "Post Your Game ReMixes!", and you'll most likely get some helpful feedback on how to hone your touch and skills.

Hey everybody.

My name is Josef Falkensköld, I'm 30 and I've listened to a few of your remix albums and as a retro game nerd I absolutely love it. I've been making music for a few years now and I'm very impressed by the whole chiptune/retro sound cus I'm not very good at it :P Never the less, it would be a lot of fun to participate in one way or another.

I'm writing game music myself and music about games. I guess most of my recent stuff can be heard from my youtube-page: http://www.youtube.com/user/tankith

Also, how do you work out who gets to be featured on the albums? I'd love to give it a shot at some point even though I'm not good at the retro sound.

Heeeeeey everyone. I'm Erik, also known online as Jit, 22 years old and close to finishing college. I used to check on the site while in high school (like '05-'06, around there?) cause it was amazing to find this whole area of the internet where people took video game tunes and did cool stuff with them. I downloaded a bunch, and made an mp3 CD because I didn't know how burning CDs worked. Then sometime around the end of high school, I stopped coming around, I think it was because I didn't have speakers anymore, so trying to collect music was sort of a waste of time? Something like that. Anyway yeah, OCR has always sort of been this bastion of video games and music so now I'm trying to make myself unlurk and hang out and stuff.

As it is, I've been a pianist for like 13-14 years, decent at sightreading and picking stuff up, experience as an accompanist, awful at steadily practicing and working at sections over just running through a piece. And fingerings. Chops aren't horribly great either. Besides that, I've been making music on the computer for a few years (like, three); Homestuck is both what started me on that sort of thing and also got me a good amount of experience actually making things and releasing them and stuff. I think my production and composition are both sort of lacking, as far as that goes. Never tried remixing anything before, probably won't for a while either, cause hahahaha yeah no not up to that yet I don't think.

I guess as far as video games go, I was a playstation kid for ages, never got to play any of the n64 games, and then when I went off to college I couldn't bring games with me so I've been mostly just playing stuff on my computer for a while. All the next-gen stuff and the more current developments, I really haven't kept up with.

Anyway so yeah I guess that's me in a few rambling paragraphs. I've already been hanging out on the IRC for a few days, and just by what I've seen in there, this is a really vibrant place with tons of music-making and game-enjoying and it's insanely cool to hang around. Like, even besides me thinking it'd be good to hang around here for experience's sake, all the backlogs of music that have suddenly been shown to me, is gonna be like woooooah gotta take tons of time just to get through that all and there's a lot of crazy-cool stuff. Like SHEESH.

Alright I'm just gonna hit submit reply now and stop talking okay yes

Also, how do you work out who gets to be featured on the albums? I'd love to give it a shot at some point even though I'm not good at the retro sound.

Album project directors have the final say on the matter. They usually personally invite some artists they want to have on the project. Then, most projects are opened to the public, and posted mixers are allowed to claim away songs without complications, and unposted artists such as you and myself have to audition to the directors and showcase their previous work, after which it will be determined whether or not they get to be a part of the album. That's the case for most projects, at least. Some are never opened to public.

Hope that clarified things; feel free to ask if something was left in the dark.

Hey everybody.

My name is Josef Falkensköld, I'm 30 and I've listened to a few of your remix albums and as a retro game nerd I absolutely love it. I've been making music for a few years now and I'm very impressed by the whole chiptune/retro sound cus I'm not very good at it :P Never the less, it would be a lot of fun to participate in one way or another.

I'm writing game music myself and music about games. I guess most of my recent stuff can be heard from my youtube-page: http://www.youtube.com/user/tankith

Really, it's what Riversound said. Some albums are open to the public, some aren't. Probably the best thing you can do is go to the Recruit/Collab forum, and the Project forum, and look for albums that interest you that have openings, then whip up a WIP of some kind and show it to the director of that album. And of course, refine your craft in the WIP forums. :-) I look forward to seeing you on an OCR album someday!

Heeeeeey everyone. I'm Erik, also known online as Jit, 22 years old and close to finishing college. I used to check on the site while in high school (like '05-'06, around there?) cause it was amazing to find this whole area of the internet where people took video game tunes and did cool stuff with them. I downloaded a bunch, and made an mp3 CD because I didn't know how burning CDs worked. Then sometime around the end of high school, I stopped coming around, I think it was because I didn't have speakers anymore, so trying to collect music was sort of a waste of time? Something like that. Anyway yeah, OCR has always sort of been this bastion of video games and music so now I'm trying to make myself unlurk and hang out and stuff.

As it is, I've been a pianist for like 13-14 years, decent at sightreading and picking stuff up, experience as an accompanist, awful at steadily practicing and working at sections over just running through a piece. And fingerings. Chops aren't horribly great either. Besides that, I've been making music on the computer for a few years (like, three); Homestuck is both what started me on that sort of thing and also got me a good amount of experience actually making things and releasing them and stuff. I think my production and composition are both sort of lacking, as far as that goes. Never tried remixing anything before, probably won't for a while either, cause hahahaha yeah no not up to that yet I don't think.

I guess as far as video games go, I was a playstation kid for ages, never got to play any of the n64 games, and then when I went off to college I couldn't bring games with me so I've been mostly just playing stuff on my computer for a while. All the next-gen stuff and the more current developments, I really haven't kept up with.

Anyway so yeah I guess that's me in a few rambling paragraphs. I've already been hanging out on the IRC for a few days, and just by what I've seen in there, this is a really vibrant place with tons of music-making and game-enjoying and it's insanely cool to hang around. Like, even besides me thinking it'd be good to hang around here for experience's sake, all the backlogs of music that have suddenly been shown to me, is gonna be like woooooah gotta take tons of time just to get through that all and there's a lot of crazy-cool stuff. Like SHEESH.

Alright I'm just gonna hit submit reply now and stop talking okay yes

A fellow Playstation kid! Aside from the gameboy and whatever I could get to work in Dos and Win 95, that was all I had growing up, too. Don't worry about unlurking all at once, either; ease your way in, if you want. Welcome back to the site!

I dropped into this thread to say Hello :smile:. I've been going to this site for 3 years now (beginning in 2010), and have gone through every album and have checked out pretty much every song. This site has helped me so much with its music as I went through High School (graduated 2012), and still does today. I love video games and music, and am looking forward to contributing to this site.

I plan on remixing these games one day; Blinx: The Time Sweeper, Froggers Journey: The Forgotten Relic, Banjo Kazooie, Cocoto Fishing Master, and several others.....when I get an idea for them.

Looking forward to advancing my compositional ability through this site as well. I use Reaper, but only have the trial version. I am especially up for collaborating with someone so that I can get better at making music.

Hey guys names Gabriel Hinton. I jumped into making my own tunes for games and remixes around 2005 sometime and I'm still making my way up. Though I've come a ways. I've visited this site off and on and loving the mixes and music people make around here I thought why not just fall in,share and give my two cents here and there. Heck even pick up some tips and other things while around.

Anyways great being here and can't wait to search around for some nice ear candy.:smile:

Hi !

So... hum... yeah. Hello everybody, I'm Quart de Carton. I'm 21, and I'm French, so I may or may not do a few mistakes here and there. However, if this happens, please, do point it out : I am currently studying in a university in order to obtain an English Language, Litterature and Civilisation degree. And I'm on my third and final year, so making a dumb mistake can be a problem, even if it's a common one.

Now that that's said, I've been quite the frequent visitor of this website for several years (actually since I discovered this website back when I was about 12 or something). And, well, I'm a fan. I'm definitively a fan. Not of everything, of course, but both the concept and the overall level of quality of the remixes one can find on this website are admirable. So yeah, there is that.

The thing is, I've been doodle-deedling around with the whole "making music and remixes with your computer" for quite a while now. I started out with Melody Assistant. A nice software but... quite limited. It was fun, and I learned a thing or two, but it was mostly just me experimenting with basic composition stuff. Quite recently, since last year in fact, I started using FL Studio. And it's a LOT better. Yeah.

Still though, I'm quite the beginner. And I make a lot of mistakes. I only know the basics of solfège, and I don't play any live instrument. I've always wanted to learn to play the piano, but piano lessons tend to be very expensive. Same thing with renting a piano. And my family never was really wealthy nor interested enough to allow me to do so. I had the occasion to take guitar lessons, but as much as I love the sound of the instrument, it really just wasn't my thing. I still plan to learn the piano though, one day, when I'll be in a situation more suitable to do so. Therefore... yeah, right now I'm kinda stuck with note-to-note, by ear composition. But hey, that's cool enough.

As I said though, I'm just starting out. I've only been "serious" about trying to make music decent enough to be listened to for less than a year now. I do need constructive feedback if I want to get better, and it's hard to find any around me.

So... here I am !

I'll soon post my currently only remix work worthy of anyone's time (at least I hope so) as a WIP project, so if you have some time to kill, go check it out ! It would make me all kinds of happy.

Well not all kinds but...

Yeah.

Edited by Quart de Carton

My name is Kevin Villecco and I've been producing electronic music since 2003. I was always into video game remixes and used to produce a bunch but I'm getting back into them now and having it be a main focus as an artist. I'm sure I met a lot of you this year at MAGFest 2013 and let me know if you saw me or met me! Hoping 2013 will be a great year for me to start out in OCR and be sure to stay tuned later this year for an album I have coming out!

I also would like to mention I do FREE media work and artist branding under my company Villecco Media. If you need logo work, album artwork, or promotional images, please feel free to send me a message or contact me at: kevin@villeccomedia.com

Currently I do media work for Benjamin Briggs, Phonetic Hero, Dj CUTMAN, kubbi and more.

Lastly, feel free to check out my latest EP on halc's label 9-bit Records

http://9bitrecords.bandcamp.com/album/m-a60-ep

Hey OC Remix

Obviously, I'm new here and I've only just discovered this site thanks to a bunch of cool and insightful videos (MAGFest 9) about Freelance Game Music Composers found on Youtube (so I guess I owe a big thank you to Josh Whelchel and all the cool people present at these panels).

Late to the party, yeah, I know.

Was thrilled to see this community exists because making music for videogames is definitely what I aim to do. So I can't thank enough the uploaders for showing me the way to here.

I'm Dom, from Montreal, Quebec, I have an extensive recording sheet yet nothing has (yet) to do with videogames, unfortunately.

I've also had a couple of music deals, publishing contracts and the likes, so I consider myself very serious about this. Music is what I want to do, no matter what or how.

You guys will have to forgive me, I've never done any remixes (I recorded hundreds of songs, but I tend to be more an organic composer than anything else).

Since the aforementioned videos explained that this community is much more than remixes, I thought I'd come here anyway and introduce me and my work.

I consider myself a story-oriented gamer now, and I believe my music is like the games I enjoy playing nowadays... cinematic, emotional, very diversified.

And quite often, dark.

Right now I'm mostly doing music for movies and short flicks (as well as writing for various international artists), but what drives me is gaming, because I tend to have a pretty big musical vision, and I like to do things a little bit out of the box, and I believe it's easier to achieve these things in gaming vs. cinema if you ask me.

Influences :

Nobuo Uematsu, Akira Yamaoka, Michiru Yamane, Kondo, etc, etc.

Games :

Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Old(er) Resident Evil, Old(er) Silent Hill, Castlevania, Medievil 1, Fatal Frame, Zelda, the list goes on and on...

As well as making instrumental music, I like to make pretty cool videos of those said songs.

It's on my Youtube, but more of that later!

:)

Also, my favorite color is... red.

Nice to meet you all

hi i am sara choiseux (sera because of final fantasy xiii an amazing game) i have been following overclocked remix for a long time, submitted a song it was not judged, just rejected. i love halc, benjamin briggs, bLiNd zircon big giant circles and others

please add me on facebook overclocked remix http://www.facebook.com/sera.choiseux i dont think i will try to submit again just be a fan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm Jon the EuroNerd and am new here. In case you are wondering how I got the name EuroNerd is because I'm a huge fan of Eurobeat songs and am wanting to learn to make Eurobeat songs well with FL Studio (currently using Superwave P8 and Synth 1 for it), but other than that, just wanted to drop in and say hello to everyone here. :)