The Newbie Introduction Thread: Come on in and say hello!

Mahaboo

Hello OC pals!

My name is Alan Garcia and I am a bassist/composer currently working as a composer for "Breeze in the Clouds": a video game currently in development by SrBilyon Harris and HeadRush Games.

I have been playing electric bass for about 5 years now, but have only recently acquired the means to finally be able to compose. Composing for Breeze takes up most of my time, but I am really looking forward to doing some great arrangements for my favorite video game music.

Hope you can guys can drop by my channels to share your opinions on my original and remixed work. I'll make sure to do the same for you all as well:

YTicon.jpgSCicon.jpg

I'm pretty sure no one actually reads these so I'll keep it brief. I've been writing music for a decade or so now, and recently came back from a long hiatus. I'm frustrated that I have few people to share my music with nowadays, so I registered here for the entirely selfish reason of finding an audience that might give me some feedback.

Currently I'm in the process of designing, programming, and scoring an independent game project. It's still in its infancy, but I'm having a blast figuring out what exactly it will be, and the music plays a big role in that.

I have known of OC for some time, signed up since I'm a musician who from time to time plays around with game midi's. I don't plan on releasing any big projects as I work intuitively. Predetermined releases do not mix with this approach. Sometimes I may abandon a track for many years before returning. It all depends on what takes priority of attention. That aside, I will share the remixies that may come along

Been composing on FL studio for 10 years now, and use it in conjunction with mainly allot of Korg software and a keyboard, I like their gear! they have a global tuner so custom scales are made possible. I am mainly into eastern sounds and love writing and remixing tunes with non-contemporary scales in the genre of World Music: New Age / Orchestral Fantasy (like RPGs), Ethnic Beats, Down tempo, Chill Out...and New Wave Goa-Psychedelic Trance - Slower tempo within the cycles of natural circadian rhythms i.e. below 120bpm and not at the usual 140+ range. I fuse these various genres of interest as well

I do not use any compression or limiting filters when I master, I sometimes use EQ to create more head room I am a purist where timber dynamics are concerned.

I write music for pleasures sake and not for selling and making money tho I am open to donations... If a piece is good enough for OC I am happy have someone else do the mastering that may be desired if liked to be released and hosted here as an officially accepted remix.

being someone who experiences synaesthesia I am able to feel the inaudible tones more than most people and this is something I notice being lacking in modern music tho I didn't have frame of reference for this until I began to re-develope synaesthesia in the last 4 or 5 years (I recall it being the state of being I had as a child.)

I don't really play games any more but I still remember the musical scores from some of the early 8-32 bit generation.

If you know of any midi's which would fit into my tastes I would love to have them forwarded to me.

Some Titles which I am fond of as a reference (tho I didn't play all these games) to what I am looking for are

Alundra:

the lake shrine,

meia's dream,

Inoa Village (if some one has a midi or can transcribe it that would be ace)

Legend of Dragoon

Lunar 1 & 2.

Mystery of Mana

Some Sonic tunes still catch me today :) like lava reef, and the Chaotix tune from level one

So basically RPG tunes which Have an Erie mystic or fantastical sort of vibe like Alundra...

anything that compares with that game is great... thank you Koei Tanaka!

Peace

Edited by Lucid Eagle

Welcome everyone. :D

I'm pretty sure no one actually reads these so I'll keep it brief. I've been writing music for a decade or so now, and recently came back from a long hiatus. I'm frustrated that I have few people to share my music with nowadays, so I registered here for the entirely selfish reason of finding an audience that might give me some feedback.

False indeed. I read them all the time, and other regulars do pop in from time to time to greet ppl, at least if they have something specific to reply to. In this case correcting you and inviting you to the remix board. (for originals/non-vgm-remixes, there's a second board, tho)

Invitation is open to everyone, so if you make music, let's hear it. :D

Welcome everyone. :D

False indeed. I read them all the time, and other regulars do pop in from time to time to greet ppl, at least if they have something specific to reply to. In this case correcting you and inviting you to the remix board. (for originals/non-vgm-remixes, there's a second board, tho)

Invitation is open to everyone, so if you make music, let's hear it. :D

I've actually only finished one remix ever, maybe I'll post that there. It's kind of old. Mostly I've been working on original music intended for use in games :)

Heya. :)

I've been a fan of OCRemix for some time, and I think I actually joined the forum a long time ago - like, years ago - but I've long since forgot about it, otherwise I'd log back in. xD

Well, my name is Aaron, and while I'm not a musician by hobby or trade - I really like the fact OCRemix exists to appreciate the musical art form; not so much the game music, although that is certainly apart of it, but music as a whole from a lot of great artists here.

I do appreciate a lot of musical styles, some of my notable favorites being swing, jazz, mostly classical, and some ambience/techno/trance. I dunno if Broadway counts any, lol. xD

But that said, music plays a role in my life whenever I'm doing my webcomic that's been around for a year. Music definitely helps keep the ideas flowing and the motivation on hope to imagine scenes for the series and stuff like that; it's quite amazing what it can do.

At any rate, a pleasure to meet y'all! :D

Hi guys,

My name is Lachlan B, I play in a progressive rock band named Toehider. I've done a bit of music for the Angry Video Game Nerd and done a few other bits and bobs :)

Pleased to meet you all, I've got a couple of songs that I'll probably post soon, be good to see if people dig my stuff!

Heya. :)

I've been a fan of OCRemix for some time, and I think I actually joined the forum a long time ago - like, years ago - but I've long since forgot about it, otherwise I'd log back in. xD

Well, my name is Aaron, and while I'm not a musician by hobby or trade - I really like the fact OCRemix exists to appreciate the musical art form; not so much the game music, although that is certainly apart of it, but music as a whole from a lot of great artists here.

I do appreciate a lot of musical styles, some of my notable favorites being swing, jazz, mostly classical, and some ambience/techno/trance. I dunno if Broadway counts any, lol. xD

But that said, music plays a role in my life whenever I'm doing my webcomic that's been around for a year. Music definitely helps keep the ideas flowing and the motivation on hope to imagine scenes for the series and stuff like that; it's quite amazing what it can do.

At any rate, a pleasure to meet y'all! :D

Hi guys,

My name is Lachlan B, I play in a progressive rock band named Toehider. I've done a bit of music for the Angry Video Game Nerd and done a few other bits and bobs :)

Pleased to meet you all, I've got a couple of songs that I'll probably post soon, be good to see if people dig my stuff!

Welcome to both of you! I hope you enjoy your stay here at OC Remix!

• 2 weeks later...

Allright, introduction thread! Although I've been aware of OCR for years and have many times visited the site and downloaded some of the album projects, I have never actually signed up for it. Now I have. So...

I've been arranging video game music (and done some original work) for many many years. At first I arranged video game music on homecomputers for more advanced soundchips (like from 3-channel square wave & noise to a 9-channel FM synthesizer chip), and as soon as I could afford a synthesizer I started doing them on those. I used to own a Roland XP50 (still have it), Kawai K1r (still have that too), and an original vintage Juno-60 (which I sold eventually). Right now all that stuff is in storage though, so I am using Virtual instruments only for the time being.

Anyway, I produced two VGM SAV albums in the 90s which was a lot of fun (although seriously lacking in production value and mixing). I also did some arrangements by request for Junkerhq.net and the Policenauts project. I have a youtube channel with some of that 90s stuff on it (www.youtube.com/mrrudix). I mainly (only?) arrange VGM from old MSX/MSX2 games since that is the music I grew up with - and it is often underrated.

I am no professional musician by any means, it is my hobby, but one I invest in a lot. I taught myself to play 2-handed piano, and recently picked up bass guitar but so far I suck at it. Reason for signing up is mainly cause I love the community, and I wouldn't mind getting feedback on recent work so I can make the next step...seeing how OCR has always had pretty high standards for submissions I don't expect to be featured any time soon, but I do expect to learn a lot and perhaps work together on some stuff.

Yeah...that's pretty much it.

Hi guys!

My name is Elder Kirby, but you can just call me Dennis.

I've been producing sub-par original work since 2008, and I've been checking OCremix every now and then for quite a while.

When, to my dismay, I searched for some of my favorite games to see if there were ReMixes of them, I saw that there were none. This motivated me to see if I could pioneer in those games by being the first to get posts for them, so here I am!

Of course, I am far from there—in fact, I am very mediocre when it comes to producing.

Nonetheless, I hope to improve my own skills through striving to make a decent ReMix.

In the meantime, I can now at least contribute to conversations and help review WIPs :smile:.

I hope to get to work on ReMixes for Tomba 2, Wario Land 3, Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland, and of course, Earthbound and Pokemon R/S/E

Edited by Elder Kirby
forgot something

Welcome both of you, Mr. Rudi and Elder Kirby! :smile: Took a listen to your channel, Rudi, you've got some rather interesting stuff there. And it's always good to see someone who wants to mix new games, Dennis, because even if my tastes generally run toward more popular composers and games, I've got a few less popular favorites of my own.

Look forward to seeing you both around more.

Hey guys I'm bizcaus and I've just started messing around with remixing and edm production a few weeks ago and heard good things about this forum. Can never have to many resources to draw from right? :lol:

Right now I'm working on messing with synths and samples to get the sound I'm looking for but I'm hoping to start arranging and remixing some songs soon.

Hey guys I'm bizcaus and I've just started messing around with remixing and edm production a few weeks ago and heard good things about this forum. Can never have to many resources to draw from right? :lol:

Right now I'm working on messing with synths and samples to get the sound I'm looking for but I'm hoping to start arranging and remixing some songs soon.

A good idea is to pit-stop to the workshop. I swear it is the best thing!

Hi folks

First I have to say: great site, great stuff, very helpful and interesting! I'm very glad I landed here :D

About me: I'm almost finished studying jazz saxophone (and finally bought a good saxophone mic, so if you ever need a saxophone sample just ask ;) )

Since I was a kid I was very fascinated with video games especially the audio part but I never found the time to dig really deep into game music production (practicing saxophone eats a damn lot of time you know…) but since last summer I spent more and more time for writing, producing, remixing etc. (I also got my first project and in two weeks I go with my jazzband into the studio to record the soundtrack for this amazing game http://www.mariov.ch/mirage/, wuhuuu! a first impression can be found here http://soundcloud.com/andibissig/die-entstehung-des-hutes)

so I've really just begun in the business but I guess there is no way back now :) so if anyone of you has a bit of spare time, I would be very grateful if you could listen to my works on http://soundcloud.com/tneko and give me some advice, tips, etc

thanks a lot and let's make the virtual world a better one with good audio!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, name is Marco and i'm from spain.

New to the site and the forums. Hope to find useful information and friendly people.

I've been always into music but just started with computer music. Mostly i use renoise and a couple of vst.

Thankyou for the site, seems to be awesome.

Edited by V0id

Hi, I'm Multimedia Mike. I know nothing about creating music (aside from programmatically synthesizing a few 8-bit NES tunes from memory on various types of PCs about 20 years ago when just starting to learn to program). But I'm a big fan of OCRemix and its music. I actually discovered the site over a decade ago and downloaded some songs, but then just sort of... forgot about it for a long time. Then I watched a web show called Extra Credits that reminded me that the site existed.

Anyway, even though I can't compose music, I like to write software that pertains to music. The reason that I finally registered for the forums is that I have been working on some music software that OCRemix people might find useful (and could even be integrated into the site someday).

Hi, I'm Multimedia Mike. I know nothing about creating music (aside from programmatically synthesizing a few 8-bit NES tunes from memory on various types of PCs about 20 years ago when just starting to learn to program). But I'm a big fan of OCRemix and its music. I actually discovered the site over a decade ago and downloaded some songs, but then just sort of... forgot about it for a long time. Then I watched a web show called Extra Credits that reminded me that the site existed.

Anyway, even though I can't compose music, I like to write software that pertains to music. The reason that I finally registered for the forums is that I have been working on some music software that OCRemix people might find useful (and could even be integrated into the site someday).

Welcome to the OC Remix forums Multimedia Mike! (can I call you Mike? :-P)

Anyway, even though I can't compose music, I like to write software that pertains to music. The reason that I finally registered for the forums is that I have been working on some music software that OCRemix people might find useful
Interesting. What kind of music software do you write (VSTs, DAWs, audio effects)?
Hi folks

First I have to say: great site, great stuff, very helpful and interesting! I'm very glad I landed here :D

About me: I'm almost finished studying jazz saxophone (and finally bought a good saxophone mic, so if you ever need a saxophone sample just ask ;) )

Since I was a kid I was very fascinated with video games especially the audio part but I never found the time to dig really deep into game music production (practicing saxophone eats a damn lot of time you know…) but since last summer I spent more and more time for writing, producing, remixing etc. (I also got my first project and in two weeks I go with my jazzband into the studio to record the soundtrack for this amazing game http://www.mariov.ch/mirage/, wuhuuu! a first impression can be found here http://soundcloud.com/andibissig/die-entstehung-des-hutes)

so I've really just begun in the business but I guess there is no way back now :) so if anyone of you has a bit of spare time, I would be very grateful if you could listen to my works on http://soundcloud.com/tneko and give me some advice, tips, etc

thanks a lot and let's make the virtual world a better one with good audio!

Hello, I'm DrevanZero, aka Poke2mon3. I am planning to enter the world of Metroid remixes, as it is by far my favorite series of all time. I am actually planning to begin work on a Mother Brain (SM) mix today.
Hi, I'm Jean945 (or just Jean). I'm a music fanatic, I play the drums and try to create some stuff on with FL Studio.

Music is in my blood so I really like to express that in any way possible. I had my first console when I was 3 (N64) and since then I'm playing video games in some kind of shape or form. I attach the emotions I felt that time with the music I heard on video games I played when I was kid, so to be able to revisit all my favorite video game music makes me very nostalgic.

I've been trying to create some stuff with programs like FL Studio and Audition for the past few years and I really like the liberty that I feel, I can do whatever the hell I want with music. I like remixing music and creating it, and now I just wanna get better and improve my skills.

Anyways, looking forward to my stay :)

Welcome, all three of you! If you're ever looking for critique with your work, don't be afraid to post in the Workshop forum. There's a subforum for both remixes that are in-progress (and finished, but looking for critiques) and for any original works. Feel free to pop in and share what you're working on.

If there's anything else you're curious about, feel free to ask around!

Edited by Anorax
Group Welcome seems to be in order

Welcome to the OC Remix forums Multimedia Mike! (can I call you Mike? :-P)

Interesting. What kind of music software do you write (VSTs, DAWs, audio effects)?

I had to look up those acronyms... virtual studio technology? Digital audio workstation? Goodness, that sounds awfully complicated. :-) No, that's a bit out of my league.

The audio software project I've been working on recently could best be described with the high concept pitch of: "Chipamp in the web browser." I hope to make chiptunes more accessible by allowing them to be played directly in a web browser.