Xenoblade Chronicles

Binarymein

So I have imported my copy of Xenoblade Chronicles from Europe and Softmodded my Wii to jump through the region-lock hoop... Now I'm stuck waiting for it to arrive. Naturally I decided to check out YouTube for some audio and man oh man I'm liking this stuff. This post is basically to encourage those who haven't to check out Xenoblade and specifically, its awesome music.

Nothing gets me hyped for a great game like a tasty soundtrack...

Here are a few to start you off:

Mechonis Field

Tragic Decision

Main Theme

Mechanical Rhythm

The Night Before The Decisive Battle

Into The World of Zanza

Environment Trailer:

Remember that old thing called the JRPG? Yeah, it's back.

Edited by Binarymein

actually it's dying more quickly than ever

Indeed, JRPGs have been in sharp decline this generation and really since FF7. That comment was more "Finally a great JRPG that is up to today's standards" less "This signals the genre's return to immense popularity and quantity".

That said, I truly hope that some of the struggling Japanese studios take critical analysis of Xenoblade as it seems to break free of lots of that "last-gen" design which greatly plagues the genre.

Yep, this praise is a tad premature, as I still haven't played it >_<

I've seriously considered doing the import / softmod thing, but I dunno if I will. NoA did say they'd keep their eye on the European sales, but I wont get my hopes up.

Of course the game does look amazing. Soundtrack is phenomenal, its been getting awesome reviews in Europe, and based on what I've read in those reviews, this game has a LOT going for it and is actually a very worthwhile RPG.

Regarding softmodding with the Homebrew Channel and BootMii...

First of all, there is always going to be the bricking risk but really the same risk applies every time you update with Nintendo firmware. As long as you read up and take your time, I think it is a very easy and rewarding process.

The current exploit for firmware 4.3 can be done from http://please.hackmii.com/ Kotaku had a quick guide for using it but I can't load their page atm... If you do find a guide make sure it's a simple one, there are quite a few that make you modify way too much. All you need is an app that launches disks from the Homebrew Channel that can force region free (Gecko OS).

Finally I recommend anyone with HBC to get the Homebrew Browser. It is a very easy app browser right on the Wii. Stuff like Shoutcast Radio Wii, Google Earth Wii, and DVD playback only sweeten the pot.

Oh but most importantly! by softmodding you are potentially opening yourself to a world of illegal pirating. I want MonolithSoft to prosper and create many games, therefore I gladly pay for their work. It's obvious that these guys truly care about this game from the music alone, we would be pissing in their face if we stole it.

I did the hackmii mode for xenoblade. it is worth it, so do it. Tho, I prefer the japanese voices to the english accent ones. The japs just sound cooler but yea def buy the import.

I couldn't agree more, subtitles are always my preference as the original recording always fits better. And just like in Anime, Japanese voices sound awesome and can smooth over occasional cheesy writing. I'm very appreciative that the original recording was kept for the PAL localization.

@Brithor: I'm glad you came across this post! The Wii has really lost it's steam and I fear Xenoblade Chronicles won't get the attention it deserves. Please recommend it to friends with the console.

My copy has still not arrived D':

@Brithor: I'm glad you came across this post! The Wii has really lost it's steam and I fear Xenoblade Chronicles won't get the attention it deserves. Please recommend it to friends with the console.

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend it, it's a great game. The thing is it's sold out nearly everywhere. I had to go to 3 stores before I found it. Most stores (even the big ones) only got 2-5 copies...

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend it, it's a great game. The thing is it's sold out nearly everywhere. I had to go to 3 stores before I found it. Most stores (even the big ones) only got 2-5 copies...

Wow really? That can only be good news for getting a North American release. Sounds like Nintendo didn't expect much from the game. I can't for the life of me, understand Nintendo's reasoning behind not bringing it over (surely one of the higher ups at least tried it?!?). Unless Xenoblade was being ported/upgraded for WiiU... it doesn't fit perfectly but I can't deny the power a 9/10 RPG would have on launch day. Maybe Nintendo knows how good it is and want to downplay it for now, lol.

Goofy speculation aside, How are people finding the battle system/difficulty level?

• 3 months later...

Great news indeed. This game deserves all the attention/praises. IMO, it's the absolute best JRPG ever made! (provided you subtract the nostalgia element attached to FFVI, VII, CHRONO etc.). The only complain I have is the battle system, just not as great as I was expecting; but very enjoyable.

From the trailer, it looks like they haven't re-recorded dialogs for American release..... then why the hell they waited for so long!!!???

Quick question: does this game have traditional controls?

I generally enjoyed Skyward Sword (not the best Zelda in my personal opinion, but a good entry in the franchise all the same), but I'm just as happy to never play a motion controlled game again if I can avoid it. I want to get Xenoblade partially because I know it to be a solid game and partially to show Nintendo that it has fans who want this type of content and will actually shell out the cash for it if they make it available without importing it. If it has traditional controls, that makes it infinitely more appealing.

Also, as an aside, I'm stoked for the RPGs next year. I'm cautiously optimistic that FFXIII-2 will be decent (I'm one of the people who enjoyed the game, despite its numerous flaws, and without wanting to debate its qualities, I really liked the battle system). I also know that Tales of Graces F is awesome as long as they don't butcher the dub, which, based on Tales of Vesperia, shouldn't be an issue. Tales of the Abyss is getting a 3DS release around that time as well, and there's some other PS3/360 western style RPG coming out in the February-March timeframe as well. Add on Ni no Kuni and the possible release of Persona 4 for PS Vita and 2012 is quickly lining up to be a kickass year for RPG fans!