View Single Post
Old 11-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Travis Petty
Raccoon Mario (+1450)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mairuzu
(I am aware of the difference between soundfonts and samples, soundfonts are just organised, like a sampled instrument preset in a sampler)

All composers tend to have their own rules.
Some may use presets on synths and freely available samples, because maybe they want to sound like everyone else, or want real instrument sounds but don't have the instruments.
Some composers may want to do their own completely original thing so have their own original soundbank.

For people involved in Music Production/Composition as a profession originality is very important as record companys tend to chose a certain producer due to his sound, created by his palette of sounds. If a lot of people in the music industry may be using Kontakt/Sampltank samples having someone which their own soundbank can be good.

But for people who use samples I think you should tweak the samples/kits, even if a tiny bit like EQ, FX, maybe some dynamic FX on individual drums/samples.
I don't understand why you think samples can't be used for originality... Zircon uses pretty much nothing but samples and he has many original songs with an original sound. Keith Crouch (producer for Boyz II Men, Chaka Khan) and Mark Isham both use the Synthogy "Ivory" Grand Pianos plug-in because of how good it sounds. Mix Engineer Kent Hitchcock from Jurassic 5 uses Reason and Bomb Factory plug-ins. Josh Wink uses the AKAI MPC that I mentioned. Need more examples?

You might as well consider every orchestral piece to be unoriginal. They all basically use the same instruments (and therefore the same sounds). It doesn't just take unique sounds to be original but a unique composition.

It's fine if you don't want use samples, just don't say it isn't "professional" or "original" to use them.

Click my sig for some free musicks =D
"If you want your dreams to come true, you mustn't oversleep."