ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

I asked this earlier but it kinda got lost in the thread...... Why didn't FFX Hurry! album qualify for official release?

It wasn't consistently high quality. Besides the 3 completed tracks subbed to OCR (yours, Shariq's, Rozo's), the other tracks generally were rough WIPs that weren't fleshed out or polished. I also recall 1 track being too liberal.

Here's one I've been wondering for quite some time. Is there any particular reason direct posts aren't listed anywhere? I'm sure you guys get lots of emails from people wondering what happened to their mix (I know I have done it myself a few times in the past). One would figure DPs would be listed in their own section in the Judging Process thread, or at least in the "to be posted" section.

Here's one I've been wondering for quite some time. Is there any particular reason direct posts aren't listed anywhere? I'm sure you guys get lots of emails from people wondering what happened to their mix (I know I have done it myself a few times in the past). One would figure DPs would be listed in their own section in the Judging Process thread, or at least in the "to be posted" section.

I've started e-mailing people when I mark their sub as a DP candidate, since like you said, we get e-mails asking what happened. (And I think the other inbox handlers have started doing that too; if not, I'll get on their cases.) It's a little harder to keep a DP list up to date with the system we have but it could be done. I personally think it's kind of cool to have some surprise in terms of what gets posted.

• 2 weeks later...
I never even submitted my DKC2 track, it just appeared on the front page. Wes must've submitted it for me. Confused the shit out of me.

I think you have to consent to the same policy with project tracks that you do with submitting remixes, so technically djp can post whatever he wants. For the initial flood, he picks a variety of tracks to showcase the album. After that, we only post tracks that people submitted that pass.

We don't look for any particular arranging technique. If you simply listen to any posted remixes from the last few years and compare them to the source, you'll hear the wide range of styles, genres and interpretations we've accepted. The key point is that we don't just want covers of the original tune. We want you to add your own touch in some way. On the other hand, the mix still needs to be predominantly based on the source material, so you can't go crazy and make a track that is 80% new stuff and 20% VGM.

I know that was a broad answer, but really, the best thing to do would be to listen to what's already posted.

how much of other stuff can I put in? for example Terra's theme + Beethoven's moonlight sonata? how much of the sonata could i put in to the mix?
3. Any incorporation or arrangement of source material not from games (mainstream, classical, etc.) should be extremely limited.

The submissions standards answer most questions about arrangement you might have: http://ocremix.org/info/Submission_Standards_and_Instructions

The answer is usually in there, but I understand it's not the most interesting read to wade through :P.

Edited by Fishy