OCR Fit Club (Summer Session)

Steben

One thing I've been making a lot of progress on that I keep forgetting to mention here: flexibility. I've been working flexibility, with an emphasis on shoulders, and have made some definite improvements, resulting in swing skills on rings being much easier and less painful lately.

Today I spent a bunch of time working giants and double layouts on rings. I still tend to bend my arms in my giants, and my double layouts are still a bit piked, but both are definitely looking better than they ever have in the past.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to get the double layout solidly (and hopefully start twisting it) when I go to camp woodward in a couple weeks.

I also did a little bit of work on corsses, malteses, and inverted crosses. My inverts are getting much more solid, but I'm definitely losing ground on the cross and the maltese. Hopefully once my wrist brace arrives I'll be able to spend more time on those.

Over the next couple weeks, I'm going to start putting together full routines on rings and floor. (though odds are high I'll have to change them a bunch after the olympics, when the new rules are published -- they give the rules of the sport a complete overhaul every 4 years)

Regimen START!

Leg Press: 2 warmup sets, then 4 real ones. 7 reps X 600, 610, 625 and 650 respectively.

Abs: Vertical toe touches, with 35lbs extra weight going up. 3 sets X 30 reps.

Front Squat: ugh. hate these, i always feel like i'm going to hurt myself when i front squat, even though my technique is not that bad. Three sets of 10 10 and 9 respectively, all at 145 lbs. its a start.

Curls: two sets, 8 X 40s. Nothing extraordinary here.

Roman Chair: 2 sets, 8 with 55 lbs extra. Back extension if that makes more sense.

Leg Curl: 2 sets of 8 (again), 220lbs. Gonna have to find another way to do that, maxed out the machine.

Leg Extension: 2 sets of 8, 230 and 255 lbs. respectively.

For a first day I was really happy to see how much of my strength I had retained, I still have a ways to go however.

Well, even though I only worked out once last week I still hit a low for weight this morning.. weighed in at 222.

Tonight was slow at work and I had nothing else to do so I hit the gym for about 20 mins to get my muscles ready for tomorrow afternoon - I'm definitely going and am gonna get a good workout in. I plan on going Wednesday and Friday, too.

Slow weekend for me, no excercise. Oh, unless one counts the hot, strenuous work of putting up a large, hard plastic shed out in 94 degree weather for three days...nah. Not much work, just a lot of sun.

Yesterday was good, more stripping and a little painting at the end of the day. No cardio in that work, I -seriously- need some home DDR service or wii fit, I don't have the money for either :(

Yesterday, I did not go to the gym. Between not having enough to eat for lunch and not being able to sleep very well lately, I thought it would be a bad idea to strain my body. Also, having a hunger headache more or less completely incapacitates me. Today I will go to the gym.

Bench press, 4x12 @ 55-60 lbs.

Inclined bench press, 4x12 @ 55 lbs.

Declined situps, 100x

Bicep curls, 4x12 @ 25 lbs.

Run, 1.5 miles.

^not too sure if I'm using it right or not, but I mean 4 sets of 12 reps.

I have also found out last week that I can run 3 miles. That will probably be my new distance to cover. But on my more weight intensive days, I will run less for at least some sort of a warm up.

Oh, man, today was one hell of a day.

Spent 3 hours working out this morning, a good chunk of it on rings strength -- and I was having a pretty good rings strength day. I was hitting my crosses relatively easily and cleanly, and straight-arm press handstands on rings were absolutely nothing to me today (only two months ago I could barely do them). I didn't keep track of numbers, but I know I spent more time in a cross during that workout than I usually do in an entire day in the gym. I also did a bunch of strength sets in a spotting belt (the set I used was back lever, pull to cruss, press to maltese, press to inverted cross, lower back to maltese, drop to back lever, repeat).

After that, I got lunch, then went straight back into the gym and spent another hour or so on strength (broke my records for longest straight-body planche and longest straight-body front lever), did a set of crunches and a set of reverse crunches (45 of each -- I usually stop at 30), two sets of 10 muscle-ups, and some lunge jumps and calf raises.

It was fucking great!

I'm not sure if everyone remembered to check in for both checkins since the last time I caught up, but everyone's posted at least once since then except for Random Hajile, so that's good enough for me.

Incidentally, here's my list of participants and inactives. Double-check to make sure I haven't made a mistake.

PARTICIPANTS:

• Steben
  • Geoffrey Taucer
  • Fishy
  • DragonAvenger
  • Global-Trance
  • The Derrit
  • LuckyXIII
  • amarriedmegaphone
  • Vivi22
  • Majin GeoDooD
  • Mechasonic4ever
  • The Dennis
  • The Xyco
  • Blake

INACTIVE:

• Patrick Burns
  • OA
  • Kenobio
  • Blue Magic
  • Lord.Roderick.i
  • Random Hajile

And with that, my Week 6 check-in.

Sunday, June 8

Ran 22 minutes

Tuesday, June 10

Ran 23 minutes

Thursday, June 12

Elliptical machine 30 minutes

2 reps of weights

I've definitely improved on the elliptical machine since I last got to the gym here in AU weeks ago. I'll have to try and go again tomorrow before I return home for Father's Day weekend. The weights weren't as bad as I thought, despite my three-week hiatus.

My week off has made me kind of lazy... notice that I did nothing Monday or Wednesday. I need to make sure I get back in the habit I was in before.

Yeah today was overall a pretty lazy week... so much work i've just been biking around for about an hour and thats about it. I got a call that i was accepted for a role in the ren fest so that totally made my day... the role i have is using two short swords in a piratey scene so that should be fun... but i have to compete with someone else for that role on saturday so hopefully i get it... otherwise a pretty ok week i guess?

Ok so here's the motherlode, all this week's workouts.

Tues. 6/10

Dumbell Bench: 3X10, w/ 65s, 70s, 70s

Abs: 2X40, +120 w/ crunch machine

Seated Cable Row: 12, 10, 9, 8 with setting 11,11,11,12 (not sure about the weights, have to ask someone)

Military Press: 2 X 8 w/ 50s, 55s

Lat Pulldown: 2 X 8 w/ setting 11,12

Upright Row: 3 X 10 w/ 135, 140, 145 (done explosively w/ high acceleration)

Triceps Extension 2X8, 75, 80 (french curls)

Thurs. 6/12

Power Clean: 4X8, 115, 135, 135, 145 (done explosively)

Abs: 3X30, +10 w/ weighted leg lifts

Back Squat: 12,10,9,8 w/ 175, 180, 185, 200

Bicep Curl: 1X12 w/ 40s

Back extension: 1X12 +55

Leg Curl: 1X12, 259 (the machine wouldn't go any higher.. could be an issue.)

Leg Extension: 1X12, 189 (also maxed out)

Fri. 6/13

DB Bench: 9,7 w/ 80s, 80s

Abs: 2X30, one w/ +45 true crunch, one w/ +10 leg lifts

Seated Cable Row: 4X10, setting 8,9,10,11 (done explosively)

Military Press: 2X10, 50s

Lat Pull Down: 2X10, setting 12

Upright Row: 3X8, 150,175,200

Triceps Extension: 2X10, 80, 85 (french curl)

I love this. I already feel a ton stronger than the beginning of the week, and am making gains like crazy. If everything stays at this rate I should meet my goals with ease.

I made the goal to run 3 miles every day before this week started! I didn't run Sunday, but as I got a little more used to it I ran more than 3 miles on Thurs, Fri and Sat to make up for it!

TOTALLY ate unhealthy the last day though. Family thing. Gotta enjoy yourself once a week, I say, especially since I made a lot of progress! : )

Well, the week was great, the weekend was all right.

All week. Stripping, breaking down rooms, constant movement. Thursday or Friday, we removed at least, I'm not overexaggerating, two tons of books from a large room. Had to stop a few times and give my poor back some rest.

The weekend was spent helping my Mom-In-Law clean out her garage, which has been filled with stuff over their last few moves. Gigantic garage, completely full of various heavy things to lift and carry to the curb, which was pretty good training.

Sunday we did nothing. NOTHING. And it was greatly gratifying.

So there's my weekly report.

I'ma have to start running again, though, for all my activity. Running or speed walking.

Didn't do much again last week. Went camping in the woods last night though, so I'm sure the 10 hours of hiking through the woods my friend and I did had some benefit. Or at least, it better have given me some benefit to make up for the blisters on my feet. Even still, it was a lot of fun going out into the woods, eating army rations, and sleeping on the ground without a tent.

Didn't do much again last week. Went camping in the woods last night though, so I'm sure the 10 hours of hiking through the woods my friend and I did had some benefit. Or at least, it better have given me some benefit to make up for the blisters on my feet. Even still, it was a lot of fun going out into the woods, eating army rations, and sleeping on the ground without a tent.

You should probably take a day off or something. Hiking or just even walking a lot takes a lot out of you. I did a bunch of walking in the city yesterday, 4-5 hours and I don't think my feet have recovered yet. I'm questioning whether or not to run a mile or so today on top of doing weights. It's probably not a good idea.

You should probably take a day off or something. Hiking or just even walking a lot takes a lot out of you. I did a bunch of walking in the city yesterday, 4-5 hours and I don't think my feet have recovered yet. I'm questioning whether or not to run a mile or so today on top of doing weights. It's probably not a good idea.

Believe me, I'll be taking some time off to let my feet recover. I was limping home for the last kilometer or so. I've honestly never had blisters this bad on my feet, but I'm not overly surprised since I'm not used to walking that much.

Back from job training from last week so now I can post a bit. :)

Today was my first day on the job as a personal trainer at 24 Hour Fitness but since I'm fresh I had to do a lot of shadowing with the other trainers and get myself settled in with the company. I'm really excited to get working and helping others get fit and make a difference in someone else's life!

As for work out today, I needed to ease back into things since most of last week was sitting at a desk for hours for job training.

Arnold Shoulder Press on One Foot with 10 lbs. Dumbbells per arm at a 4-2-2 tempo (4 seconds going down, 2 seconds holding, 2 seconds going up), 2 sets of 10 reps per foot (so 4 sets in total)

Bicep Barbbell Curl on One Foot at a 4-2-2 tempo, 2 sets of 10 reps @ 20 lbs. per foot.

Deep Ring Dips again at a 4-2-2 tempo.

Then I had to do Hip Bridges, Prone Iso Abs, and other core exercises at various reps and tempos with one of the personal trainers. And I basically walked around for about 5 hours with the rest of the shadowing. Not bad at all today.

For a lot of my training now, I am going to be adding a lot of instability into the exercises (hence the one foot thing I mentioned). It helps burn more calories and it will help with other balancing issues in other exercises. Also I've really been trying to watch out for proper posture. Doing exercises with proper posture and proper technique at really slow tempos is really challenging!

Late as usual.

Another bad week for me. I went bike riding once, and did packing (we're moving to a brand new high school!), but that's about it. :(

Today, however, I sweated my ass off during graduation inside a very hot and humid gym, and tomorrow and Wednesday I will be packing a band room full of years of crap. I'll try to get some walking in on top of that, and get back to a more regular schedule now that school is finished. Next week will start my bike riding to summer job, too.

Late Checkin:

Last week was good until the weekend when I slacked a bit. Still maintaining the every other day weight training and 500-1000 calories a day on DDR (depending on time constraints).

On Sunday and yesterday I did nothing, but was still careful about what I'd eat. Weighing in at 185 - 16 lb. loss from the beginning 'til now!

I did a lot of strength work yesterday, so I took it fairly easy today.

Went in for a morning vault workout, then just hung out at the gym for the rest of the day, occasionally jumping up on rings to do a cross or a press or a few dips.

EDIT: Also: A WEEK AND A HALF UNTIL WOODWARD! The week of July 4th, I and nine of the kids I coach will be going to a weeklong gymnastics camp in PA, so I'll probably be working out almost all day every day while I'm there. Should be awesome.

I need to work on my lower abs and also obliques. Everything else seems to be doing just dandy. The exercise I was doing for obliques doesn't seem to isolate them as much as I thought, or maybe I'm not doing that part of the exercise slow enough. Most likely, it's the latter. I just want my abs to be a little more defined. But I haven't been doing enough. The decline sit ups are good, but I feel as if I'm putting a lot of stress on my back.

As for my update on handstands, I am getting better at falling over. Before, I was a bit scared and was too reliant on the wall. But I am more comfortable now with getting off of it even if it means failing horribly. I need more fingertip strength... >_>