OCR Fit Club (Summer Session)

Steben

Nekofrog, you'll need to at least post some sort of goal to officially participate in the game. I haven't been very picky about how much detail people have gone into, but here's the tl;dr rules: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showpost.php?p=403923&postcount=1

Here's my Week 4 check-in: (a little early for reasons I'll explain shortly)

Sunday May 25

- Ran 30 minutes

Monday May 26

- No real exercise, but swam a bit with family at a Memorial Day cookout

Tuesday May 27

- No real exercise, but tried out Wii Fit... I want it. Bad. Not because it's a real workout, but because it looks like a fun way to keep me aware of my weight at least.

Wednesday May 28

- Ran 30 minutes, 2.6 miles

Thursday May 29

- Ran 20ish minutes (forgot what time I started!)

Alright, so, I'm going to be mostly away from the internet the next week as I work as an adult staffer for the local National Youth Leadership Training course. I'll have to make it back to the 'net at least a couple times to fulfill my duties as the AU Band's webmaster, but I probably won't have time to mess with this thread until a week from Saturday. So I'll trust you guys to start off the Week 5 check-ins next Friday without me. I'll catch up with the bookkeeping to see if anyone's dropped out when I return.

So, uh, be good kids. My number's on the fridge. See you in a week!

Sorry for not posting an update in a while. Been kinda busy.

I'm glad to say that my leg strength is improving a bit and I'm gaining more stamina by doing alot of Stair Master exercises.

As for my abs....they still suck. I just cant seem to motivate myself enough to dedicate more time to them.

And I still don't have a concrete workout schedule set yet. I just kinda do what I feel like doing.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a athletically built person looking to improve overall stamina, abs, and leg strength?

Running helps all three. Abs less so, but it does work them.

I felt that this week has been good. I have made some progress and I figured that my old routine was not hardcore enough. So I've decided to add 5 pounds to some exercises. Bicep curls with 25 pounds is much more rewarding. At least my biceps feel jacked at the end of the day when they're really not. I just have to be more in control on the way down. In addition, I've also replaced normal sit ups with inclined sit ups. I can do far less inclined sit ups than the normal type. I haven't decided on a set number yet, or how high the incline should be. But at the height I was using today, I could really feel my abs being targeted. I'm used to doing a total of at least 150 or so. But on an incline, I think that even half as much would help gain some more immediate results.

I also am attempting to do the handstand business, but with no luck so far. I'm going to keep at it though. At one point, I lost balance and tried to reset again. While on my knees to put my feet on the wall, I yelled out, "TAUCER!!!!" I got some looks from people in the gym. They looked like they had no idea what I was talking about. But deep down inside, I knew they did.

I felt that this week has been good. I have made some progress and I figured that my old routine was not hardcore enough. So I've decided to add 5 pounds to some exercises. Bicep curls with 25 pounds is much more rewarding. At least my biceps feel jacked at the end of the day when they're really not. I just have to be more in control on the way down. In addition, I've also replaced normal sit ups with inclined sit ups. I can do far less inclined sit ups than the normal type. I haven't decided on a set number yet, or how high the incline should be. But at the height I was using today, I could really feel my abs being targeted. I'm used to doing a total of at least 150 or so. But on an incline, I think that even half as much would help gain some more immediate results.

I also am attempting to do the handstand business, but with no luck so far. I'm going to keep at it though. At one point, I lost balance and tried to reset again. While on my knees to put my feet on the wall, I yelled out, "TAUCER!!!!" I got some looks from people in the gym. They looked like they had no idea what I was talking about. But deep down inside, I knew they did.

When you say incline sit-ups, do you really mean incline or decline... I would think incline would be significantly easier than decline... incline means your upper body is higher than your legs and decline means the opposite... implying decline means you have to put more effort to bring your upper body up.

As for this week's check-in...

Monday:

Holiday. Felt sick. Decided to take an extra day off for adequate rest.

Tuesday:

100 steep decline sit-ups.

Ran only 4 miles today non-stop instead of the usual 5. I felt an immense numbness in both of my feet the more I ran and I was literally feeling nothing by the time I hit 4 miles... so I took it as a sign to stop. Feeling came back shortly after.

Wednesday: (Going for lower weight, higher reps now.)

Barbell Overhead Press: 100 reps @ 45 lbs, 50 reps @ 55 lbs, 25 reps @ 65 lbs.

Iso-Lateral High Rows: 100 reps @ 90 lbs

200+ floors on StairMaster

Thursday:

Incline Bench: 100 reps @ 45 lbs, 50 reps @ 55 lbs, 25 reps @ 65 lbs, 15 reps @ 95 lbs.

Barbell Bicep Curls: 100 reps @ 20 lbs.

No running today. I was a little offset by the whole numbness in the feet thing... but mainly I stopped my workout to fill out new hire forms at the gym I work out at and by the time I finished, I wouldn't have time to complete the cardio I wanted to do. Either 5 miles / 200 floors or nothing.

Friday:

Sumo Deadlift High Pull: I hadn't really done these so I started off with lower weight to make sure I was doing them right. 15-20 reps @ 40 lbs, 15 reps @ 60 lbs, 20 reps @ 70 lbs. These are awesome and I will be doing these more.

Reverse Flies / Rear Deltoid: 25 reps @ 15 lbs, 25 reps @ 30 lbs, ~20 reps @ 45 lbs.

While I didn't do as much cardio this week, I still feel I'm on the right track. I do a lot more cardio in general than most people and I'm trimming up pretty quick around the waistline. I can feel the six pack coming. Also now I am trying to adapt to a higher rep system to really start hitting muscle endurance through prolonged muscle contractions. Starting off with lighter weight, I plan on attempting to do 100 reps of a particular exercise at a particular weight. If I can complete 100 reps in 4 sets or less, then the next time I do that exercise, I will add a little more resistance and attempt 100 reps. If I can not hit 100 reps, then I will just keep training at that resistance until I can do so! By doing so I can acquire efficient motor unit recruitment, tone-up, acquire a lot more muscle endurance, and the slow increase in weight will allow me to adapt to higher weight much easier than if I decided to jump up resistance in sometimes a rushed and unsafe manner. Balance and stability for the win.

I noticed Blue Magic is using the StairMaster now too. Aren't those things awesome? I sweat so much on those things.

Did a bit more work on shoulder flexibility today. Also did a couple of muscle-ups and crosses.

Getting my wrist looked at this comming thursday, so hopefully I'll be able to get back into real hardcorse strength training after that.

(I really should still be working core and leg strength, but it's just hard to keep myself motivated; I'm used to just comming in and going straight to rings)

Weekly check-in!

So anyway, this week has been good and bad. Monday was holiday, no work. No work-out, either. Tuesday was all right. I painted and got a decent workout for a few hours before my allergy appointment. Weighed in and found out I'm 283 freakin' pounds. Holy shit.

Anyway, Thursday was an in-meeting. Every custodian in the county gathers and sits for 8 hours. No excercise.

Today (Friday) was very good for excercise. I was painting, moving constantly, and several times I aided in moving very heavy objects and sweated to the max. Great day. So, my week has been up and down, but I now have a new goal: to lose 60 pounds by the end of the year...! I hope to lose 10 to 20 pounds by the end of the summer, and with this kind of work, it's quite possible. More water, less soda, more movement.

^Yup. That's how you do it. You just have to conscious of what your actions are. It's really easy to sit back and relax. I find that stretching when watching TV or some other passive activity really helps. After I stretch, I feel more blood movement and more energized. I think that the first 10-20 pounds will come off relatively easily compared to the next 40 or so. Just don't get too cocky and keep pushing yourself.

As for my sit ups, it's all really perspective. By your definition I am doing declined sit ups. There is a machine for inclined sit ups with a machine where your body starts vertically and you push downwards, similar to bowing. But I don't really find that too difficult even if I increase the weight.

Today, I didn't go to the gym. Instead, I played ultimate frisbee for a good hour and a half. Even though it was really consistent running (as I'm usually picked as a handler), it was still running and plus, I had a lot of fun. :D Tomorrow, I am without any weights, except for some 10 pound ones and I will do some regular sit ups, push ups, curls, and stretching. Boy do I need to work on stretching my hamstrings. I can't even straddle pancake; it's more like a straddle lump of batter. :(

Time for the Weakly Czech Inn.

Took Sunday off - completely. Even had a hamburger with my old man...mistake. I had one a couple weeks ago and it made me sick. I thought that was an exception. It wasn't. I think that's my body's way of saying, "No more burgers, evar!"

Monday: weighed in at 195, burned ~531 calories on DDR MAXX 2. Did my regular weight routine w/benching, Flies (fly's?), and rows. Was also able to bump the 100 crunches up to 200.

Tuesday: weighed in at 193.5 (in the afternoon instead of the morning as usual). Did 150 crunches and 517 calories on DDR.

Wednesday: no DDR, but bumped the weight routine up 5 lbs. and did 150 crunches.

Thursday: went balls-out on DDR and burned 735 calories with 100 crunches.

Friday: weighed in at 190.5! I started this whole thing at 201 or 202. I'm feeling really good (not just at the fact I've lost 10 lbs) and I'm finally starting to see the overall energy increase in the day-to-day. I did 200 crunches, 550 calories on DDR, and the new max on weights.

Today I did a mild workout on DDR burning only 518 calories. In addition to all this I work at a Barnes & Noble store in the cafe, so I'm on my feet about 7.5 hours when I work and running around hauling milk. I'm able to fit more comfortably into older clothes again, and people are noticing a change.

Aside from all that, I just feel really good.

This week, I was able to incorporate exercise in with my good eating habits! I hadn't previously been exercising because of my sleeping problems and being on my feet all day, but I've taken time off so there's no excuses! :) I stuck to strictly cardio, because I have a lot of muscle already and I'm only particularly worried about losing weight at the moment. Ran every day, and was more active during my free time, DDRing and walking around a lot. I'm very happy with the results, sleeping like a baby! I don't have a scale where I live, though, so I'll have to wait until I visit a friend. I'm sure the results are positive.

THIS week, I have friends and my brother coming in from out of town to visit. I don't think my eating habits are going to be very healthy, they'll probably wanna go out a lot and such! I will, however, keep it toned down, and still find time for exercise :)

Checking in late, as usual.

Walking went well this week. I bought a pedometer over last weekend, and the furthest I walked (supposedly) was a mile and a half, but I average about a mile at a generally brisk pace. Currently I'm in Arad in Breath of Fire (I want to say a little more than 1/4 through, according to Gamefaqs).

Biking was awesome this week. I went exploring on a trail and got to see some awesome scenery that I didn't knew existed in my town, and there's more I'm hoping to see next time I go. I gotta work on being able to get up a somewhat large hill without walking, though.

Checking in late as well since it's a little difficult to type right now.

Went climbing on Tuesday, had Jiu Jutsu on Wednesday, and then again on Saturday. This week was kind of light since I spent most of my free time Thursday and Friday doing things to prepare for getting my new car (getting insurance, bank loan, that sort of stuff).

Anyway, Jiu Jutsu on Saturday threw a kink in most of my work out plans. I ended up bending my right thumb back, injuring one of the tendons in it. Now I have to keep my thumb totally immobile for the next few weeks while it heals which means no Jiu Jutsu, climbing, working out at the playground or even biking. All I can really do is run, so once the pain in my thumb subsides some more I'll get back to that. I'm really annoyed this happened, but I'll have to make the most of it. Hopefully it's better in time for me to get some more workouts in this summer and for the release of MGS4.

Checking in late, as usual.

Walking went well this week. I bought a pedometer over last weekend, and the furthest I walked (supposedly) was a mile and a half, but I average about a mile at a generally brisk pace. Currently I'm in Arad in Breath of Fire (I want to say a little more than 1/4 through, according to Gamefaqs).

Wait what? I...I don't get it...

Wait what? I...I don't get it...

She's playing Breath of Fire at the same time she's on a treadmill.

Today was an interesting workout.

Chest Fly: 100 reps @ 30 lbs., 100 reps @ 45 lbs.

Skullcrusher: 100 reps @ 30 lbs. 15 reps @ 40 lbs.

My arms are really quivering after the high reps... I guess I've been neglecting stabilizer muscles... that'll change quickly! :)

Ended with a usual 5 mile run. No numb feet this time. :)

I'm sorry this is so short but I have absolutely no time right now, so here's the short. I've been keeping in shape with lifting and good cardio (rowing with my hs team) and next week, my scheduled lifting starts. I might just post the lifts if anyone wants to tag along, its a straight brute strength regimen, which will gain you a good amount of muscle mass if done correctly and consistently. If anyone's interested let me know! I could use a partner, even if its only in spirit.

This week is shaping up pretty good. I started today with painting. Seems we'll be doing that for the rest of the week, at least. I painted fast and hard. Lemme tell ya, painting with an extension is hard work if you're moving fast. I'll be feeling the burn in my upper shoulders for a week. Awesome workout day, and the rest of the week should be at least as fruitful.

I'm sorry this is so short but I have absolutely no time right now, so here's the short. I've been keeping in shape with lifting and good cardio (rowing with my hs team) and next week, my scheduled lifting starts. I might just post the lifts if anyone wants to tag along, its a straight brute strength regimen, which will gain you a good amount of muscle mass if done correctly and consistently. If anyone's interested let me know! I could use a partner, even if its only in spirit.

Post it regardless.

Finally got a bit more of a workout today, though still not as much of one as I'd like. 5 muscle-ups, 5 sets of 10 seconds in band-assisted iron cross, 15 bulgarian dips, 30 seconds in straddle planche, 30 seconds in straddle front lever. My wrist was hurting too much to do more than that.

Have you gotten that checked out yet? I mean it seems like it's been hurting for a really long time.