OCR00948 - Chrono Trigger "Enter the Frog"

djpretzel

Hm, it's pretty nice, I like it. It has a very soothing, ambient flavor. Somehow the main melody is a bit off place when you've heard the original. Makes you think "cheesy parody." It sounds more like normal Melodic Trance than Hard Trance or Techno. I don't exactly know why, but it's pretty irritating to listen to with head phones, the panning's sorta strange. So much to my opinion..

i think JJT did a really great job on this one, i thought it could've used a heavier bass line, but i'm a trance fan, i really liked this track. It was smooth, and kept true. I liked the snare finish, wicked job. Glenn's theme was my #1 on the Chrono soundtrack, i'm really glad to have heard such a good remake, i'd also like to add the sword effect at the start really grabs a listener's attention (got mine) and the flute was beautiful below a 9/10 is insulting to this track.

Hey, this is cool. Very melodic and trancey, which I didn't initially think would work at all with the particular track... JTT did an excellent job of reinterpreting the theme. It's rather subtle, but not so much as to be completely ignored and forgotten in the background as you listen to it. When I saw the mention of a froggy's ribbit, I was a little worried that it'd be blantantly used (I'm not a huge fan of voice clips and sound effects in songs...), but it's well-incorperated and doesn't seem out of place in the least. Nicely done.

this was cool...i think it had a melodic balance to it...Frog's Theme itself was integrated nicely...it wasn't an in your face thumpin' techno...more like a laid back and chill out kind of feel...gives you a sense of what the real "frog" was like...reserved...yet seen as a figure of importance...

From the start, I'm liking the sounds used in this. Nice, chill, atmospheric. I don't really like the amount of panning used in this song though. I think it would have been good and not annoying if the stuff wasn't panned out so far. This is recorded a bit too quietly also. Maybe coulda used some more treble in the final mix. I like the section at 2:42; the bassline gets moving faster and some snare stuff is happening. Adds some nice energy. In general, this is pretty sweet! Nice job. Nice sounds.

This song OWNS. I'm always up for new remixes of Glenn's theme, and this one gives you more of an idea of what his character's supposed to be like. The song is very smooth and flowing without being "slow," and that takes a lot to do. The croaking is very well-meshed with the rest of the song, as is the sword-slash sound effect. Me likey! :D

ooh man that *shwing* sfx gave me the shivers. it was sooo good. song itself... sounding pretty good. i just wish the bassline fit better at :40, sounds a little ehh for a couple seconds. ive always liked the frog theme, so this is a plus ;) egh 1:49 it happens again. bassline clash (is it just me? haha i guess...) haha 3:09 was fun. i woulda liked a bigger pause though... overall, its a nice fun piece.

Thanx for the feedback guys 8)

For those of you who brought up panning issues: I'm still a bit of a newb when it comes to mixing, so when I first submitted this mix, everything was panned down the center (i forgot to take that into account). It got rejected (Disco Dan gave me a resounding "meh.") When I overhauled the mix, i guess i overcompensated slightly, and panned everything too far over. Oh well, i'm learning :roll:

Well, I don't really like this.. I like the start, it's smooth. but when you begin with some of the crashes, well, doesn't fit in.

I don't think the effects are, the croaking and the slash sounds, sound pretty good, the quality of the effects is just not as good as the rest and that ruins it all. But I must say, altough I don't like the coraking effect, it's pretty good mixed in with the rest of the music in the last park of the peice :)

I think the break is too suddenly, and the music starts too suddenly again.

Sorry if I trashed you JJT.

anyways, it's nice to see more Frog Theme ReMixes because it's so popular.

GIVE ME MORE. this is the kind of thing I look for when i come to OCR. something that i can have in the backround while i work or play. Good job. there were some problems with it, but by the time the song was over, I had forgotten what they were. it flows well, but the ending was a little weak.

• 4 weeks later...

*drools*

Frog's Theme...my favorite character from that game.

And what better to go with my love for Frog than a fantastic remix of his Theme from the game. JigginJonT, you rock. This piece was great, though at 2:15 it seemed like it would lead up to a really strong part in the remix, but it seemed to be underplayed a bit. It still sounded beautiful. This whole piece sort of gives off a feel of 'I can kill you very easily without breaking a sweat' hence why the music never builds up to a hard hitting point. Alot like frog.

This song kicks ass, Bruce Lee style.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I surfed over to this one after hearing a Magnetman Ska WIP of JJT's, and I sense that this guy has more than his share of musical creativity.

I found this mix to be pretty enjoyable. Yeah there's a few issues here and there (already been mentioned), but there's a lot of wonderful things too. One is that it pulls off the Frog theme in techno :P

I love that phat bass sound in the intro. Very nice. And the sword-drawing SFX is pure genius. Things get a little muddy around 2:30, but maybe that was intentional. Regardless, they pick up pretty soon after that. I agree with SGX, the top end is kinda hard to hear in this one; the whole mix sounds kinda boomy -- this means the mid-lowrange frequencies are probably overemphasized. I SO dig those running square wave arpeggios that start around 3:35. They kinda remind me of metroid for some reason. Total opposite of what you'd expect to hear during Frog's theme, and yet the fit perfectly.

Good stuff.

• 2 months later...

This is actually one of my favourite mixes on the site. The "fwip-fwap" drums (as I refer to them) in the opening I wasn't too keen on, but after listening to it a few times, they fit, and the trancy builds are just fantastic. I love how that sounds. It just gives the power that Frog should have.

The Frog croaking is clever, and although it's hard to hear sometimes, it does add a bit of a theme to the mix. I really like this mix. A lot. The background really gives the theme support, as opposed to some mixes I hear where it just seems to be separate melodies. This one really combines to be a powerful mix.

Excellent.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00948 - Chrono Trigger "Enter the Frog"