FAC - Fan Art Competition 14: BOSS MONTH - Voting Time!!!

atmuh

After 458 hours and 15 minutes my contribution is colored and shaded. I'll add a background before sending it in though.
geez, from the sounds of it, i hope mine will at least stand up

Linkjing, 458 hours straight would bring us to June 19th. How could your work stand up to time travel? :<

Ok, slight hiatus due to work, and now I'm back on track.

Question for the other artists and I guess for the voters too - what are your feelings on backgrounds? Do you think they take away from the main focus of the piece, or that depending on what's done it helps to bring out the fullness of a work?

(personally, I suck at backgrounds, and always have ;_;)

Do you think they take away from the main focus of the piece, or that depending on what's done it helps to bring out the fullness of a work?

That really depends on how it's done. If you want to keep all focus on the main subject, then do a simple background that supports the theme. However an intricate background can really become part of the composition to deliver a powerful atmosphere. Just take a look at some other artworks to kind of figure out which route you want to take.

Sending in my contribution now. Phew.

Question for the other artists and I guess for the voters too - what are your feelings on backgrounds? Do you think they take away from the main focus of the piece, or that depending on what's done it helps to bring out the fullness of a work?

You can make the backgrounds as detailed/advanced as your own art piece. If they match in style and quality then the background can certainly improve it.

Honestly, I was thinking of just sending mine in with a white background since my first attempt sucked, since that wouldn't be bad since the main focus is the image/render(artpiece anyway. But as I said, a background can enhance it, which is why I tried again and made better progress that time around.

but what do I know, all I know I've learned from sigs. This is the first time I do this seriously D:

Ok, slight hiatus due to work, and now I'm back on track.

In my opinion, do what feels right to you. Its not like you're making this for a client of some sort, just enjoy making your own piece of art.

C+G

I'm looking forward to how some of these finished pieces will look.

I just got a question in terms of voting, to keep it fair for all the people who put their time and effort into making an artwork. I know we vote by sending a PM to Atma, but is there going to be some sort of check in place (like explaining why you voted that way) in order to make sure that people are voting for the actual artwork, and not for the love of the game it came from?

I know that this is the first Fan Art competition that is not about a single game, but about a general topic (boss month), so I'm just wondering that when it comes down to voting, is it going to be more about the fan, and less about the art? Of course nostalgia is always a factor in things like this, but how are you going to assess votes Atma, or are you just going to let it slide?

I know that this is the first Fan Art competition that is not about a single game, but about a general topic (boss month), so I'm just wondering that when it comes down to voting, is it going to be more about the fan, and less about the art? Of course nostalgia is always a factor in things like this, but how are you going to assess votes Atma, or are you just going to let it slide?

Sadly, the art contest world shall always be plagued by what I call "The Balloon Theory". If you have a blue balloon, however fantastical and crazy-go-nuts awesome it is, and the people/judges want a green balloon, well... blue balloon: owned.

It's a big problem because most art competitions are judge/voted on by mostly non-artists :whatevaa:. I regularly contribute to art competitions and am currently (quite hurriedly) trying to get something done before Sunday when I'll be away from my supplies till the 27th. Looking forward to all the amazing entries!

I HAVE RISEN FROM THE DEPTHS OF HELL ITSELF TO ONCE AGAIN CHALLENGE THE OCR ART COMMUNITY.

WITH THIS PENCIL I WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS! DON'T YOU KNOW WHO THE HELL I AM?!

1209249770892.jpg

I was going to start my submission tomorrow.... but... errr... well yeah.

sindra hes the guy that you went :o to all his past entries

man you should ONLY post like that ever phalanx

also someone has to tell radical dreamer that he is not allowed to enter unless i am off his ignore list

that is non negotiable