AVALANCHE: Fanmade FF7 action/adventure game

zircon

A few months ago, a guy by the name of Rich Whitehouse emailed me saying he was working on an FF7 spinoff game in the style of Devil May Cry, starring Tifa. The game, which is made with custom technology, existing FF7 graphics, processed FF graphics, and entirely new assets, uses a number of songs from Voices of the Lifestream for its soundtrack. I saw some pictures and a video in the initial email and was impressed, but had forgotten about it until a few days ago, when it was officially released. The game is titled AVALANCHE; you can read more about it and download it for FREE here:

http://www.telefragged.com/thefatal/ava/

Don't be fooled by the simple website and seemingly-primitive graphics (after all, they are primarily FF7-era.) This game is - *gasp* - FUN! I'm not too far yet, but it's not just a simple demo or prototype. It looks to be a fully featured game with lots of content. The gameplay is the high point, of course. You control Tifa, using either keyboard, keyboard/mouse, or Xbox 360 controller (preferred, according to the developer) and fight your way through all sorts of enemies. You start off with a healthy list of attacks you can do using the games easy controls - punch, kick, jump, and move. You can string together various combos and special techniques right off the bat, and the combat is hectic & enjoyable.

As you kill stuff, you get a form of points which are spent at your home base area to either advance your stats, purchase items (and there are a LOT of items of all sorts) or learn new abilities. There are a host of abilities available even at the start of the game, and more are unlocked as you go along. Examples include a "Thrust" attack which is a simple punch + directional combo, a wall jump, and an air-to-ground stomping attack. It's a bit addicting to kill enemies and build up your money to advance your character.

Check out some gameplay footage here:

Given that this is all being done by one guy, essentially from scratch (as it's not a mod of any kind), it's got a few rough spots. The framerate is a little slow considering the lower resolution and poly count, the environments aren't exactly eye-candy if you're used to next-gen games, and from time to time you'll encounter little things that aren't *quite* right. But as fan games go, this is easily the most successful I have ever seen or played especially considering how ambitious it is. Even compared with cult indie hits, AVALANCHE is great.

So check out the website, read the manual, download, and spread the word. THIS is the kind of fan-created game I always hoped OC ReMixes would end up in, and I'm proud to have been involved!

Pezman: I don't know much about video cards, but the game runs reasonably well on my dual core 2.4ghz computer with an Nvidia En7600GS (512mb RAM). It's definitely not even a midrange card. Check your configuration settings and make sure it's not running at a really high resolution. If it's already pretty low, turn off some of the graphical features.

512 is midrange now? I don't even want to know how it's going to do on my 64mb X300.

Well, I'm just going by price. It cost me about $110 when I bought my computer over a year ago. I've heard the 8800GT (I think?) is about $200 or so, and that's considered a standard 'gamer' card. So the high end cards are probably several hundred over that.

Well, I'm just going by price. It cost me about $110 when I bought my computer over a year ago. I've heard the 8800GT (I think?) is about $200 or so, and that's considered a standard 'gamer' card. So the high end cards are probably several hundred over that.

$169 or so on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130318

The prices just keep going down :3

Man, I can't get this thing to run for the life of me. I open it up and get a black screen and nothing else. Tried all the troubleshooting in the manual and got nothing. And apparently the Radeon IGP 320M is integrated into the motherboard and ATI doesn't even support it... so drivers or upgrading to a better card aren't even options.

I hate my laptop.

I downloaded it and it works but, after the first cut scene the game camera is constantly spinning around and i dont know why. I had the controls mapped to a USB controler of mine, and it wasn't like i was holding the camera stick down before the game started or anything like that. I used the keyboard controls and it does the same thing too. :?

Sorry to hear you guys are having some problems. Rich is very open to feedback and there's even a bug report section of the site, so definitely let him know if you're encountering difficulties (but include what hardware you're using.)

I'm still on the second teleporter pad, going through the series of harder fights (w/ the guard dogs) but I recently upgraded my stats so I'm excited to go back and kick some tail :)

i'm starting to wonder how many levels there are in the battle arena.

i'm on the 2nd wall now and it's the teleporter next to the statue...i don't know what number that is.

a couple points for those of you playing:

-try to get your Mako Charge abilities as fast as possible, it makes the game soooo much easier.

-try to buy the 15,000 ???? item as soon as possible too. the rest of the items aren't worth buying...unless you like handguns from parasite eve for fun.

(also zircon i have no idea how good your computer runs this, but your next section was a serious pain in the ass for me, because the flashlight didn't work for me)

So, no matter what I do, now that I have saved at the first possible point, I only get the "Time wrapped, restarting" message. How do I fix this?

EDIT: My comp was being stupid until I restarted it. Now I need to figure out how to get rid of the choppiness.

EDIT: Disabled per pixel lighting and the world is good now.