Final Fantasy XIII on the Xbox 360

Halt

As for the universe, we don't know all the ties just yet.

That painting here may be of a divinty from FFXIII, and the weaponry of the antagonist of VersusXIII's hero, ressembles the one of the main character of FFXIII.

The storyline may extend between generations. And if that's the case, imagine how huge an achievement those 3 games will be.

I think they're trying to do in one episode what they did with Compilation of FFVII.

Create ramifications & emotional link to entice gamers who loved one game to play (=buy) them all.

I can already picture the enormous merchandising around that too.:mrgreen:

Well seeing as I loved what they managed to pull off with Crisis Core, I guess that could work. And this is considering that I wasn't even a huge fan of FF7. Oh, the thought of playing not one but two epic Final Fantasies in a row would be exhilarating.

Allright! Brace yourselves for the worst combat system evolution ever!

Basically they take the mechanics from FFXII... and they go backwards in time.

Forcing players to enter a zone, like prior turn-based ATB, only to move & fight freely like in FFXII.

And the most laughtable matter:

Compared to what the early demos were showcasing, I was expecting a very dynamic & modular combat system.

But those battle are just way too soporific, it's painful to watch!

This thread makes me sad, since I have to wait for this game until fall. But if you notice big title releases there mostly in the fall. Every year. They even talked about this on G4. about Why don't devs release big titles in the summer when kids have money. haha.

Forcing players to enter a zone, like prior turn-based ATB, only to move & fight freely like in FFXII.

Compared to what the early demos were showcasing, I was expecting a very dynamic & modular combat system.

It's worse than I thought. I'm just hoping whoever was playing just sucks at it(or was going that slow for demos sake), and that it can go much, much faster when put in the hands of someone who can really make it go. It's almost insulting to think that after the quantum leap forward they took with FFXII in terms of design, they're taking it back to some sort of bad hybrid of FFX-2 and FFXII.

Seriously, A.I.-controlled party members in a totally menu driven battle screen? And why the hell are we still transitioning to said battle screen? Might as well just give me random battles. At the very least, they could have gone halfway and had the battle menus pop up after coming into contact with the enemy.

I fear for the success of this game.

I watched the trailer and and was like "... wh- what happened to the awesomeness I saw in the Lightning trailer!?"

The dream is dead...

Oh for fucks sakes I've already posted the vids earlier yesterday on this thread. Nice to see my posts be ignored. >:L

But I'm more amazed of the doom and gloom I'm reading here. If you honestly think you won't enjoy it at all, simply not buy it; especially based on what I'm reading here as of late most plan on buying it and expecting it to be shit. :lol:

i really enjoyed the speedy battles of ff12. i'm kind of sad to see that they're killing that idea this time around.

It's worse than I thought. I'm just hoping whoever was playing just sucks at it(or was going that slow for demos sake), and that it can go much, much faster when put in the hands of someone who can really make it go. It's almost insulting to think that after the quantum leap forward they took with FFXII in terms of design, they're taking it back to some sort of bad hybrid of FFX-2 and FFXII.

Why would you not assume this to be true? Seeing as NO ONE has played the game before VERY RECENTLY it wouldn't even make sense for him to be any good at it, and if its early in the game, which 99% of demos are, of COURSE the fighting is going to be slow, part of the idea of RPGs is, you know, having your stats go up as time goes on? Like speed? I mean name me a JRPG that starts out with blazing fast battles.

Also, who cares if you zone? It's EXACTLY the SAME. The only difference is you don't have to worry about dumb A.I. getting caught on walls, or aggroing someone you don't want to fight against. I see no downside in having the player zone into battles; it lets you know you're in a fight, when its over, and keeps the rest of your party from fucking around when you're not fighting.

I swear when did it become cool to hate on Square, I guess they got too cool recently.

Eh, they can change the battle all they want, but it doesn't amount to much as far I'm concerned. A real advance would be for the game to be more than just a battle system. You know, more like an actual RPG instead of just another random encounter monster genocide machine.

As it is, the last several JRPGs I've played have been 50+ hours of a battle system that really only has enough to it to last for 20 hours without getting stale. (Except for Ys, but it's really a hardcore action-platformer thinly disguised as an RPG.)

Why would you not assume this to be true? Seeing as NO ONE has played the game before VERY RECENTLY it wouldn't even make sense for him to be any good at it, and if its early in the game, which 99% of demos are, of COURSE the fighting is going to be slow, part of the idea of RPGs is, you know, having your stats go up as time goes on? Like speed? I mean name me a JRPG that starts out with blazing fast battles.

Also, who cares if you zone? It's EXACTLY the SAME. The only difference is you don't have to worry about dumb A.I. getting caught on walls, or aggroing someone you don't want to fight against. I see no downside in having the player zone into battles; it lets you know you're in a fight, when its over, and keeps the rest of your party from fucking around when you're not fighting.

I swear when did it become cool to hate on Square, I guess they got too cool recently.

Let me visualize it for ya.

I-IX---X-- X-2----------XIII-----------------------------XII

Even with all the additions they say they'll make to the battle system in the final version(which makes me wonder why they bothered to show off a demo if it was THAT incomplete) it's still going to be behind XII in terms of actual innovation.

I don't know if it's because people who play turn-based JRPGs have the reflexes of a sloth and can't play anything that requires them to think on the fly, but it shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes of playing with the ATB system to figure out how everything works.

...I don't know if it's because people who play turn-based JRPGs have the reflexes of a sloth and can't play anything that requires them to think on the fly...

Be careful with that statement... There are those that play such jrpgs and can go through masochistic play-throughs, such as myself, on games like "Imperishable Night" on lunatic mode or "Dante Must Die" mode on the original DMC 3 before they re-released the "special version" with one issue being to re-balance the difficulty among other things. (A friend gave me his copy of the older DMC3 version because he said it was "too hard")

That said, as I look back on the vids and noticed how some of the attacks can easily miss due to how the enemies are hit, it makes me think back on Valkyrie Profile and that problem with missing your target is much more apparent in the latest game in that series. Just have to attack the enemy with timing.

i think it was great, since it brought some real innovation to the series. gambits are awesome!
I liked it because it was pretty much a third person version of the Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale games, complete with AI scripts and contingencies. And the music was nice as Darkesword nailed.

it was pretty much just final fantasy xi's system with some more generic mmo stuff jammed in

Actually it was mostly Vagrant Story's system, updated a little bit. ;-)

And the sound FXs were recycled from Vagrant Story (concentration before cating spell, sword & arrow hit, and such...).

Logic considering Sakimoto was in charge, but lazy nonetheless...