Nintendo E3 Press Conference

XZero

Wow... what a disappointment. For me, at least. There was so much more they could/should have done. What better way to show off the 1:1 controls with a new Zelda game or *gasp* a Mario Tennis Wii title? I may get that sports game, but none of the rest of the conference had anything appealing.

That's just me, though, so what did you all think?

Seriously, the last thing the Wii needs at the moment is another Mario sports title.

The fact that one wasn't announced I guess is a plus. But the Wii's roster is looking rather dry, and they failed to put anything new or exciting on the board.

Even the MotionPlus was only tacked onto yet another Wii tech demo passing off as a game.

Is it just me or did it seem like they were trying too hard to convince everyone (or themselves) that the new WiiMotion thing is a really fun thing? It seems like it could open some more opportunities for better Wii games, but it just seemed like they themselves weren't even having that much fun showing it? This as opposed to bringing out a product that needs no convincing and the audience understands how fun it is just by watching. Back when it first was announced, I thought the Wii was gonna be like the next level in gaming and that playing with gamepads would feel caveman-ish in comparison but now It feels like they're taking a step back in gaming.

I am excited for Animal Crossing, but really nothing else though.

Edited for clarification and spelling

I'm curious to hear more about WiiMotion. Am I right in assuming it just basically refines the use of the accelerometer? I think it's a good thing that can then both tighten up controls which use that function, and also make other controls (1:1 motion) viable. I really liked Wii Sports, so I know I'm going to be getting WiiMotion with Wii Sports Resort. I'm looking forward to trying out WiiMotion with older games as well, to see if it does tighten up those controls or if works differently. I will most likely get Animal Crossing, since it sounds like it could be fun (having never played a game in the series before).

A thought I have is, are they going to make a "nunchuk 2.0" now using whatever tech from WiiMotion? In my experience, it's the nunchuk's motion control that has always been very hit-and-miss; unless all you have to do is shake it (and in not any specific direction), it's not a viable control method.

Anyway, no hard drive/storage solution announcement suprised me, no Pikmin 3 announcement was a downer, and I'm a bit concerned about titles like Disaster being off the radar. All in all this press conference was rather disappointing, but at least games like the new Wario have already been announced so we know some good stuff is coming down the pipeline.

I can only say this: at several times during the press conference, I found myself booing at the television.

Way to go Nintendo, I bought your console for No More Heroes and the Virtual Console. Boo.

Edit: I suppose I can be excited about the Wii Speak. I can flail my arms around AND yell at my television; all the while, people can complain about having to hear my muffled voice over the sounds of my dog barking at my washing machine.

The only thing I heard the whole time during that entire conference was "sales sales sales sales sales sales sales we rock we rock we rock sales sales sales double double double."

Huge disappointment. Of course, with all the bombshells Microsoft was dropping, it's gonna be hard to compete, and don't get me started on the massive failure that was the Sony press conference.

I think my biggest problem with their showing this year is that even though they've continually said in the past that "we're committed to the core gamer," they're not really backing that up. They didn't show off a single game aimed at the "core gamer" crowd.

They're sitting on this amazing piece of technology with all this motion sensing stuff, and I truly believe it's innovative and what the industry needs and all that, but you know what? They're getting lazy. They've got this new 1:1 tech and they're giving us another WiiSports game. They're giving us a game where you can play frisbee with a dog. To quote Lewis Black: What the fuck?!

Come on Nintendo! You introduce 1:1 tech, at the very least give us something like Link's Master Sword Training! Something with higher production values than another Wii Sports game, because while Wii Sports was a great, low-cost way to introduce people to the concept, it's not something they should be relying on as a franchise.

And it's not just the 1:1 stuff that makes me mad; it's that Nintendo is just resting on their laurels right now and not bringing any more compelling software to the table. Wii Music? Wii Sports Resort? This isn't compelling stuff. This is 1st Party Shovelware.

Gotdamnit Nintendo, shape it up. I love your systems, but you're not giving me any games to play on them!

The conference was certainly underwhelming. I'm excited about Wii Sports Resort, Animal Crossing and the MotionPlus, but I'm very much concerned about Wii Music. Honestly though, my main problem is just that so little was shown. Although, I guess it was a deliberate decision on Nintendo's part--there's plenty that we know about that they could have shown, they just chose not to for some reason. I get the impression that Nintendo was using the conference to target the mainstream press, which is fine, but it did make for a less interesting show.

I get the impression that Nintendo was using the conference to target the mainstream press, which is fine, but it did make for a less interesting show.

That's a really good point. There are always other opportunities to target the "core gamer," as they love saying, but big events like this are the prime times to capture the attention of those who don't read IGN.

OK, having watched all three conferences, I can honestly say this year was the most boring I've seen in five years.

All any of them did was announce things that were obvious or already announced. Nintendo's biggest surprise was, I think, the GTA game for the DS. Hardly what I was expecting, but nothing I really care about. Maybe Wii Sports Beach, but I'd have to try it first.

Sony didn't drop any bombs so much as they gently loaded them onto a crane and lowered them safely onto a pillow. I could have sworn I heard about MAG some time ago (and it looked very pre-renderd as it was). Another God of War? You don't say! More Resistance? O-M-G, indeed! Sony is starting to be like Nintendo: get a series going and just release another sequel every so often. Oh, and could they say "only possible on PS3" and "exclusive for PS3" enough? I lost count after the first barrage of clips.

MS had the only real surprise (FF13), and even that wasn't too big a deal. It's not the first time SE has produced for other systems, and once the details came out, it made sense.

Honestly, the floor show needs to have something really good in order to get some attention. But from here on in, it's more previously announced titles and whatever little companies found room in the back.

Color me disappointed this year...

Maybe TGS or even a sudden Space World later this year will show us something?

The conferences are basically each company's chance to wow the shit out of everybody. That obviously didn't happen this year. Now all that's left is the floor show. That's where we get news on games in development. Sure, we aren't going to get any mega-awesome surprises now, but at least we get details and updates about games we knew are coming out soon.

Maybe next year will have something.

I was really hoping he was going to announce an F-Zero title since he mentioned about the tune he was playing was from F-Zero.

No talk of Virtual Console games/Wii Ware or another Metroid(I can hope..) :\

The only thing I liked is the 1:1 motion and Animal Crossing Wii.

No talk of Virtual Console games/Wii Ware...

I'm hoping some neat stuff shows up on the floor show. It won't make up for the let down felt today, but it could help having some amazing Wii Ware titles to look forward too post Mega Man 9.