OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

well apparently we needed to restart because zircon and bahamut felt that it would take forever for them or anyone else to get to number one as it stood

although the irony is that now neither of them have very much time to play and the stats are basically saying 'this is who plays engy the most'

I have nothing to do with server operations outside of in-game admin stuff... I didn't discuss the stats reset at all (even though I agree with it.) There's not some big conspiracy :P

Also, I was under the impression that as an Engy you do lose points when your buildings are destroyed. Was that my imagination?

Granted, offensive harrying with your sentry can be difficult if you can't get established. The Level One sentries get eaten alive by soldiers and demomen, so it's hard to have that forward cannon stay up unless you play it more defensively than aggressively.

But still, I don't like how Engineer points work either. They should most definitely get points for when their sentries kill people, but as for building them? They get more points from building a sentry than you do getting a standard kill on someone around your point total (Or at least that's how it used to be). It's kinda BS-y, especially considering defensive engineers aren't usually in a position to *lose* those points. If you're a competent defensive engineer (which isn't really that hard), you shouldn't be getting killed much, so those points aren't being redistributed well.

If the engineer's point gaining can be tweaked, I'm all for it.

I'm with Atmuh on this. I'm not saying I should have had a say in the points being reset or anything like that, but it woulda been nice to know about it before hand and to also figure out how point distribution could be fixed.

As it stands, building everything from the Engineer gets you about 13 points, or something like that. Having those destroyed makes you lose nothing (unless you yourself destroy them by using '5'). As Colin has demonstrated, you can just spam stats by going engy, building everything right outside, switching classes to something else and back...and repeating.

I dunno. Engy points are kinda screwy.

For me, making 13 points then losing 25 from getting killed by someone with less points than me makes for a semi better offset than making 2 points then losing 25. I don't agree with people abusing it like was just said, but I never thought about it till just now, so it might not have been a good thing to post on here ;)

The biggest reason I regret the stat reset (no, not my ranking going from top 5 to 21) is all the overall collective stats.

I liked knowing how many kills I got with an Engy pistol on the server, and knowing if I had the most or not. I liked knowing what classes I had played the most. I liked collecting all the daily awards. I liked knowing my long-time kill:death ratio against certain people, which needs a big sample size. I liked knowing who had been on the server, when they were on last, and how long they were there. Although we're starting again with these

I really don't care that much about what place I'm in, but I found all those other stats incredibly interesting, and I miss them. Not to be overly dramatic (too late :<), but I have had fewer urges to play TF2 since the stats reset. Maybe other people feel the same way, which might contribute to nobody playing in the server? Just saying.

I gotta say the biggest point spam has gotta be Spy. 2 points per Sapper, and then 2 points per kill/destruction with a spy is pretty ridiculous. If you got an engie knocking off stuff in a Sap-Spam it can take about 7 or so saps to kill a Sentry. That's 21(14+5+2) points right there. Plus generally you sap a dispenser and maybe a tele so that is another 15 points right there (9+6). It's kinda rediculous.

The biggest reason I regret the stat reset (no, not my ranking going from top 5 to 21) is all the overall collective stats.

I liked knowing how many kills I got with an Engy pistol on the server, and knowing if I had the most or not. I liked knowing what classes I had played the most. I liked collecting all the daily awards. I liked knowing my long-time kill:death ratio against certain people, which needs a big sample size. I liked knowing who had been on the server, when they were on last, and how long they were there. Although we're starting again with these

I really don't care that much about what place I'm in, but I found all those other stats incredibly interesting, and I miss them. Not to be overly dramatic (too late :<), but I have had fewer urges to play TF2 since the stats reset. Maybe other people feel the same way, which might contribute to nobody playing in the server? Just saying.

Yeah, I really didn't want to play on the server when it happened either, cause there at the last few weeks before the reset I played my ass off to get out of the 9000 point area I was in and get up to almost 13,000. Then bam, lost it all. But after forcing myself to play some after the reset, Im wanting to play a little more than I was before, but I'm in the middle of moving so no time to now. Damn time.

Spies are the other contentious point on HLStats, but the flipside about spies is you're a lot more likely to die than a defensive engineer, even if you are a really good spy. Between spy-checking and just plain bad luck, there's a good chance you'll be discovered and get reamed. Yes, the best spies don't often have this problem, but not everyone who plays Spy is good at it. Point spamming that way is rougher than doing it as an Engineer, who I might add, get points every time they destroy one of your Sappers.

That being said, odds are you'll make a profit as a Spy over your deaths, but the Spy is such a high-risk class that them getting more points makes some sense to me. A tweak or two wouldn't be bad, per se, but I think the Spy issue's a lot less ridiculous than the Engineer one.

Spies are the other contentious point on HLStats, but the flipside about spies is you're a lot more likely to die than a defensive engineer, even if you are a really good spy. Between spy-checking and just plain bad luck, there's a good chance you'll be discovered and get reamed. Yes, the best spies don't often have this problem, but not everyone who plays Spy is good at it. Point spamming that way is rougher than doing it as an Engineer, who I might add, get points every time they destroy one of your Sappers.

That being said, odds are you'll make a profit as a Spy over your deaths, but the Spy is such a high-risk class that them getting more points makes some sense to me. A tweak or two wouldn't be bad, per se, but I think the Spy issue's a lot less ridiculous than the Engineer one.

Exactly. I know that as a Spy, I get killed a lot by bad luck... usually because I tend to duck around corners when I'm about to decloak, and if there's someone there...

That's not even counting dying from rockets or bombs someone was throwing at my teammates while I'm cloaked.

Bad luck definitely happens as a Spy, but I've found that, and I know this sounds really cliched, but...after a while, you end up making your own luck in terms of Spy.

Sure, occasionally I'll go for a backstab on a Soldier who'll rocket jump with a crit and kill me (I'm not making this up, it happens about once a week). But I'm not at all afraid of going through the vents in Turbine anymore, regardless of the fact that if I run into a Pyro I'm dead.

Eh. I like Spy more than I used to. And since everyone plays Pyro so much, I need another class to fall back on.

I've been working almost exclusively at improving as spy lately, (as some people may notice, I've gotten slightly better) but it's tough to make a living as spy. Keep in mind that unless you're careful placing the sappers, chances are you're practically giving away your location. And if you do end up with a sap, un-sapped, re-sap, unsapped, re-sap, situation it's pretty obvious who the spy is and you're about to get killed.

I'm no expert on point distribution, but I think it's mostly fair, however it's a little easy to farm points as engie if you want.

Haha, definitely entertaining, I think it could drive you crazy if you listened to it on a regular basis, but having the pyro attempting to sing over top of the heavies Dom Dom da-Dom dom Dom da-dom Dom Dom DOM! is pretty sweet.

Also, "still alive", sung by scouts and heavies is just plain disturbing.