MAGFest 7: Jan. 1st - 4th, 2009

Bahamut

Posting power go!

For those that don't know (and rightly so), this is Kim, the chicka that was running around like a mofo trying to get the DJ setup running on Saturday night. (+1 sharkhat of awesome)

Firstly I would like to thank bLiND, Jade and QPA for not only putting up with a complete stranger telling them the going-ons, but also for bLiND and QPA learning the DJ setup in less then a hour (shoved up into our tiny room) and jumping on the roster in a heartbeat.

Originally the whole shenanigan was QPA. DJ Awesome and myself trying to finagle some time in the jamspace for game-related techno stuff (hell if I'm carrying all that equiptment for nothing). We were given a mere 15 minutes live each, so I dropped my slot for bLiND to pump his new remixes. Well worth it I do believe. :D

In the end it ended up being bLiND (30min), DJ Awesome (15min), QPA (15min), followed by No Carrier (who also did the NES visuals you saw all weekend!).

A thanks towards Escariot and EK for letting us practice during the starting concerts.

A huge friggen THANKS to all of you that enjoyed the impromtu DJ session there Saturday Night (and the chiptunes on Friday Night!). I'm glad some one out there enjoyed the electronic stuff on top of the amazing rocking-out bands. That's what Magfest is all about, Games and MUSIC. We all appreciate your feedback.

The vid of bLiND didn't turn out, but we have some really good photos coming as soon as they finish processing.

- DJ Awesome

- QPA

From this comes great news for next year, straight from the mouth of Dom:

Next year the Jamspace will be open again to be purely Jamspace. That means wandering in and Jamming out. So completly unscheduled stuff.

The Open-Mic will instead be hosted in a different location.

The Chiptunes and DJ session will be moving to the MAIN CONCERT HALL (After the main line concerts of course). So next year, we may actually be prepared! (bLiND, you gotta come back to play now :D).

Later when we have timeslots and more info down for Magfest 8 I will be organizing the DJs and music makers for that portion of the night, so you'll be hearing from me.

And that is all that news I have to drop at the given moment. Thank you all for coming out and making Magfest 7 amazing as hell. I hope you all return for Magfest 8, we're gonna blow the roof off!

Posting power go!

For those that don't know (and rightly so), this is Kim, the chicka that was running around like a mofo trying to get the DJ setup running on Saturday night. (+1 sharkhat of awesome)

Firstly I would like to thank bLiND, Jade and QPA for not only putting up with a complete stranger telling them the going-ons, but also for bLiND and QPA learning the DJ setup in less then a hour (shoved up into our tiny room) and jumping on the roster in a heartbeat.

Originally the whole shenanigan was QPA. DJ Awesome and myself trying to finagle some time in the jamspace for game-related techno stuff (hell if I'm carrying all that equiptment for nothing). We were given a mere 15 minutes live each, so I dropped my slot for bLiND to pump his new remixes. Well worth it I do believe. :D

In the end it ended up being bLiND (30min), DJ Awesome (15min), QPA (15min), followed by No Carrier (who also did the NES visuals you saw all weekend!).

A thanks towards Escariot and EK for letting us practice during the starting concerts.

A huge friggen THANKS to all of you that enjoyed the impromtu DJ session there Saturday Night (and the chiptunes on Friday Night!). I'm glad some one out there enjoyed the electronic stuff on top of the amazing rocking-out bands. That's what Magfest is all about, Games and MUSIC. We all appreciate your feedback.

The vid of bLiND didn't turn out, but we have some really good photos coming as soon as they finish processing.

- DJ Awesome

- QPA

Next year the Jamspace will be open again to be purely Jamspace. That means wandering in and Jamming out. So completly unscheduled stuff.

The Chiptunes and DJ session will be moving to the MAIN CONCERT HALL (After the main line concerts of course). So next year, we may actually be prepared! (bLiND, you gotta come back to play now :D).

Later when we have timeslots and more info down for Magfest 8 I will be organizing the DJs and music makers for that portion of the night, so you'll be hearing from me.

And that is all that news I have to drop at the given moment. Thank you all for coming out and making Magfest 7 amazing as hell. I hope you all return for Magfest 8, we're gonna blow the roof off!

First off, thank you for this. I told my housemates how white-ly I danced and I had to show them something. This was definitely one of the best moments I can recall, and my legs are still actually recovering from the dancing. Thank you all so much for that ridiculous set, and I definitely am hoping the audio rips make it somewhere online, cause the sets were sick. Great job all around in JamSpace, with much respect to all who planned (Kim, Noah, Dom, etc.) and played.

Maybe Jade will do some heavy editing of their honeymoon tape and get some sweet hand-cam video of all of us shaking booty. Oh, and I'm sorry to that one person whom I accidentally elbowed. Dancing is not without its casualties! Blame Avaris's beer.

Great efforts already in the works from the looks of it. Don't forget to sleep sometime, though.

And I need a hot dog next year.

Posting power go!

- DJ Awesome

- QPA

Amazing power words there, Neo. :) It was a pleasure to meet you in the last minute... but I will always remember you as Sharky... hehehehe Like I told you before, I appreciate everything you did for us. We're praying and relying on God that He will find a way for us to come back for MAGFEST VIII. Hope it happens... bLiNd would really want to do another set... maybe one for 2 hours... ya never know. =P If we do come back, please do hang with us more this time. Peace out!

Just randomly searching for stuff until I stumbled upon this. I didn't know AE had a "rap" persona. Such an awesome performance, man. I've always been impressed by this song 'cause I think it's the fastest one I've ever heard, but you managed to keep up quite well with the lyrics. Love the background chiptune music as well.

EK here, aka the girl in the green jacket running around like crazy all weekend. I was one of the people running Jamspace again this year - particularly the graveyard shift after concerts - and occasionally I'd help out with things in the main concert (like hazard response after the Bondies trashed the place).

I love Magfest. I love the people who come to it, gamers and musicians alike. While I certainly can enjoy the gaming end of things first hand, I don't play a single instrument nor do I write any music. I can play games at home, or with friends at one another's houses, but having the amazing opportunity to see so many talented bands and solo acts play live or showcase their remixes in person is truly a treat for me. It's why I keep coming back year after year.

You guys really make Magfest for me, and for that I want to give you my most sincere thanks. I would gladly drop every other convention that I go to in a year JUST to be at Magfest and see you all - even if it's just for a day.

This year, Dom let me try something a bit different in Jamspace and gave me a two hour block (approximately) for several DJs to spin. Neo really stepped up and took over handling that end of things to make sure that the DJs were ready for me, and Escariot and Dino were both super helpful in making sure that the sound was exactly as it should be for the event. No Carrier was likewise incredibly gracious and agreed to put on more of his visual effects for the whole event. I was hoping that it would be well received. My expectations were all met and exceeded within the first set. As Neo previously posted, she is taking over that aspect of Magfest for next year - and I know that it will be even better in her hands.

Thank you to everyone from here who came out. It has been the highlight of my year, and yes, I know that it's still early January. A special thank you to the rest of the Jamspace staff, to DJs bLiND, No Carrier, Q-PA, and Awesome, and to Neo.

See you next year.

Next year I've got to spend more time in JamSpace. I came in, heard some guy rapping about weaboos and left. I spent most of my time in the game room (being a gamer and not a musician) but it sounds like I missed a lot of good stuff. However, I was so excited to be able to play people besides my friends in fighting games I kind of forgot about it.

Also, I was surprised at how many attractive ladies were at MAGFest. My hat is off to you gamer ladies, who are both nerds and good-looking. Especially that girl who cosplayed as Yuffie.

some guy rapping about weaboos

That dude was fucking hilarious. Busta and I were just cracking up. We started raising the roof and he was like "YEAH" probably because we were the only ones really responding to his music.

The LAST Jamspace guy was the worst though... he played like sunday morning at 3 AM or somesuch... this random goth guy in a fishnet shirt playing probably the shittiest industrial I'd ever heard, and he had this little video thing set up playing horror movies... You'll find his picture next to "pretentious" in the dictionary. He had a keyboard made of duct tape also.

Also, I was surprised at how many attractive ladies were at MAGFest. My hat is off to you gamer ladies, who are both nerds and good-looking. Especially that girl who cosplayed as Yuffie.

I hear someone here managed to get ahold of her shuriken.

...just sayin'.

But anyway, I think the higher number of women at this year's MAGFest is just more evidence of how much it's reaching out to more and more people each year. KF

I hear someone here managed to get ahold of her shuriken.

...just sayin'.

But anyway, I think the higher number of women at this year's MAGFest is just more evidence of how much it's reaching out to more and more people each year. KF

Pretty much there was a girl cosplaying as Amy from SC4, and I don't think she was in the contest, but she was probably the cutest girl I saw all weekend.

Just sayin'.

Wow. Looks like everyone had fun. Glad to see some vids come out.

SERIOUSLY THOUGH LET ME DJ NEXT YEAR.

If you guys liked DJ Awesome, I'll certainly blow the roof off the place.

I TOLD YOU TO GO, AARON! :-P I would really love it if you and Nicole made it out to MAGFEST VIII. bLiNd and I really wouldn't be the only ones anymore from the West coast. After the dj set on Saturday night, bLiNd and I were mentioning how it would be if you played a set.... Holy.... mother... haha Did you get my IM on AIM btw?