VG Frequency: U Love VGM

Liontamer

Should Larry bring back VGF as OCR's podcast?  

235 members have voted

1. 1. Should Larry bring back VGF as OCR's podcast?

• Yes
    • [b][size=7]YES[/size][/b]
    • Larry's merely part of the establishment now (i.e. yes)
    • Yes, as this promotes affirmative action

Great show last weekend, if I may say so myself. Thanks very much to everyone for tuning in, as well as the many callers who livened up the experience. Thanks to Compyfox for providing the MP3 of Trenthian's interview. Anytime you have the after-show, feel free to send it here. I never record those, so it'll be a good bonus!

Thanks to Antonio Pizza for the luck last week as I really needed it badly. I'll need more this week as I start finals, and I wish all you collegiate types out there the best of luck as your spirit is broken by finals. I hope to pick myself back up next week in order to have DCT, Joecam & Koala on the air, and the music will be bueno per the usual.

Be ready for some extra shows this coming Saturday, Sunday & Monday, as I make the push to complete all of my make-up shows and get all of the missed material out there. Here's hoping the webstream stays good. Even if not, I'll be sure to at least have MP3 releases planned.

Enjoy this week's IRC chat transcript as well as the 151MB/3hr40min episode! Here's the playlist:

VG Frequency #43: Verbal Battle 87

Larry Oji - WMRE (Emory University Student Radio; Atlanta, GA)

Saturday, December 4, 2004 / 9:20 PM - 1 AM EST

Liontamer f/D-Lux, Aurora, DarkeSword, Joshua Morse & Trenthian

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Suzumebachi - VG Frequency "One More Time For The Vox" Bumper

2. Yoko Shimomura - "Main Theme" [Parasite Eve OST]

3. Patrick Wagstaff - Final Fantasy 10-2 "Fall - The Memory of Wind" [VGMix2 #2809]

4. DJ Crono - Megaman 3 "Meinde Fik Hunden" [VGMix2 #2839]

5. NoWave - "Mental Transference" [http://www.soundclick.com/nowave]

6. Hiroki Kikuta - "Silence" [soukaigi OST]

7. Reuben Kee - Final Fantasy 7 "Ascension to Cosmo Canyon" [VGMix2 #2747]

8. RushJet1 - "Dementia" [http://www.rushjet1.tk]

9. D-Lux, host of VGM: Very Good Music, calls in for a VERBAL BATTLE! [http://rockbottomdlux.freewebspace.com]

10. Yoko Shimomura - "Across the View" [Parasite Eve OST]

11. Star Salzman - Super Street Fighter 2 "Fei Longer" [VGMix2 #2387 / OC ReMix #1278]

12. The Double Dragons - Super Double Dragon "The Journey's End" [VGMix #2664]

13. Dennis Mott - CastleVania 2 "Cursed Bloodline" [VGMix2 #2811]

14. Homie - Silver Surfer "Norrin Follin" [VGMix2 #2657]

15. Star Salzman - "I Got Balke's Magic Wand" [OneUp Studios Perfect Strangers Remix Competition]

16. Yoko Shimomura - "A Piece Remains" [Parasite Eve OST]

17. Aurora's all about icebreakers, weather balloons, baby seal-eating polar bears, birthday follies sans karoke, and how VGF is the best; she also sheds light on her collaborative efforts so far with The Wingless & SuperGreenX and her hope to provide vocals for a Rayza mix, gives an open call for others to request her vocal talents on new remix projects, and plugs the OCR UnMod Toronto get-together next week [http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umfisico]

18. DarkeSword provides us the status on the Kirby's Adventure Remix Collaboration Project, gives a plug for Moves, shares how laptops and tired professors don't mix, goes over the flurry of tracks he's released this month, mentions DCT getting on virt & TrueStar's bad side, and reacts to Joshua Morse being fired from OneUp Studios [http://www.darkesword.com]

19. Joshua Morse - Megaman 8 "Aquatication" [http://www.joshuamorse.com]

20. Dale North - "Perfectly Strange" [OneUp Studios Perfect Strangers Remix Competition]

21. Disposer - Megaman 8 "Select GEO" [http://www.diggidis.com]

22. Daniel Baranowsky, Vigilante & zykO - Earthworm Jim 2 "Invertebrate Retreat" [OC ReMix #1277 / VGMix2 #2386]

23. Just Us - "Sweet Butterfly" [http://justus.thebigshot.com]

24. Yoko Shimomura - "Force Trail" [Parasite Eve OST]

25. Joshua Morse joins in, and nobody is safe from the "power of the Morse"; Josh goes over the fallout of him being let go from OneUp Studios, the humor of how he ended up offending people on the OneUp boards, the work he wants to do within DCT's new group Urbanizm Music, personalities he doesn't get along with around OneUp, his refusal to submit any more material to OCR, the soon-to-be redesigned JoshuaMorse.com, his overview of the plans for the OneUp Nintendo album and how they fell out of priority for Xenogears Light, rough plans for upcoming remix releases including his dropped Megaman 8 remix project & his intended tracks for the OneUp Nintendo album, thoughts on the splendor of Joecam, and a Chrono Trigger remix with Dale North that's in stasis; "Keep Morse-ing 'em, dawg!" [http://www.joshuamorse.com]

26. Norio "NON" Hanzawa - "John Mk-2" [Rakugaki Showtime OSV]

27. Leif Taylor - "Jacqueline" [http://www.shellshockede.com/leiftaylor]

28. Leif Taylor - "Dramatico" [http://www.shellshockede.com/leiftaylor]

29. Trenthian - "Zelda Reflux Disorder" [OneUp Studios Perfect Strangers Remix Competition]

30. Yoko Shimomura - "Consensus" [Parasite Eve OST]

31. Trenthian is planning on rolling in dough courtesy of winning the OneUp Studios Perfect Strangers Remix Competition; John breaks out the vocal skills, and takes us through the ideas of creating "Zelda Reflux Disorder", how many instruments he plays, details behind his new Suikoden OC ReMix "Cliff the Great Crusader" including Compyfox's production work, how he never wants to and never thinks he will be rejected by the judges' panel, and the low-down on his extensive list of potential upcoming remixes along with original material while incurring the judging wrath of Larry; Trent wraps up by pointing out how Compyfox should indeed get back in the remixing game, closing the book on the OneUp Studios Perfect Strangers Remix Competition, admitting that Protricity, Star Salzman & The Wingless don't like him, expressing his jealousy over missing the OCR West summer trip, and giving Larry a hot request [http://www.soundclick.com/trenthian]

32. Alexander Prievert - Final Fantasy 11 "Eternal Memory" [VGMix2 #2814]

33. Lagerfeldt - Battle Ships "U-64" [R:K:O #2502]

34. Yoko Shimomura - "Under the Progress" [Parasite Eve OST]

35. Kouta Takahashi - "Naked Glow" [R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 OSV]

36. Rellik - "Descent" [Aura & Omen]

37. jdproject - "Down and Around" [Crowd Re-Enactment]

38. Malcos - "Elusive Love" [http://www.malcos.co.uk]

39. Corran - "Thane of Megiddo" [City of the King]

40. MaJIN_SaN & Akitsu - "Miss You Most Baby" [http://www.angelfire.com/magic/muumuu_dashiki.com]

41. Leifo - "Through My Eyes" [http://www.leifo.com]

42. Yoko Shimomura - "Someone Calls Me... Someone Looks for Me..." [Parasite Eve OST]

Best of luck from my side regarding your finals too.

Regarding the aftershow:

I still need to find a middleway how to encode the material in the same quality as you have to offer small filesize MP3s by good quality. Chances are that I encode that material into AAC as it gives me the best results. I'll see what I can do about that.

I can't do much about the overcompressed and distorted right channel though. It's a fault from the RM server. Not to mention that I miss like 3-5 minutes from Joe Cam's call in the aftershow (as I had to save the tempfiles first). But if the listeners can live with that, I'm sure I can throw something together the next days.

Speaking of your "special shows":

Can you tell us "listeners" when exactly they'll be and how long they'll be? Or did I misunderstood something here. ;)

Wish me luck as well...I have final review tonight for my on-air training (although they let me operate the station alone for an hour last week, that was cool, and it's a damn big station as well). Exam is next week...I need a 95% to get on the air or else I have to sit outside until the testing is all over and take it again and then get on the air blah blah blah.

Best of luck from my side regarding your finals too.

Regarding the aftershow:

I still need to find a middleway how to encode the material in the same quality as you have to offer small filesize MP3s by good quality. Chances are that I encode that material into AAC as it gives me the best results. I'll see what I can do about that.

I can't do much about the overcompressed and distorted right channel though. It's a fault from the RM server. Not to mention that I miss like 3-5 minutes from Joe Cam's call in the aftershow (as I had to save the tempfiles first). But if the listeners can live with that, I'm sure I can throw something together the next days.

Speaking of your "special shows":

Can you tell us "listeners" when exactly they'll be and how long they'll be? Or did I misunderstood something here. ;)

I think the special shows are the shows he's still got to catch up on. Maybe I'm misunderstanding though :S

I managed to get a pretty good recording for the VGF#32 aftershow. However, I could only host 10MB of it, so I had to cut it down (that, and my hard drive isn't that big). I encoded @ 96kbps, 44100Hz mp3. It's hosted here if you want to listen to the quality. That to me is more than acceptable. You'd probably be able to do something better with your audio knowledge though :P I'm not sure how much Hz affects file size (Larry uses 24000Hz I believe).

I would ask though that if possible to use mp3 rather than ogg or aac. That way everyone can access it, rather than locking out certain users. aac for me is a particular issue since I don't use iTunes, and my portable DAP doesn't support aac (I do tend to listen to the shows outside rather than at the computer). Likewise, they'll be those who only use iTunes and non-ogg supporting DAPs. Pretty much everything supports mp3.

Actually, just had a listen to your encode, and actually I see what you mean. I think that's because of the amount of people using the stream at the time. I get the stream changing quality quite a lot during the show. Hopefully you'd get a much better stream during the aftershow.

If I'm around for a show, and I get a new hard drive (should be getting a new setup this Christmas), I'll be able to record the aftershow. Hosting however is gonna be another issue.

I managed to get a pretty good recording for the VGF#32 aftershow. However, I could only host 10MB of it, so I had to cut it down (that, and my hard drive isn't that big). I encoded @ 96kbps, 44100Hz mp3. ... You'd probably be able to do something better with your audio knowledge though :P I'm not sure how much Hz affects file size (Larry uses 24000Hz I believe).

Larry uses similar settings in MP3Pro. He is recording in 44kHz and the encoder renders everything else down.

I would ask though that if possible to use mp3 rather than ogg or aac. That way everyone can access it, rather than locking out certain users. aac for me is a particular issue since I don't use iTunes, and my portable DAP doesn't support aac (I do tend to listen to the shows outside rather than at the computer). Likewise, they'll be those who only use iTunes and non-ogg supporting DAPs. Pretty much everything supports mp3.

Well... I thought of AAC because it's MP4 audio and uses less space than a MP3 by very good quality. You don't need iTunes to listen to them as there're enough AAC decoders are out there (i.e. Winamp and stuff). But I have to agree with you. MP3 is still the most used data format and 95% of all players (including PDAs) can only play MP3, sometimes OGG and very rarely AAC (unless it's an iPod or you have luck to get an AAC player for your Palm OS).

I'll see what I can do about that.

Actually, just had a listen to your encode, and actually I see what you mean. I think that's because of the amount of people using the stream at the time. I get the stream changing quality quite a lot during the show. Hopefully you'd get a much better stream during the aftershow.

Well I have DSL with 2Mbit stream aviable. So I have no fluctuations in the stream (sometimes it cuts off though). So that's not the main problem. The problem lies within the WMRE stream server itself and the radiostation pushing too much power out. This results in massive distortion. Not to mention that RM renders down the frequency from the beginning to offer a good and synched video and audio stream.

Larry is actually working on that problem too. But he can't promise anything. He would prefer a clean stream too. But it seems that the server is borked in a kind of way and the errors weren't found yet.

If I'm around for a show, and I get a new hard drive (should be getting a new setup this Christmas), I'll be able to record the aftershow. Hosting however is gonna be another issue.

Well recording is not a problem for me. My studio waveeditor has a nice "auto record" function. It's just the problem with the messed up stream and the filtering of the files that make a lot of work.

But I'm already on the way to find a good balance. ;)

Hey, bros! Compyfox gave me permission to link to a hosted copy of the VGF43 Aftershow (1hr36min/66.2MB). Be sure to check it out for fun with Joecam and crew including lots of good (and bad) tracks, and make sure to tune in next week for more Joecam goodness as he comes on the air for an interview. Thanks a lot to Roland for recording the aftershow, doing a great job of mastering it and hosting for the peeps!

Just to push this thread a bit and also give some informations:

Larry's planning two shows this saturday. A regular one inlcuding interviews with Joe Camisia (JoeCam) and DCT, and an additional show sometime between saturday afternoon and early evening (before the regular show). So please stay tuned. ;)

An MP3 from todays (friday) show will be aviable within the next days or so. No aftershow this time.

Don't forget DCT & Joecam on VGF later tonight!

VGF #36 generally covers the goings on from Oct. 10th to the 16th. Hit the playlist at my Ormgas.com forum and leave comments. Download it (84.7MB/2hr3min) at my webspace for a very limited time, along with picking up the chat transcript.

VG Frequency #36: Unsurpassed Efficacy

Larry Oji - WMRE (Emory University Student Radio; Atlanta, GA)

Friday, December 10, 2004 / 4 - 6:03 PM EST

Liontamer

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. OverCoat - VG Frequency "Ruuski Ragtime" Bumper

2. Takayuki Iwai - "Who'll Be Your Double?" [street Fighter Zero 3 OST]

3. Ziwtra - Terranigma "Blue (Shooting Star Mix)" [OC ReMix #1251]

4. Strike911 - "Deep Neo-Celtic" [http://www.musicv2.com/artist/strike911]

5. OverCoat - VG Frequency "You're A Freq" Bumper

6. OverCoat - Deus Ex "Technical" [VGMix2 #2500]

7. Isao Abe - "Shining One" [street Fighter Zero 3 OST]

8. Sefiros - Silent Hill 4 "16121" [VGMix2 #2355]

9. Quinn Fox - NiGHTS into Dreams... "Somewhat Beautiful" [VGMix2 #2487]

10. Christian Pacaud - Final Fantasy 6 "The White Knight" [VGMix2 #2473]

11. Takayuki Iwai - "Wild Nature" [street Fighter Zero 3 OST]

12. zykO - "see you cry (that's why)" [bipolar me]

13. Corran - Super Mario RPG "Trance Forest Maze" [VGMix2 #2430]

14. ParagonX9 - Super Mario 64 "The Alternate Route" [OC ReMix #1252]

15. Yuki Iwai - "No More Swingin'" [street Fighter Zero 3 OST]

16. zircon - "Righteous Fury" [illusion OST]

17. OverCoat - VG Frequency "Sucka DJ" Bumper

18. Gecko Yamori - Sonic CD (Japan) "Work It (RetroHouse Mix)" [VGMix2 #2502]

19. JD Harding - Super CastleVania 4 "Simon" [VGMix2 #2453]

20. Alexander Prievert - Unreal "Stratosphere" [VGMix2 #2491]

21. Yuki Iwai - "Crimson" [street Fighter Zero 3 OST]

22. Kadmium - Donkey Kong Country 2 "No More Roses" [VGMix2 #2470]

23. CarboHydroM - Final Fantasy 7 "Fight On [VGMix2 #2025 / OC ReMix #1253]

24. OverCoat - VG Frequency "¡Olé! ¿Spanish?" Bumper

25. zykO - "remember me tommorow" [bipolar me]

26. Hideki Okugawa - "High-Tech" [street Fighter Zero 3 OST]

27. OverCoat - VG Frequency "Pantsu" Bumper

28. Goemon Production Team - "Goe Goe Spark (Musical Castle Last Half)" [Ganbare Goemon ~ New Dance of the Momoyama Shogunate OST]

29. Rie Akagi - Genso Suikoden 1 "Avertuneiro Antes Lance Mao ~The Battle Has Ended~" [Genso Suikoden Ongakushu Produced by Kentaro Haneda AST]

30. Michiel Van Den Bos - "UNATCO" [Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition OST]

31. Isao Abe - "Active Red" [street Fighter Zero 3 OST]

32. Rayza - Street Fighter 2 "Club Del Toro" [OC ReMix #1254]

33. Palpable - Legend of the Mystical Ninja "Oedo Hop" [OC Remix #1255]

34. Adhesive Boy - Donkey Kong Country 1 "Cry of the Chasmal Critter Chain" [Kong in Concert / VGMix2 #2265 / OC ReMix #1256]

35. Takayuki Iwai - "Daybreak" [street Fighter Zero 3 OST]