The Old Fogies From UnMod Thread

Bagel Fuzzynuts

Lol just found this screenshot I took from the good ol unmod days.   Also randomly reminds me that I even began using firefox because of an ocr thread and still do to this day (probably even long before this -- this was early 2007 I think.)  I remember back when firefox came out and it was a big deal and tabbed browsing was a huge breakthrough. I always wondered what it was going to be like when us internet generation folks got older -- how could stuff on the internet seem old?pplpssd.thumb.jpg.a0a0d635120646cbc8abf3d74f9d5b0b.jpg

We still don't have this though so tech hasn't really progressed much

vs-image-geek-full-001.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/21/2023 at 4:59 AM, Atomicfog said:

Lol just found this screenshot I took from the good ol unmod days.   Also randomly reminds me that I even began using firefox because of an ocr thread and still do to this day (probably even long before this -- this was early 2007 I think.)  I remember back when firefox came out and it was a big deal and tabbed browsing was a huge breakthrough. I always wondered what it was going to be like when us internet generation folks got older -- how could stuff on the internet seem old?pplpssd.thumb.jpg.a0a0d635120646cbc8abf3d74f9d5b0b.jpg

We still don't have this though so tech hasn't really progressed much

vs-image-geek-full-001.jpg

Fuck, forums were so ugly back then.  Might as well been hosted on geocities.

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2023 at 8:53 PM, EdgeCrusher said:

Fuck, forums were so ugly back then.  Might as well been hosted on geocities.

Good to see ya!  Personally I think it looks endearing now (I thought it looked super modern back then, especially compared to what came before it lol.)  I'd personally delete discord and social media from history and have them look like that to have forums back in style. Or perhaps just to go back in time to when they were. Remember when join date and post count were the ultimate status symbols? lol. That part was a bit silly, but still way better than modern social media.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is probably most relevant to the Unmod folks, so I guess I'll put it here. I've archived the Off-Topic forum, as the forums themselves have been pretty sleepy as a discussion space over the past few years; most of the forum activity happens in the Workshop sections. I don't feel like we particularly need a separate space for something as nebulous as "off-topic" anymore, so it's been moved to a read-only state.

8 hours ago, DarkeSword said:

It was extremely weird and, TBH cringey, how tribal people got about that shit back then.

Oh yeah, looking back I would definitely agree, though it was entertaining at the time.  It was basically a group of teenage edgelords, prehipsters, neckbeards, and weebs.  Anyone who had been there awhile would act like you just stumbled upon the roughest and coolest corner of the internet that you weren't prepared for if you just innocuously came here to talk about video games and remixes, lol.  But being an edgy teenager at the time it definitely had its charm and appeal.  I'd always be excited to get home from school to see what kind of silly stuff or drama was going on lol.  I imagine social psychologists could have had a pretty interesting case study on their hands with unmod.

I think it was mostly the fact that the whole era was also when the internet was shifting from being something for "nerds" (for lack of a better word) to being part of regular life. For some of us older folks, we saw a lot of things changing, and unmod was basically a spot where we settled to be dumb on the internet. Also I think a lot of people were trying to figure out this internet thing. (And I know in my case I was dealing with a lot of personal shit and being here was pure escapism from reality.)

But in the end, I think a lot of the tribalism was in jest in actuality. We could turn from being trolls to being supportive people in about half a second. To me, unmod will always remain a fond moment in time.

But yeah, we were hella cringey too.

11 minutes ago, The Author said:

But in the end, I think a lot of the tribalism was in jest in actuality. We could turn from being trolls to being supportive people in about half a second. To me, unmod will always remain a fond moment in time.

Saw plenty of instances back in the day where the tribalism was real. People got super weird about unmod vs. gendisc stuff.

1 hour ago, The Author said:

I think it was mostly the fact that the whole era was also when the internet was shifting from being something for "nerds" (for lack of a better word) to being part of regular life. For some of us older folks, we saw a lot of things changing, and unmod was basically a spot where we settled to be dumb on the internet. Also I think a lot of people were trying to figure out this internet thing. (And I know in my case I was dealing with a lot of personal shit and being here was pure escapism from reality.)

But yeah, we were hella cringey too.

That's funny you mention that, as I don't recall ever thinking of the internet as a place for nerds.  Maybe because I was a nerd at the time xD But that's probably very true.  I suppose either way OCR was a place for video game 'nerds' for sure though.  I know I was the only person at my school walking around with an mp3 player that held like 30 songs and most of them were video game remixes. 

But yeah, I think most of the people around their early 20s in the golden era of unmod were probably considered a legend by everyone like AD lol.  Now looking back and seeing that it's pretty hilarious though they had some wisdom you definitely weren't getting anywhere else on occasion.  As well as lots of bad advice xD I'd take that transitory period over modern social media any day of the week though.

We didn't even have Youtube for some of that time, and actually it's pretty funny because I'm pretty sure learned of youtube through unmod and/or ocr.  Definitely makes one feel old knowing unmod was deleted, I believe, before chocolate rain came out, because Im pretty sure I remember that being super hype, but in offtopic after the dust settled.  

It was definitely a mematic culture.  I'd say in general people liked to troll gen discers like they unwittingly walked into a biker bar or something. But as for the tribalism, I'd say maybe that showed up more whenever mods would actually come into unmod, and probably came from whatever toxic mf'rs were leading the dance at the time.  Then a bunch of other members would just get on board for the drama.  I think a lot of the people in unmod didn't even recall that they were on someone else website and forums lol.  

25ug4.jpg

Edited by Atomicfog

• 2 weeks later...

Those were all made back in the later 2000s (I want to say 2008/2009-ish... somewhere in there). Those badges started being used on forums around The Web, and they eventually became popular in UnMod for a while. I made a bunch of them for people who asked to have a badge made for them. There were other people making them as well, so it wasn't just me, but I made a something like over 150 I believe.