Composer looking for games will work for free

SHIBbYinc

I think the language you used really threw people off, here. 'Work for free' is something I don't think you'd be willing to do (you damn well better not, anyway :?)... 'Help someone out on a free project' is probably more on the lines of what you want to say, and is probably what your music is best suited for, at the moment (everyone needs a place to break through - I believe that's what your looking for, here). Again, I don't know if the OCR forums are the right place to look, but I gave some suggestions of other places to showcase your skill and make that request (and you do have talent to showcase, so that's a good start, there). If you want to write music for free, well you're in the right place - we always have something going on here (contests and such), and we're always willing to help you out with criticism if you'd like.

I like your stuff, though - at least what you posted. I'd critique it but I don't want to fill Community with that gibberish (just the gibberish that I have, already :tomatoface:).

But it doesn't have to.

Well, I was joking, but let's run the numbers:

- FL Studio 8 with Soundfont player:

$240 IIRC

- High Quality VSTs:

Lets simplify and just say SampleTank 2:

$200

- Computer capable of running all that competently:

$600 Custom made Prophet of Mephisto (and thats still a hell of a deal :)

This is what it would take for a brand new person to contribute something that would be even close to passing the judge's panel. I'm not digging on quality submission standards, I'm just saying, roughly, those are the numbers.

I don't even want to think about what it might cost to do it live with a quality guitar/piano, mixing board, microphone, sound editing software, etc.

Well, that wasn't bad :)

Again, I don't know if the OCR forums are the right place to look, but I gave some suggestions of other places to showcase your skill and make that request (and you do have talent to showcase, so that's a good start, there). If you want to write music for free, well you're in the right place - we always have something going on here (contests and such), and we're always willing to help you out with criticism if you'd like.

I frequently read/hear that building a portfolio is a good idea to showcase talents etc. for jobs/work in the arts. Making remixes along with original work may be a good way to do so.. maybe. And there are lots of people here who can give good criticism concerning production/mastering, which you can take with you when you make your own original compositions.

oh, and.. tell us if you do find some project eh?

Edit: have you seen this thread? http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23481

Well, I was joking, but let's run the numbers:

###

This is what it would take for a brand new person to contribute something that would be even close to passing the judge's panel.

Heh, not true, dude. Look at mister Heineken on the front page, there - Beer bottles and Audacity could accomplish that (and I'm sure SHIBbYinc has a computer - unless he's posting here psychically 8O)... free software, some decent mics (~100 - 200$ is sufficient, probably less) and some decent beer (~40$ worth). Pretty cheap, in my opinion; it just took a shitload of creativity.

Heh, not true, dude. Look at mister Heineken on the front page, there - Beer bottles and Audacity could accomplish that (and I'm sure SHIBbYinc has a computer - unless he's posting here psychically 8O)... free software, some decent mics (~100 - 200$ is sufficient, probably less) and some decent beer (~40$ worth). Pretty cheap, in my opinion; it just took a shitload of creativity.

So you're suggesting a brand new wave of beer bottle music? I'm not saying awesome music can't be done cheap, I'm saying cheap music isn't always awesome. Not everyone can play a beer bottle.

Besides, I've only known two free VSTs that didn't waste my time, and one of them is buggy as hell. And I've only known the Korg Part A-E series of soundfonts to actually be worthwhile to compose with for serious tracks.

Not everyone can play a beer bottle.

Alright, fair point. I personally believe, however, that the samples are only 10% of the music - the other 90% comes from the composing, mixing and mastering which can be accomplished without any extra cost.

Besides, he's playing live so the samples are not as much of an issue (at least not the guitar sample). I think Zircon wrote a thread on how to write music cheap (or at least within certain budgets), so it's not impossible.

Alright, fair point. I personally believe, however, that the samples are only 10% of the music - the other 90% comes from the composing, mixing and mastering which can be accomplished without any extra cost.

Except music classes, books, CDs, portable players, sheet music and hiring professional help when you find out you suck. :P

Besides, he's playing live so the samples are not as much of an issue (at least not the guitar sample). I think Zircon wrote a thread on how to write music cheap (or at least within certain budgets), so it's not impossible.

You don't really need to have professional help so much as have the drive to know the answers that you seek. I mean, I learned pro tools by myself (not saying that it was easy, I have sworn religiously at my computer more than a couple of times.) God bless the internet and her millions of questions answered daily. Oh! tell me what you guys think of this next one coming up!

I never said it was impossible, Im using my own experience at trying to learn without spending. It exasperates the process lke 3 times over.

I can actually get on board with this statement. It feels like the biggest reason why I can't create quality music recordings is because of monetary limitations. I know how to use protools, MIDI sequencers and all other kinds of DAWs... I know all about signal flow and mic placement... but I can't execute these skills without the proper equipment, which I really can't afford right now. I've got an ancient laptop, and whenever I try to do any kind of recording on it, I spend hours troubleshooting only to get something that is barely worth listening to.

You don't really need to have professional help so much as have the drive to know the answers that you seek.

And actually be able to find them, which means either wasting your life on music forums where veterans talk way, way above you or way below you and always missing the mark completely on your obstacle, or getting your masters in music. :)

Oh! tell me what you guys think of this next one coming up!

Dude! This kicks ass! This is the best f'n song I've never heard! Awesome!

:P I'm just having some fun with you and the way you word things.

I was very surprised by the acoustic guitar, so now I <3 you. It's short and stuff, but w/e, it's still sweet.

I would say though, that to me, the song evokes more of a "this character just died and all the other dudes are reflecting on his/her death while standing at the grave in a village and trying to figure out to do next..." feeling

I am a sucker for acoustic guitar, so happy day. Any advice from expert me would be, better recording quality and mixing, the end!

Except music classes, books, CDs, portable players, sheet music and hiring professional help when you find out you suck. :P

*looks over student loans*

... Damnit, I'll concede to that.

I never said it was impossible, Im using my own experience at trying to learn without spending. It exasperates the process lke 3 times over.

Yes, without the money it does make the process take longer, that's for sure. I've only got a computer and Reason to work with, at the moment, and I admit it's tough not having everything you need at your disposal. He seems to have the determination for it, though, so I suppose he's on the right path.

:) lol Yeah I have spent a shit ton of time on the internet finding answers But, I also am in the studio right now with my band recording an album. So I am learning more about pro tools just watching the guy record, mix and master our songs. So I must concede you must spend money to do this.... :(

This latest one has a nice atmosphere, but is rather repetative and doesn't do a whole lot of developing. It feels like it's looped over and over again.

Actually, I think the mixing is a key problem. The base melody on the harp-like instrument is placed too closely in the foreground, while the more varied and expressive organ melody is placed behind most of the rest of the instruments. If the two tracks were switched in their placement (EQ-wise), then I think all the rich undertones and subtle expressions would rise up to the foreground. I can hear them, but not clearly enough.

Also, please don't work for free. That makes it extremely difficult for those of us that would eventually like to make a living off of composing...
remixes are hobbies. work is work. if people work for free, then people who need money for their work get undercut.

I don't like this attitude, not in a field like this anyway. If you wanna make a living making VGM, you should be so good that people working for free shouldn't give you any lower chances to get work. Developer's who'll hire a guy that works for free probably didn't have the skills/money to pay you anyway. He's just trying to get experience so that he CAN get paid for work eventually..

Seriously, and I think this is cool to repeat yet again, if you're planning on being a full-time VGM composer your skills should be so dope that a guy like this shouldn't bother you. I mean, since this is your job you should be worth paying for, right?

People should be encouraged to be creative and do some free projects, not discouraged D:

I agree with Abadoss and Ifirit with their comments on the music, but it isn't bad, either...

Here's a real test - try making something on-demand for someone. That's actually a more realistic scenario to prove your mettle. For example...

Genre - Platformer

Setting - The first stage : the military protagonist is trying to infiltrate a Vietnamese camp during Vietnam. It's located in a heavy jungle setting, but it's not about open combat - it's more about trying to infiltrate the camp while attracting as little attention as possible.

I've noticed that the two songs you've put up here are more for a medieval JRPG style game. Of course, that's not a bad thing - but I want to see something from a different genre and setting come out of you. Being able to do a variety of genres and styles will make you more flexible and able to take many different jobs that may be available for you...

...and seriously, I want to hear your music for that setting :-o.

Genre - Platformer

Setting - The first stage : the military protagonist is trying to infiltrate a Vietnamese camp during Vietnam. It's located in a heavy jungle setting, but it's not about open combat - it's more about trying to infiltrate the camp while attracting as little attention as possible.

Isn't that Metal Gear or, at least, Snake's Revenge?