OCR01873 - Marathon "The Forerunner Mix (Gamma)"

djpretzel

A+ Must listen. This sound track has great emotions not only from the begining but also in the end. For some reason when I play this a few times, it has a xeno gears familiarity, I might be wrong but who knows.

:puppyeyes: I love it, easy beats, energtic yet calming, smooth and excellent follow through. :puppyeyes:

Flowers in Heaven was a track I was thinking about remixing. Now I'm not in a hurry to do so. :D

What happened at 1:22? Feels like ending a sentence in ALLCAPS AND THEN FORGETTING PUNCTUATION not really the smoothest transition. Overall the soundscape makes up for it. Not as good as Alpha and Beta, but it has an epic soundtrack feel, perhaps more a movie score feel than the other two as they are written and mixed to be more foreground music while this is more ambient, more background. Like most parts of a movie score. And that's not a bad thing. :D

I am so so glad Larry convinced me to pass this one in the end. The first two Forerunner mixes were heavenly, and this is a great follow-up. I agree with Rozo that it's even more ambient, more soundtrack-y, but that allows Nick to take some stylistic differences. Nick uses such a high level of detail in these mixes, I could listen to them hundreds of times without getting bored.

rozo- it should inspire you to make your own mix, not the opposite!

Sorry to those who thought it was a bit too loosely related to the source material. I see your point, it's a bit muddy and a bit abstract, but I sent the mix to Alex Seropian a while ago and he said it made him all nostalgic, so it can't be that far off! :-P

I guess it works best as a 'mood' piece, attempting to capture the atmosphere of those games rather than faithfully reproducing the actual musical content. That's my excuse anyway!

I absolutely love Alpha and Beta, and Gamma did not disappoint. Just as ambient, just as deep and powerful, with a wealth of elements that complement rather than muddle each other.

And I, for one, was not bothered at all by the purportedly liberal handling of the sources...because I've never heard the sources .(Yes, I'm the only one in the world who hasn't played Halo. Go on and shun me.)

Well, to be honest I haven't listened to it yet, but I am posting this reply because someone at halo.bungie.org liked it enough to make a news post about it...

Granted, they post news about everything Halo (and by extension Bungie) related, but if it means more exposure for OCR, that's a good thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This one ain't bad. The intro/buildup didn't feel very interesting to me aside from the percussion, which picked up eventually. The mix felt like it should be building up to something more climactic and there were a few times you started to touch on it, but it never really happened for me :-(

The sounds and production are wonderful and there's a few interesting moments, but personally I feel like this was leading up to something that never came.

• 4 months later...

Nick this was amazing. I downloaded all three of the mixes and mashed them all together to make one song. I called it The Forerunner Triumverate. Oh nonoononoo I dont take the credit!!! It all goes to you. I just mashed them together is all! X)

Wow, not sure how I missed reviewing this one when it first came out.. My faux pas.. ;_;

This is really just super atmosphere and texture, and though there aren't any melodic hooks that really draw me in, the soundscape presented is very compelling. I really like the percussion with the super-treated snares, and though this wouldn't be something i'd rock out to frequently, it provides an excellent mood, and some beautiful progressions. It's almost like electronic new age. Thumbs up!

• 8 months later...
I absolutely love Alpha and Beta, and Gamma did not disappoint. Just as ambient, just as deep and powerful, with a wealth of elements that complement rather than muddle each other.

And I, for one, was not bothered at all by the purportedly liberal handling of the sources...because I've never heard the sources .(Yes, I'm the only one in the world who hasn't played Halo. Go on and shun me.)

Nope, I haven't played it either. I actually don't like war/first person shooters like that. But soundtracks are something completly different! Love this one!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01873 - Marathon "The Forerunner Mix (Gamma)"