VGMix Revival

Latency

I like pie. And I like remixes. And I like you, too.

The point here is that regardless of who or what did stuff when, the VGMix we remember is gone and that's something that, from the interest expressed by people in this thread thus-far, is something that needs changing. I'm not saying there aren't already a number of other quality sites for remixes, but the point of all this is that a) there is a demand for a site that ran similar to how VGMix2 did things B) there has been a lack of activity and progress towards reaching that goal as of the last few...years [not placing blame, just the fact-of-the-matter] and c) there is now some effort to change that, and some folks asking for possible help.

I definitely hope you get virt on-board at some point (or at the very least get ahold of him!), and that all your effort will pay-off as it seems like many would be thankful for it.

I agree that there is a need/want for a VGMix-like site because it really complimented OCR. Sure it acted sometimes as a "WIP" ground but there were also some people who almost exclusively posted there (like me). Personally, I think the best way to approach this would be to code up something as close to VGMix2 as possible (without the vulnerabilities) and send it to virt and see what happens. If he is on board then maybe that can be tweaked to be a replacement (or VGMix3 itself) and we can all have VGMix back.

if you know anything about coding websites, you'd know why it's been so many years and no one has touched the damn site. if you want to get into deim0s's code, i'm sure virt'd send it to you as a joke. that shit was horrid.

the main reason vgmix hasn't done a thing in the last several years is because no one has done anything. virt's busy, sure, but it's been years since vgmix was hacked. if he and his crew actually cared enough to get it up and running instead of the kludge that's up now, it'd be up and running. that's what it comes down to. he's content with the 'norm', and so as a result nothing's been done.

if you know anything about coding websites, you'd know why it's been so many years and no one has touched the damn site. if you want to get into deim0s's code, i'm sure virt'd send it to you as a joke. that shit was horrid.

the main reason vgmix hasn't done a thing in the last several years is because no one has done anything. virt's busy, sure, but it's been years since vgmix was hacked. if he and his crew actually cared enough to get it up and running instead of the kludge that's up now, it'd be up and running. that's what it comes down to. he's content with the 'norm', and so as a result nothing's been done.

I don't know about 'content', but virt is just a really busy guy - even his presence online is pretty infrequent.

• 1 month later...

I've also felt the need for a site with the same functionality as vgmix, so I've created a revival of my own. http://remixed.vg is a project I've been working on to hopefully fill the void. I take feature suggestions and I'm working through a list of obvious features that need to be implemented. The site is still very much in development and I'm adding features all the time.

As for web programming, Latency is right. vgmix could be entirely recreated in about a month by someone who understands MVC development from the ground up. Web security has also come a long way since 2003 and is very well documented.

I used to visit vgmix to listen to everyones remixes back in the day when I was in middle/high school.

The next thing I knew the site went bad. I had tons of remixes but now I only have most of the stuff of legends and megaman remixes. If there is anything I can do to help I will, I still lack experience but I know I understand database design and oracle if that helps. But I think it would be best to start over from scratch and build some type of layout of design. Sometimes its just a bitch to build on top of something thats unstable.

Been way too long without VGMIX, I remember checking the site daily for any new tunes. Just to help get by the day, or even night (like OCR here)

Seems like a lot of our old friends have come and gone (or super busy).

I do hope that 2.0 turns out great.

I've also felt the need for a site with the same functionality as vgmix, so I've created a revival of my own. http://remixed.vg is a project I've been working on to hopefully fill the void. I take feature suggestions and I'm working through a list of obvious features that need to be implemented. The site is still very much in development and I'm adding features all the time.

This actually looks pretty nice. I think the vgm scene does need something like the old vgmix. OCR isn't everyone's cup of tea, and it doesn't accept a few things that I would like to hear (mainly 20 minute prog epics/covers :P).

I like the look of this set up so far, hope it starts to grow!

Do we really need yet another remix website? You've heard of http://www.remixsite.org/ I assume, right?

I actually hadn't seen this, but it seems to be another different concept anyway as there is a lot of original music hosted there as well as remixes. there are a lot of remix sites but it's not that they're entirely redundant, they are all different...nothing has really filled the void left by vgmix and maybe nothing can, even a very similar website would be different depending on its users. you may be right, perhaps you just get farther away from that the more people try and everything not-OCR just gets more splintered

As for web programming, Latency is right. vgmix could be entirely recreated in about a month by someone who understands MVC development from the ground up. Web security has also come a long way since 2003 and is very well documented.

This looks pretty cool. Is there any chance for any kind of WIP feature like VGMix had? I miss that about VG Mix.

This looks pretty cool. Is there any chance for any kind of WIP feature like VGMix had? I miss that about VG Mix.

Sure. I'm currently working on integrating the forums first, because registering twice is annoying. Then rss feeds, id3 tag search, and I guess WIPs, because everyone seems to want it.

Yeah, damn Virt for becoming successful and being too busy with his own life to dink with finishing VGMix 3.

Seriously though, I'm surprised nobody from his team stepped up and took the reigns, or that Virt didn't try passing it on to someone else to take over. If enough people got involved, it could be finished before too long, I'm sure.

Yeah, damn Virt for becoming successful and being too busy with his own life to dink with finishing VGMix 3.

Seriously though, I'm surprised nobody from his team stepped up and took the reigns, or that Virt didn't try passing it on to someone else to take over. If enough people got involved, it could be finished before too long, I'm sure.

If I recall, I believe the reason virt hasn't passed on the torch to someone else is that he's still rather attached to the site and has plans for it. It's just that those plans aren't getting implemented due to his schedule.

The sad truth is that on the panel we had to frequently turn away remixes that were indeed good, but either

a) not exceptional or

B) not to the quality of our standards or

c) not conforming to our definition of a remix

So I do think the community has room for more remix sites. But what I don't think benefits the community are more OCR-style or VGMix-style sites. Offer something unique, please! Personally, I'd like to see more sites that carve out a niche for themselves, whether it be by system (like RKO), by genre or even by game series. Whatever happens to strike the passion of those so eager to create a remix site.

My 0.0134366€.

If I recall, I believe the reason virt hasn't passed on the torch to someone else is that he's still rather attached to the site and has plans for it. It's just that those plans aren't getting implemented due to his schedule.

So have a site half-done for years and not letting someone else step in (even temporarily) just to get the ball moving again is so hard a concept? I totally get that VGMix is his baby and he wants freedom to do what he wants, but the current product is that what is done is left to stagnate.

I know...you can't blame the guy for having an idea, trying to get it done, and halfway through the opportunity for greatness in the form of composing popular mainstream game soundtracks knocks on the door that he would have been stupid to walk away from. My reasoning is that he's gotta realize with his current schedule, that the site will never get done if he doesn't have others come in and work on it in his stead. So, while he might not be working on it directly and that might take a bit of the joy away, at least the site would be finished with all the grand ideas they originally had for his version. (there was a lot too, if I remember correctly) It's not like it wouldn't be his site anymore, either. If the plans and ideas were his, and he has them all drawn up and just doesn't have the time to code them, it's still his stuff....just with another person's manpower helping out.

I've finished integrating the forum. Anyone who signs up will have access to the forum automatically. You can go there to reports bugs (there might be some, it was kind of complicated), or request features. I've still got those other features in development, and I've thought of a few that were on vgmix that I could throw up there, like showing all the users that are currently online.