I'm Issac

Zipp

One of my side jobs is being a nude model for the art institutions around town. I happened to model last year for the guy who did the cover for Dead Space II.

I just found out he used my pose for the cover. So, yeah... that's me on the cover, more or less.

Pics of the cover? I don't think they've been released yet. But it's a very active pose, kind've a leaner with one hand to the side curled up and the other extended which I bet he'll end putting a gun or something in. He's good. I only held the pose for about 5 minutes, but he got the whole damn thing down.

And yes, nude modeling pays well. $60 an hour.

Perhaps a dumb question: why do they need nude models to draw a dude wearing a full-body space suit MacGyvered into anti-space-zombie armor?

I mean, even before they started bolting random bits of metal to it, it wasn't like it was skin tight.

Well, it would be incredibly expensive to buy a model all that armour or something that looked good enough to pass as that armour. Better is to just draw a nude model, get the basic pose down, and then cover it in clothing. Like I said, I only did the pose for 5 minutes and wasn't even aware that it would be used for the cover until later when he said he ended up using it.

Character Artists tend to keep big books full of various poses they've sketched that they think are cool or might be useful. Some of them get used, others collect dust... but still look damn cool.

As for getting into modeling, my advice is to start walking around naked inside universities.

Well, it would be incredibly expensive to buy a model all that armour or something that looked good enough to pass as that armour. Better is to just draw a nude model, get the basic pose down, and then cover it in clothing.

Well, sure, but why a nude model specifically? I mean, I get the fact that artists use nude models for accurate anatomy and whatnot, but it seems like the "wearing a zombie-armored spacesuit" thing would sort of obscure the details that nude modeling is supposed to be for.

Well, sure, but why a nude model specifically? I mean, I get the fact that artists use nude models for accurate anatomy and whatnot, but it seems like the "wearing a zombie-armored spacesuit" thing would sort of obscure the details that nude modeling is supposed to be for.

Because it's just easier and more flexible for the artist to work with a nude model than one wearing clothing. He mentioned that it only took a few minutes, meaning it was merely a sketch, meaning the artist most likely didn't put all those details into it. It's easier to capture the pose of a person wearing nothing than it is to capture the pose of a person in jeans and a baggy t-shirt because you know where their body is. With baggy clothing, it's harder to see the person underneath. Also, as was stated, artists tend to keep poses that they can reference. The guy probably didn't even know what he'd use the pose for when he sketched him.

Also, congratulations, Zipp!

wow, models at my uni get about half of that.

maybe you have to thank american prudery for a less crowded market ;)

My roommate does 3 hour sessions for $50 a pop, but that's admittedly a lower rate in comparison to other places in the city. $60/hour sounds awesome though.

Also; I've done it for free for a friend to help him finish his portfolio. Good times.

Because it's just easier and more flexible for the artist to work with a nude model than one wearing clothing. He mentioned that it only took a few minutes, meaning it was merely a sketch, meaning the artist most likely didn't put all those details into it. It's easier to capture the pose of a person wearing nothing than it is to capture the pose of a person in jeans and a baggy t-shirt because you know where their body is. With baggy clothing, it's harder to see the person underneath. Also, as was stated, artists tend to keep poses that they can reference. The guy probably didn't even know what he'd use the pose for when he sketched him.

Also, congratulations, Zipp!

Thank you!

Also, yes, your explanation is exactly right and well stated besides.

I feel like a bit of a tool telling you his name is spelled "Isaac," but if you're going around telling everyone, you'd probably want to spell it right so they'll believe you.

I appreciate it, actually. Maybe not enough to go back and change every instance of it, but enough to spell it correctly from now on.