Wii RPGs - Xenoblade and Last Story

Thalzon

These were formally announced yesterday. Xenoblade was originally called Monado: Beginning of the World, and is being developed by Monolithsoft... Which means it is likely a continuation of the Xeno-series of games.

Last Story, meanwhile, is an RPG in development by Mistwalker, Hironobu Sakaguchi's new Microsoft-funded dev team that released Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey for the 360 a little while back.

Both games have websites with absolutely nothing on them save their title, background art, and some sappy piano tune.

Xenoblade site: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/sx4j/index.html

Last Story site: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/slsj/index.html

Also, feel free to talk about the other JRPGs for Wii soon to be released, like Graces, Arc Rise, etc... Or RPGs already released, like Opoona.

I've known Xenoblade was in development since it was announced(I think either E3 or TGS last year), although I really preferred Monado: Beginning of The World as the name. I don't know that it will actually be a part of the Xeno series, but if it IS intended to be a new entry in the series, here's hoping it doesn't follow the same path as the Xenosaga Trilogy, I.E. boring as a rock combat with bad pacing, drab level design, and 30-minute long(although very pretty and interesting) cutscenes. Also please don't use the same voice actors as Xenosaga Ep. II if English dub is a must.

I'm always interested about whatever projects Mist Walker is handling at the outset of development, so I'll be looking at The Last Story with interest, however I do hope they give it a proper name change instead of keeping the synonym to Final Fantasy. Then there's the fact that Hironobu Sakaguchi hasn't done much at all to keep me interested in either the Blue Dragon series or Lost Odyssey, being that they were so damned vanilla in their execution, so I can't say that I have more than cautious optimism.

At any rate, hurray! More RPGs for the Wii.

It's probably best to call Fragile a straight up adventure game with a pretty depressing and dreary setting. I'm pretty excited about it myself.

And I've heard of Monster Hunter for years, although I don't know that much about it. I'm interested in the Wii version, but could somebody give me the gist of what this MMO crack is?

It's not really an MMO.

The basic idea is that you create a hunter (create the look, pick weapon specialties, etc.) and take on contracts to hunt down giant monsters. Different weapon specialties lead to different play styles, and there's also tons of traps and bait you can use against your prey.

The real draw (for the PSP series) is the co-op multiplayer. I've never gotten a chance to do it myself (I have Freedom 2 for PSP), but co-op multiplayer in Monster Hunter is apparently very, very good, because it really forces you to work together to succeed.

Monster Hunter is massively popular over in Japan, and is one of the big reasons that PSP is still a popular system over there. It's one of the system's "killer apps." The formula for the game is so successful that Capcom is basically replicating it in Lost Planet 2.

I'm definitely planning on getting Tri, even though I'm kind of bad at Freedom 2 (though that's largely due to my inability to deal with the PSP game's kind-of-clunky controls). The game looks awesome and it comes from a strong franchise.

• 3 weeks later...