OCR01178 - Chrono Trigger "Through the Dark"

Oh. I remember hearing this in the wip forum and I really liked it. There are minor things I noticed: like I think you went a bit overboard with your reverb, there are some minor mixing things with volume that may or may not because of my speakers - the electronic piano seems a little too loud, and the choir stabs are a little unnverving but used sparingly enough not to be annoying.

When it gets to the guitar, I know you're trying hard to make it sound fairly realistic but it just ain't happening. You would've been better off just going with a different and more convincing sample.

The big problem I have here is the inclusion of 600 AD - it does create a few odd note conflicts that aren't entirely noticable, but it's mainly just not expanded upon enough. And it's really a shame that this never really builds up to anything; you achieved a really nice sound with the manora cathedral part at the beginning and end, but never really expand upon your ideas, just ending the mix how it started.

Oh god im loving this song. Its sorta a mix that I can only explain as having a fast paced beat collide with medium paced piano & a slow background that makes 1 hell of a remix. Incredible work done and easily one of my favorite remixes on the site.

Final Score:10/10

Final Comment:Its like fast,medium & slow got together & made a kick ass remix :o

I didn't really give this a fair shake before. So many remixes posted at once, I just listened to them all through once, and this one sorta slipped by me. But hey, this is awesome!

It's been awhile since there's been a really great Chrono Trigger tune. Good stuff, keep it up!

One of Darkesworde's main criticisable features is lack of variety and the repeat of material that grows stagnant. This piece however has interest kept up all through it, and a very fresh feelas new parts are added or swapped. Clever instrumentation.

• 1 month later...

Now this is a REMIX!!!! YEAH! I love it! It sounds so awesome with a perfect mix of fast pace beat and a slow relaxing tune that just forces me to give this remix a 10/10 yeah! It sounds so wonderful throughout. the beggining almost made me loose intrest...but 9 seconds into it...I was in remix heaven! ^_^ awesome!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Weird that I haven't commented on this song, since it was the one that introduced me to OCR and led to me emailing Shariq to learn all that I could about the world of remixing.

Shariq - I sitll listen and love this song. I have lost myself for literally hours in the world you have created with this piece, and I will never tire of revisiting it. Just thought I would go ahead and throw my support for Shariq into the mix, as this is my favorite song by him.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01178 - Chrono Trigger "Through the Dark"