Marvel vs. Capcom 3

DJ Mighty

Gameplay issues aside, I have major issues with netplay in MvC3 - SSF4 runs fantastic, but the minute I go at some MvC3... it feels like there is a big delay between button presses and seeing the action on screen. Every single fight feels like it has more input delay then some of my most lagged matches in SSF4.

Is anyone else having similar issues?

I need to step up my blocking game and learn how to pushblock effectively. Got my bum handed to me by GT, A_Rival, and antigrav. Good stuff all around though!

Oh, and my last match with Arek had an epic finish. Gotta play everyone again soon...after I really learn Arthur. :P

Haha still remembering me from purely HoN I see. I go by Zero round these parts, remember? Yeah I figured I'd start posting around here again for just a little. They were good matches for sure. A_Rival is a monster. I need to learn how to deal with good Haggars and I came up with something so we'll see how it pans out next time we play.

Okay maybe I don't mind losing. I guess I get frustrated when I can't figure out my opponent.

Yeah. This.

Also to you guys that don't have me yet my tag is seiryuZERO so feel free to add me so we can throw down.

Now that I understand more about the game and it's system I'm starting to get a lot better.

and let me just say......Last night I was experimenting with teams and characters I haven't really tried and omg. Dante, Iron Man and Super-Skrull are just immense.

Try this in or close to the corner.

Dante: Down + H rapidly > Quarter circle back + H > H rapidly > Hyper combo > Super Skrull's Inferno > Iron Avenger.

Let the bodies hit the floor.

Dude you don't know the half of it. I'm seriously getting turned off of online play at this point.

This. I can hardly even connect for a ranked match and when I can, I'm getting schooled by 7th Class Lords and so on. I know losing is part of the game and the only way you get better is by practice....but it's a turn off when you can only land 1 or 2 hits on guys who play every moment they can. (as opposed to me who only can in weekends)

MvsC3 is not for casual players online.

Shoryuken.com says "If you really want to get good at the game, it's important to deeply understand how the game handles your character's movements, attacks, and defense options."

In short, learn every aspect of the game you can to get good at it. That's what I'm striving for lol

So basically......you have to be able to beat the game on hardest difficulty (probably several times) in order to know your characters enough to be able to stand a chance online?

Uggg.....

No, but knowledge is power. If you're really good at something, it's because you've learned many many aspects of how it works and you are able to put it into practice.

So basically......you have to be able to beat the game on hardest difficulty (probably several times) in order to know your characters enough to be able to stand a chance online?

Uggg.....

If you can beat the computer on very hard, you can win online games. The AI is vastly superior to the majority of players you'll run into -- it tends to block much better against complex things.

Edit: Also, anyone who doesn't know what's going on, hit me up for online games and we'll set the clock to infinite and talk through stuff. Happy to help people get over the initial hurdles!

Just started playing last night! I won a couple matches against Bardic, though overall I got schooled. I still don't know most of the mechanics but I'm very pleased with how easy it is (overall) to string things together. It seems like MVC3 is more of a game about 'macro' decisions (what team? what assists? when to assist? what hypers to string?), as opposed to thinking about a single frame or a single attack. But maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I've only played about 1/3 of the cast, but so far I'm a fan of Iron Man, Haggar, Hulk and Wolverine. Dante seems really cool but he's got a billion moves, so I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with him. Likewise, Dormammu seems quite powerful with a ton of screen control, but there are a lot of moves to worry about.

This. I can hardly even connect for a ranked match and when I can, I'm getting schooled by 7th Class Lords and so on. I know losing is part of the game and the only way you get better is by practice....but it's a turn off when you can only land 1 or 2 hits on guys who play every moment they can. (as opposed to me who only can in weekends)

MvsC3 is not for casual players online.

This, and

Everyone says that practicing is key, but it's difficult to learn from practice when you don't even know what the fuck is going on.

This. How am I supposed to practice and get better when I'm getting 100% combo'd to death by Wolverine? I simply don't see what I can do differently, besides hacking the game or something.

Is it possible in the grand scheme of things that I could learn how to capitalize on the small slip-ups made by my opponent? Yeah, sure. If I played every day. Maybe if I was capable of using a fight stick, which I'm not (you might as well ask me to use chop sticks for food). Maybe if I had the stamina of a master keyboardist. I don't have any of those things, and I'm simply not willing to expend that much time and energy to try and reach for those lofty goals. Am I missing out? Probably. Am I the one to blame for my defeats, due to my ignorance and lack of skill? No doubt. I just simply don't care enough. It's not fun.

I just simply don't care enough. It's not fun.

You're not the first person I've heard this from. Got a friend who bought the game, played a few online rounds, got completely schooled and decided that the game just wasn't for him because it was too easy to get left behind in the dust by all the more "experienced" gamers.

Likewise I told a friend I played against tonight that he's no longer allowed to play me until I either get much better, or he simmers the fuck down. It's not encouraging for anyone when they get a 5-game losing streak...and not just that, but by 1-character victories the whole time.

I tried Very Hard difficulty on arcade tonight and found it to be about on par with players online. I think what I'll do is buff my main teams by going through Hard, then Very Hard difficulty once per team. Hopefully, this teaches me to block more and combo-break easier.

This, and

This. How am I supposed to practice and get better when I'm getting 100% combo'd to death by Wolverine? I simply don't see what I can do differently, besides hacking the game or something.

Is it possible in the grand scheme of things that I could learn how to capitalize on the small slip-ups made by my opponent? Yeah, sure. If I played every day. Maybe if I was capable of using a fight stick, which I'm not (you might as well ask me to use chop sticks for food). Maybe if I had the stamina of a master keyboardist. I don't have any of those things, and I'm simply not willing to expend that much time and energy to try and reach for those lofty goals. Am I missing out? Probably. Am I the one to blame for my defeats, due to my ignorance and lack of skill? No doubt. I just simply don't care enough. It's not fun.

You do have legit points.

My previous posts about studying the game to get better aside, the one thing that is really starting to turn me off this game is the X-Factor. Tonight I was playing some guy/girl of equal rank. I was mopping the floor with him/her. I had already used my x-factor. Then he's down to hulk. His/her last character. Turns on x-factor and using just that one character, chip damage, and a few combos my team was DESTROYED.

After that I just turned it off and went back to playing guitar. I'm sorry but that is a kind of loss I just can't take. I put all I had into that match and I get screwed by X-Factor and "HULK SMASH"........what kinda bullshit is that? Thing is it's far from being the first time it's happened......

You do have legit points.

My previous posts about studying the game to get better aside, the one thing that is really starting to turn me off this game is the X-Factor. Tonight I was playing some guy/girl of equal rank. I was mopping the floor with him/her. I had already used my x-factor. Then he's down to hulk. His/her last character. Turns on x-factor and using just that one character, chip damage, and a few combos my team was DESTROYED.

After that I just turned it off and went back to playing guitar. I'm sorry but that is a kind of loss I just can't take. I put all I had into that match and I get screwed by X-Factor and "HULK SMASH"........what kinda bullshit is that? Thing is it's far from being the first time it's happened......

Eh that's just part of the game. Deciding when to X-Factor is part of how the match will play out. You can do it early on to take out a poorly called assist leaving you more vulnerable at the end of the match OR you could have saved it as a last desperation sort of thing like your opponent.

You can't really call bullshit on this loss since it's not like your opponent has X-Factor and you don't. Yea I understand the frustration of having your whole team wiped out by one guy on their last bits of health but keep in mind you could have potentially done it to him too. I've done it to people and I've had it done to me plenty of times. It's just part of the high stakes vibe of MvC3. I haven't heard anyone comeback with just one character and wiping the whole other team out and then complaining about it. It's always when it's a loss does the complaining happen. Don't sweat the loss and do it right back to other people :)

Now for some people who are just getting overwhelmed in general, it's definitely harder to learn the game when you don't even understand your own characters and how they may or may not work well together. Mission Mode is a great place to get the feel of your characters. You can push out at least missions 1-7 or 8 for any character in just a few minutes. You'll learn the moves, basic combos, and the timings for some basic bread and butter combos. Practice these in Training Mode. Then practice them on moving CPUs and then also online.

Also, just because this game is a HYPER FIGHTING game doesn't mean you can try to rush down your opponent all the time. I'm beating a lot of the folks around here with Random All because I have a decent grasp on the basics of spacing, poking, and hit confirming into my combos. If I didn't do any of that and dial out combos on you guys without any thought of what you are trying to do or making sure you were open, I'd probably lose. Some of the people here I've played just try to jump at me head-first and try to do crazy stuff and all I have to do is wait for the opening and take advantage of it. Slowing down is also an option and it might help some of you. Remember, if you're attacking, you're not blocking, and thus open. You can learn a lot about these fundamentals if you play on Very Hard difficulty in this game if you put your mind too it. It's seriously the only challenging difficulty. I just wish there wasn't such a big gap between Hard and Very Hard...

I'm also willing to talk MvC3 things over with people on Live too if you need a little help. Or if you're on PSN I can hop on there too. I can't really help with advanced stuff with characters I'm not familiar with but I have other of good things to say... Speaking of PSN, I should probably play more on that a little more too. Currently yet to lose a ranked match there lol.

just faced a 5th lord who has a record of 3 wins 9 losses

can someone explain to me how these rankings work, cause he was absolutely terrible

Lord Scout Judge etc are determined based on your playstyle. I was a Lord cause stability was maxed but now I'm a Scout cause stability and advanced offense are tied. I dunno whatever.

He can't be a 5th lord with that little of games. I've seen that decently often the game won't be able to bring back their exact win/loss record before the match but will show it accurately after. Personally I don't bother looking at their record and just focus on winning.