Do you have a favourite time signature?

Fernito

4/4, 3/4, and 6/8.

When used tastefully, compound meters are fine... but in mainstream music, they never are and they're a crutch the pretentious writers use to be different and 'creative.' Absolute fucking crutch for bad writers who can't make anything interesting without them (see half of Dream Theater's newer albums).

If you read that, and thought "Yeah, that's true! But when I use it, I do it tastefully, so that's good," then you're wrong. I'm absolutely talking about you.

[This is all coming from a Meshuggah fan. But I'm fairly certain they're aware that it's kind of gimmicky.]

4/4, 3/4, and 6/8.

When used tastefully, compound meters are fine... but in mainstream music, they never are and they're a crutch the pretentious writers use to be different and 'creative.' Absolute fucking crutch for bad writers who can't make anything interesting without them (see half of Dream Theater's newer albums).

If you read that, and thought "Yeah, that's true! But when I use it, I do it tastefully, so that's good," then you're wrong. I'm absolutely talking about you.

[This is all coming from a Meshuggah fan. But I'm fairly certain they're aware that it's kind of gimmicky.]

Even though Meshuggah doesn't do it to be gimmicky becuase if you count it out it ends up being in like 4/4 anyway just with weird beat placement.