The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

DarkeSword

"HEY LOOK YOU GOT A RUPEE. IT IS WORHT WGJSFGSDFGHDSFH"

"HEY LOOK YOU GOT A HEART THIS WILL REFILL YOUR DSTWGHEFGE"

"HEY LOOK YOU GOT A BEETLE IT SGDFGD"

"HEY LOOK YOU GOT SLIME IT SGNDFGDFGHDJH"

this shit has got to stop. holy shit it was bad in zelda games before, but now it happens EVERY.TIME.YOU.TURN.THE.GAME.ON

it acts like you never picked up anything before. holy SHIT is this awful.

So listening to the latest Invisible Walls from Gametrailers (or, more accurately, skipping ahead to where they discuss Zelda), I figured out why the review sounded so negative for it.

The guy, Shane, thought the game was half the length it was, and ended up playing way longer than he wanted to each day, often until 3 in the morning. He didn't budget enough time to play and therefore pushed himself and rushed himself through the game, getting only around 3 or 4 hours of sleep a night so he could get back to playing it.

Being forced to do that with ANY game would make you hate it :S

Also, they were telling their audience to STFU about the game since no one had played it yet and therefore was not qualified to give an opinion. Time to actually do some research, guys! The game's been out in Europe for a while, and some people even got it sooner through certain retailers. Apparently Switzerland released it on the 10th, so yes, these people are qualified to give an opinion.

I just...I just couldn't believe my ears that they were telling their audience - their fans to STFU. Seriously. And those were literally their words: SHUT THE F*** UP

Excuse me, I didn't say I didn't like silent protagonists or that I didn't like Zelda. Nor did I start a conversation. I simply said that in this day and age, there's no excuse to not have voice actors. There's no limitation on the hardware keeping them from doing it.

in this day and age THERE IS NO REASON WE CAN'T RAGE AT YOU FOR NO REASON jeez.

Excuse me, I didn't say I didn't like silent protagonists or that I didn't like Zelda. Nor did I start a conversation. I simply said that in this day and age, there's no excuse to not have voice actors. There's no limitation on the hardware keeping them from doing it.

The reason is a choice of style. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to.

There's no limit to me going out and stabbing someone tonight, but I won't do it. Similarly, adding voice acting to Zelda would be like stabbing the franchise in the face repeatedly.

The point is that there is an excuse. Nintendo thinks it's a better creative decision for there to be no voice acting. They've tried it before with Mario, and they do it with Star Fox and Metroid. It's not that they're afraid of voice acting, they just don't think it works with Zelda.

I dunno, I got kind of attached to the main character guy in Majora's Mask.

I think I've read before that Nintendo wants you to view Link as an avatar versus an actual character. That's why the secondary character usually ends up having such a strong personality. It's kind of hard to explain, but they're like the ambassador for the main character in a way. They're usually the ones who advance the plot. I personally could care less for Midna, but I know a lot of people loved her. In many ways, Midna was the main character of Twilight Princess, the plot had very little to do with Link.

I'd prefer it if they took a Pixar approach to voice acting versus the usual animelike sort of thing.

So basically, not like Tales of Symphonia or Metroid Other M. And the plot better not be like Other M, just make it a regular Zelda game that happens to have voice acting and I'd be set.

Link: I was left wondering what had happened to Zelda, and my baby, the Cucco.... The baby. I walked to Hyrule Castle. It was then that I heard the craw of the Cucco, code-named Cucco-craw. It was a craw used to attract attention, like that of a cucco. And then I felt... sleepy.

Skyward sword looks at least 90% pure win to me. I can't wait to play it. :grin:

Link: I was left wondering what had happened to Zelda, and my baby, the Cucco.... The baby. I walked to Hyrule Castle. It was then that I heard the craw of the Cucco, code-named Cucco-craw. It was a craw used to attract attention, like that of a cucco. And then I felt... sleepy.

Please don't remind me of the game that totally upset me. Other M was a disaster. :cry:

Hopefully, nothing like that will happen again, Metroid or otherwise. And, since this is in the realm of bad plot/dialogue, I feel a strange urge to mention FFXIII.... At least Sazh was cool enough, but the rest of the main characters as far as I got into the game felt heavily stereotyped and immensely annoying. :whatevaa:

"HEY LOOK YOU GOT A RUPEE. IT IS WORHT WGJSFGSDFGHDSFH"

"HEY LOOK YOU GOT A HEART THIS WILL REFILL YOUR DSTWGHEFGE"

"HEY LOOK YOU GOT A BEETLE IT SGDFGD"

"HEY LOOK YOU GOT SLIME IT SGNDFGDFGHDJH"

this shit has got to stop. holy shit it was bad in zelda games before, but now it happens EVERY.TIME.YOU.TURN.THE.GAME.ON

it acts like you never picked up anything before. holy SHIT is this awful.

Lol, overreacting much? This is a very minor nuisance, not nearly as bad as you put it. IMHO.

Excuse me, I have an opinion that doesn't really match anybody else's in this thread But I'm going to throw it out there anyway, even though I've made myself completely irrelevant before this point in time.

I personally think The Legend of Zelda does well *without* voice acting. I mean, come on. Who is going to be Link, when he's never said anything but 'HYAT HUGHH AAAAAAAAAAAAUGH" before?

How is he supposed to sound? His adult form is still barely out of puberty, he's always depicted as around 17-20 years old. His kid form is anywhere from 7-10 years old. Seriously, and you want a voice actor?

While voice acting for the non-link characters would be nice, I'd rather not play my Zelda game with everyone sounding like some generic anime character (which would undoubtedly happen if there were to be voices), so I'm ok with no VA.

QFT. The only way I'd accept voice acting in a Zelda game is if they got Pixar to handle the translation and the acting.

Not having voice acting is a creative and project management decision. The argument that "there's no excuse" is dumb. Just because a technology exists, no matter how accessible, still takes resources and time to implement. It adds a whole new layer of complexity to every aspect of the development process, so either it would have added more development time, or they would need to cut time from another part of the game in order to meet deadline. Not to mention all the hassles that stem from it regarding localization. So without VA, they're able to focus their efforts on other aspects that are more valuable to the game.

And everyone else has brought up the creative side. When it comes down to it, the chance of ruining the experience rises when you implement VA.

I've looked over the Dolphin forums and some people have gotten to the end already with only small problems. There seems to be some work involved getting the painting DOF filter to work properly (it seems different AA settings are giving strange results), but it's still playable. I did see some problems people were having getting the MotionPlus controller to work as well. You do need a beefy system (Quad core, at least 3.0ghz) to keep it running smooth as well.

EDIT:

http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=19897