The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

DarkeSword

http://e3.nintendo.com/wii/game/?g=zelda

I'm very excited about this game. The graphics look awesome and all of the hands-on impressions I've read say that the controls are amazing. I read an interview stating that after what Nintendo did with full orchestra music in the Mario Galaxy games, they couldn't very well pass on doing the same for Zelda, so hopefully we'll finally get some real live orchestra in a Zelda game.

http://e3.nintendo.com/wii/game/?g=zelda

I'm very excited about this game. The graphics look awesome and all of the hands-on impressions I've read say that the controls are amazing. I read an interview stating that after what Nintendo did with full orchestra music in the Mario Galaxy games, they couldn't very well pass on doing the same for Zelda, so hopefully we'll finally get some real live orchestra in a Zelda game.

Won't that mean the music can no longer change on the fly to match the action? I kind of like that.

The real question is, will they introduce someone just as cool/cooler than Midna?

Looks awesome, but I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed that Link is likely to be right handed in all future iterations.

Maybe this time around they will offer the option to pick a handedness when you start a new game file? I believe they said they couldn't do it for Twilight Princess without mirroring the entire game, but maybe they learned their lesson from that? :razz:

The game itself makes me very interested, especially with the (hopefully) 1:1 controls. Although, I could definitely do with a difficulty increase....

However, I'm really iffy on the orchestral music. I have found that orchestral music doesn't fit well with video games to me. While there were a couple of songs I liked of Super Mario Galaxy, most of them are completely forgettable (I can't recall a single song, and I just beat the game for the second time 100% again a month ago) and somewhat bland/boring - too "atmospheric" and made to be background music just to have something other than silence. I always liked the melodies that video game music offered - stuff that got stuck in your head, that you could hum/whistle/bob your head to and really get into, and with this shift to orchestral music, it seems like the majority of songs have put that all away and all the games that do this type of music are very similar sounding, boring pieces of music that just fill the silence (no good original melodies, no good "groove"). Of course, this doesn't mean orchestral music can't be interesting, but I haven't played a game yet (or at least one I can remember off the top of my head) that has orchestral music that is interesting for more than a couple songs. Maybe I haven't played the right game though.

The game itself makes me very interested, especially with the (hopefully) 1:1 controls. Although, I could definitely do with a difficulty increase....

However, I'm really iffy on the orchestral music. I have found that orchestral music doesn't fit well with video games to me. While there were a couple of songs I liked of Super Mario Galaxy, most of them are completely forgettable (I can't recall a single song, and I just beat the game for the second time 100% again a month ago) and somewhat bland/boring - too "atmospheric" and made to be background music just to have something other than silence. I always liked the melodies that video game music offered - stuff that got stuck in your head, that you could hum/whistle/bob your head to and really get into, and with this shift to orchestral music, it seems like the majority of songs have put that all away and all the games that do this type of music are very similar sounding, boring pieces of music that just fill the silence (no good original melodies, no good "groove"). Of course, this doesn't mean orchestral music can't be interesting, but I haven't played a game yet (or at least one I can remember off the top of my head) that has orchestral music that is interesting for more than a couple songs. Maybe I haven't played the right game though.

Final Fantasy 6?

Are you kidding?? I can't get those Galaxy songs out of my head!

http://www.youtube.com/user/timmyturnersdad?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/48/NpAMsN_4VYE

http://www.youtube.com/user/timmyturnersdad?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/53/-i4eAqFNMg4

http://www.youtube.com/user/timmyturnersdad?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/59/OmSDwiAnPPY

http://www.youtube.com/user/timmyturnersdad?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/62/KmodD2IzsFA

http://www.youtube.com/user/timmyturnersdad?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/1/--rv9r19H-0

http://www.youtube.com/user/timmyturnersdad?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/2/nYQvAovLaRo

http://www.youtube.com/user/timmyturnersdad?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/3/_oZk3Tj29M8

http://www.youtube.com/user/timmyturnersdad?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/4/oQBS6dISFjM

I personally couldn't be more excited for orchestral music!

And yes, Nintendo can make even orchestral music change on the fly. Dive underwater in Mario Galaxy or hit Bowser's weak spot (for massive damage) to see what I mean.

Final Fantasy 6?

Final Fantasy VI's music was amazing, but I wouldn't classify it in the same orchestral sense as stuff from say, Super Mario Galaxy. It sounds extremely different, as FFVI's music wanted to stand out (there's lot of melodies, etc) and Galaxy's seemed to want to stay in the background only so you aren't hearing only sound effects. At least that's the way it seems to me.

Are you kidding?? I can't get those Galaxy songs out of my head!

Those are all from Galaxy 2, which I haven't gotten the chance to play yet (and do sound better than Galaxy 1).

Those are all from Galaxy 2, which I haven't gotten the chance to play yet (and do sound better than Galaxy 1).

Actually, the second 4 are from galaxy 1. They use them in Galaxy 2, but they don't change them at all. They play during some of the secret levels.

man, i couldn't disagree more with all of that stuff about orchestral music in games. both galaxy games, i think, are some of the best examples of music in video games, orchestral or not. most of the music is centered on really distinct melodies, so i find it a little weird to hear someone say that the games are lacking in that department. i can sort of see where you're coming from if you were talking about games like the elder scrolls series, but even still i'd disagree with you.

as for zelda, i'm kinda skeptical right now. it has a nice visual style and looks like it'll be a solid game, but i really wasn't blown away by anything i saw in the trailer or demo. it seems like they added more thorough motion control to the twilight princess formula and that's about it, which is a little disappointing, at least for me. i was sort of hoping they'd figure out a way to create a more dramatic revision of the 3d zelda formula, the way they did with the galaxy series. i love the zelda series, but we've essentially been playing variations on the same game since 1998, while other nintendo franchises have seen much more substantial overhauls in the same timeframe.

I found Link's movements to be a little awkward looking, especially when he has the sword out. Watching the E3 video where Miyamoto is demonstrating the game, there's a few scenes where Link runs around with the sword held upwards in the air, stiff as a pole.

I found Link's movements to be a little awkward looking, especially when he has the sword out. Watching the E3 video where Miyamoto is demonstrating the game, there's a few scenes where Link runs around with the sword held upwards in the air, stiff as a pole.

They actually were experiencing technical difficulties during Miyamoto's demo. The bright lights on stage were messing with the sensors on the wiimotes and causing input hiccups.

If you read any hands-on impressions at the game news website of your choice, people who have tried it out say that the controls are very responsive and aren't prone to those weird input issues we saw during the demo.

I think that Nintendo has filled it's quota for Ocarina fans. I think that they are really moving on with this one. I hope that they refuse to cater to fanboys and really just do something new here.

I am very excited about this game. I like the graphics - very fun and adventurous, and I am like many others looking forward to an authentic orchestral musical score, not the cheap midi we're used to. The game just looks like it is doing what it wants. Twilight Princess is good but I feel like it was created as a labour of servitude, not a labor of fun. We'll see.

I was commenting more on the visuals than the controls.

A real person holding a sword, or even just having a sword sheathed at the hip, moves and walks with a gait, swings their arms, etc, that is essentially matched by the sword held in his/her hand or attached to his/her hip.

My guess is people aren't going to play the game standing up and walk on the spot so that Link is going to walk around holding/moving the sword with a natural gait.

They actually were experiencing technical difficulties during Miyamoto's demo. The bright lights on stage were messing with the sensors on the wiimotes and causing input hiccups.

If you read any hands-on impressions at the game news website of your choice, people who have tried it out say that the controls are very responsive and aren't prone to those weird input issues we saw during the demo.

(I can't recall a single song, and I just beat the game for the second time 100% again a month ago)...

[stuff]

...with this shift to orchestral music, it seems like the majority of songs have put that all away and all the games that do this type of music are very similar sounding, boring pieces of music that just fill the silence (no good original melodies, no good "groove").

Blasphemy. There are more than ten songs I can remember from that game, and I only did it 100% ONCE. Absolutely strong melodies, and a lot of them in each song. I respect everyone has their own tastes, but to say that they're all similar sounding and boring "silence fillers" is a bit over the top insulting to the composer. There's plenty of good stuff in Mario Galaxy music, and I don't understand how you see them as boring and similar sounding. Also, Mario Galaxy music isn't just orchestral.

Freezeflame Galaxy. :D

I am EXCITED for the orchestral music of this new Zelda game.

Blasphemy. There are more than ten songs I can remember from that game, and I only did it 100% ONCE. Absolutely strong melodies, and a lot of them in each song. I respect everyone has their own tastes, but to say that they're all similar sounding and boring "silence fillers" is a bit over the top insulting to the composer. There's plenty of good stuff in Mario Galaxy music, and I don't understand how you see them as boring and similar sounding. Also, Mario Galaxy music isn't just orchestral.

thats just your opinion buddy

i agree with sengin though yeah i turned the music off in galaxy after a certain point it didnt do anything for me

To be fair, I didn't say EVERY piece of music in Galaxy was boring to me, and I wasn't commenting on solely Galaxy.

But about the game: when I saw that Link could actually run and jump on command, I was damned happy. Seriously, he couldn't jump on command without being in an attack stance in any traditional Zelda game (excluding Link's Awakening, but you needed a damned item and have it equipped in order to jump?!, and I'm excluding Zelda II here because I don't consider it a "traditional" Zelda). Also, I won't have to roll roll roll roll roll to get anywhere when I don't have the horse/faster transportation finally. I can't believe it took them this long to add such basic functionality.