MAGFest 9 is gone - PMD sets in :(

Bahamut

As always, MAG rocked my face off. I was super happy that we decided to get a room this year, because in addition to having a place to leave our stuff, the jamming/gaming party in our room on Saturday night made me the happiest I've been in a long time. I could have used another day or two to see people, but part of why MAG is so fun is because we don't get to see each other that often.

the jam was awesome, man. next year i'm driving down and bringing my acoustic bass solely for that few hours =)

It's always great seeing everyone again. I wish I wasn't so far away! In any case, while MAG is great, I would have had just as much fun hanging out with you guys anywhere. There's nothing so good as to be able to say "it's like Dominion and Puzzle Fighter", and have the majority of people understand what you mean.

Thanks especially to Stevo for hosting a bunch of us for one last post-MAG hurrah -- it was nice to have MAG slowly wind down last night.

It's always great seeing everyone again. I wish I wasn't so far away! In any case, while MAG is great, I would have had just as much fun hanging out with you guys anywhere. There's nothing so good as to be able to say "it's like Dominion and Puzzle Fighter", and have the majority of people understand what you mean.

It's not Pogs, Bro!

The highlight of my MAGFest was playing Naruto GNT with a deaf/mute girl who typed stuff on her phone to trash talk me.

~ QUIET NARUTO GIRL, IF YOU ARE OUT THERE, PLEASE SAY HELLO ~

You're kidding...
I'm definitely going through Post-Mag Depression... *sobs* :-( I'm so grateful I got to go to this! Missed the panels on Thursday because of the insane badge line...but next year I'll make sure to come on Wednesday and leave on Monday!!

It was a pleasure being with so many of you. 4 days is really not enough time to be with all of you. I will post my videos and pictures really soon. I love you guys... I mean it. It's incredibly important that I do Mag every year so I will work hard towards that goal!

For now, it's back to the Wild ARMs project... I need Stevo around as soon as possible please. ;-)

I was surprised how bummed out I was at the end. I knew met most of you guys at least once or twice before, but many of you were met for the first time.

I think it was because everyone was so nice and that I'm sharing a part of my life I haven't shared with other friends. You guys are awesome.

There's no way I could recount all the amazing things that happened, but I'm still overwhelmed with how awesome it was and I'm home now. XD

Didn't get to jam long with Obtuse, but the couple of songs we played -- including a Schala's theme arrangement I'd learned previously on guitar -- was fantastic, I loved playing live with people, seeing Cyril perform 3 or 4 times plus blowing out his voice. Jamming with Kunal Majmudar on drums may have taken the cake, just because he was so amazing on drums that I almost stopped playing and just watched him in awe.

The OCR panel was sweet! I was super tired by that point but it was SO entertaining, they started up with a live performance with Level 99 guitar, Cyril bass, OA guitar, diotrans violin -- I'm sorry if I forgot anyone there. Then the panel showing released albums, upcoming albums including a particularly awesome new preview trailer for Heroes vs. Villains (02.2011)... talking about upcoming features in v4 like Blogs and more, hurrah! The list of upcoming albums took up TWO COLUMNS! The super charismatic Larry threw Dear Friends shirts throughout the panel, and generally kept everyone entertained and/or in constant fear with his booming vocals. Very nice guy!

OCAD panel was lame. :-P Hahah I kid. But on a serious note, I'm looking forward to that audio recording and video they made. It was a little hard to hear them at the panel!

Brushfire's Ash Pimp costume. :-D

I'm really happy that I met DarkeSword and Bahamut and Zircon, a few guys I kinda didn't get along with in the past, they're actually very cool and friendly guys and I'm extremely happy to have met them there for what brief time it was! I regret not having my Return All Robots soundtrack with me whenever I saw zirc though, would have liked to get it autographed. :-o

I got an autographed Super Meat Boy soundtrack from Danny B :-D

I'm really just saying random things at this point, I wasn't planning to and there's a LOAD of things that were awesome that I probably didn't mention, like getting hugged by a drunken Jade! That was definitely the highlight of the DoD listening party -- that and Snappleman's incredible ninja turtle drawing on Pictochat.. if you were there, you know what I'm sayin. :-) Some real artists on that thing!

I wanna go get some lunch so I'm just going to end with, everyone else I met is just as awesome or more awesome than I had remembered them OR than I expected as I hadn't met them yet. :-D

Just remembered, meeting OA and Deia was awesome! Deia had the neatest Duck Tal--err I mean Lucca from Chrono Trigger costume, and OA checked out and complimented my cheap little Ibanez S7320 :-D

when you guys played the goo goo dolls I basically cried

even though it only came through as a garbled speakerphone mess, it was amazing to feel like I was almost actually there

...next year is going to pwn

ben, i had no idea that was you on the other side of the phone =) good to know. would have been cool to talk to you.

next year, man!

I was reminded of this poll while at the fest. I spoke with some dudes there about it.

Initially, I balked at the idea, seeing as much of what makes MAGFest what it is (Game Room, panels, guests, comfortable hotel rooms) would be lost. But after being there this year, I began to reconsider. Because there was always so much going on, it became difficult to divide time between spending time with the community and actually seeing/playing all the stuff that was available. I think this simpler, more streamlined event would be a great buffer til the next MAG and a good way to get to know people you might not otherwise know.

EDIT: Turns out the poll is closed, but I'd still be interested in talking about the idea.

what a great way to kick off 2011. shoutouts to harmony, kwesi, monobrow, audiofidelity, lukas, scytheful, donut, jade, chris, arek, hypersonic, overcoat, vimk, hawkenstein, drumultima, shnabubula, tim, ella_guru, a_rival, darkesword, arrow, cyril, wildfire, hiroki kikuta and whale songs, 48 hr days, energy drinks, korean food, con funk, jamspace, magfest, gettin lost in dc, and everything and everyone else i missed!

peaceeeeeeee

MAG was awesome, per the usual. Both The Lady & I had a great time, and there's definitely too much to go over. But we had a great time and both signed Jon St. John's iPad on the shuttle to the airport. The guy's a beast, and he's a great ambassador for MAG. As he said, he's all about creating buzz and getting more and more people to check out the event, and it's his favorite of the year. I might have more thoughts later, but thanks for the memories!

I'm really just saying random things at this point, I wasn't planning to and there's a LOAD of things that were awesome that I probably didn't mention, like getting hugged by a drunken Jade! That was definitely the highlight of the DoD listening party --

LMAOOOOOOO - I DO NOT remember hugging you! I keep hearing new things. I really don't remember as soon as I entered the DoD party. I wish I didn't go out and ruin it. :( hahaha I still had a lot of fun, but next time just a couple of drinks and that's it. We shall chat more in Mag 10 'cos I'M GOING TO GO NO MATTER WHAT.

what a great way to kick off 2011. shoutouts to harmony, kwesi, monobrow, audiofidelity, lukas, scytheful, donut, jade, chris, arek, hypersonic, overcoat, vimk, hawkenstein, drumultima, shnabubula, tim, ella_guru, a_rival, darkesword, arrow, cyril, wildfire, hiroki kikuta and whale songs, 48 hr days, energy drinks, korean food, con funk, jamspace, magfest, gettin lost in dc, and everything and everyone else i missed!

peaceeeeeeee

Love ya man. Such a pleasure to meet you! You're so awesome and I loved watching you at JamSpace. Next year we should hang/talk more! :)

This didn't happen to any of us I believe, but I think everyone who went or is planning to go should read this thread about something that happened with some Shizzie women: http://theshizz.org/forum/index.php?/topic/33720-magfest-rapists/

It is absolutely something that shouldn't be tolerated, and something we should be on guard over as a community.