OCR02153 - Professor Layton "Luke, a True Gentleman Prefers a Touch of Light Jazz"

djpretzel

Many of you may not know this... but our very own ProtoDome, a beloved and well-respected musician, is dying. He suffers from a very serious affliction known as Judicially Diminished Grasp of Full Groove-Time Syndrome, or JDGFGTS. This increasingly-common disorder is responsible for both the frighteningly short length of his remixes, as well as his pale and sickly appearance.

While little research has been conducted concerning what actually causes JDGFGTS, most experts agree that consuming excess amounts of "not enough variation" and "too repetitive" are the leading risk factors. Treatment options are notoriously arduous, but not out of the question. For example, most doctors will recommend an initial treatment plan known as "listening to some actual music for a change". However, if unsuccessful, the only remaining option is an extremely risky and near-impossible procedure commonly referred to as "canning the judges, djp".

Unfortunately, it is too late for young ProtoDome. His JDGFGTS has progressed past the point of no return, and I am disheartened to report that his remixes will simply become shorter and shorter until they are no longer substantial enough to pass the judges panel. While he will continue to write music, he will only be able to compose short and unsatisfying jingles, until finally his creativity degenerates into a disjointed assortment of blips, bloops, and beeps. Without the ability to create music, he will die a pitiful and untimely death, and I can only hope that someone will be there for him when his poor heart plays its final note.

---------------

edit: in all seriousness, the bite-size nature of this remix is one of its greatest strengths. makes me want to play it over and over... and over and over and over and over. can't comment on the arrangement, don't know the source, but I love the song and the production is top-notch. absolutely ADORE the subtle glitch-ish percussion :D

This may be short, but it's not the length that counts; it's how you use...the source. And how you use the source is secksi tiemz. I listened to the midi at vgmusic, and I was surprised at how easily I was able to recognize it. This mix sounded like it would be ridiculously liberal, but it's not as far as I expected. It's got a balanced dose of protofication.

Also tasty drums.

GUD JOB

Edit: Somehow I went from humming this to humming the Magic School Bus theme in a matter of a few seconds. WHAT DID YOU PUT IN THIS THING

Jeez. I absolutely hated this song in the game, but this arrangement makes it surprisingly bearable. Of course, the theme itself is pretty heavily obscured, but go with what works, I guess.

Definitely digging the electric piano work here, and while the acoustic piano is a bit bright (*almost* painfully so), I think it helps to bring the character of the original theme into play here. I enjoyed it :nicework:

Much, much, MUCH, better than the source tune of the puzzles. Thank god. Yeah, kinda short and bite-sized, but when it comes down to it, I think that adds to my appreciation of this particular tune, considering the source. Very light jazz with a nice piano and glitched up drums, perfect for a quick break. Good ReMix for a good game. Can't really ask for more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love that intro.

This really makes me think of the sound you get out of a record player, only that it sounds modernized and actually helps the song out a lot.

The higher notes actually hurt my ears in my car, for some weird reason.

Great jazz :)

I agree with everyone about the Rhodes Piano. It just works so well in so many ways. : D

• 3 months later...

This is wonderful! It's a great way to retool the puzzle solving theme, which really does grind itself into your head if you're playing too long. I would love to hear versions of the puzzle themes from the other games as well.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02153 - Professor Layton "Luke, a True Gentleman Prefers a Touch of Light Jazz"