OCR01350 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Memories Frozen in Time"

Why does everybody who remixes the Ice Cap Zone theme insist on chilling it out?! What made it so popular was the fact that it had heavy beats going on and was one of the earliest proper house tracks to get into a videogame. If I'm correct, though, this is actually a previously existing remix, with the rap on top, isn't it? Because I'm sure somebody has sent me this background music before...

The rapping is good, though, and the lyrics. Though a little angsty, not that all rap isn't. Though it sounds like the vocalist is getting a bit bored/tired towards the end.

I can't really say a whole lot about it, really. It's 'okay'. A bit angsty, as I said. I always preferred rap with a bit more energy in it to the recycled stuff we hear on MTV today, though there still are the greats, Tupac Shakur (Rest in peace!) was amazing, and Marshall Mathers/Eminem is equally fantastic when he decides he wants to be serious. But this one is quite good, I mean, it's one of those which if I saw on MTV, I'd hesitate for a moment, instead of just flicking channels away from 'another boring recycled rap song' like I usually do. So it does stand out somewhat.

Also I'd like to mention my respect for the lyrics. That old Knuckles rap on here we had which was all rapping about the game and stuff really made me laugh out loud. This time the lyrics are just about music, creating music, and the dream to go somewhere with it... With a few little cliché whinings about people 'not understanding'. I particularly like the "I'll be alright though. I'll be okay" and that general tone, it's nice to hear that, amongst the stupid amount of rap and metal we have about how awful life apparently is today, which causes the teens to actually TRY to be depressed.

Even if it's not the most exciting or creative videogame remix in history, thanks for a nice, interesting treat, and I'd like to perhaps have a look out for more of this artist's rhymes.

Why does everybody who remixes the Ice Cap Zone theme insist on chilling it out?!

Cuz I'm a pretty chill guy. =)

If I'm correct, though, this is actually a previously existing remix, with the rap on top, isn't it? Because I'm sure somebody has sent me this background music before...

You might be thinking of Iced Out Nine Twenty Two; that was an earlier version of this song, minus lyrics & general awesomeness.

It's obvious that remixes with lyrics are fast establishing themselves as the future of OCR, so I hope you guys can be at the forefront of this new movement. Don't abandon us to be famous guys :evil:

Hah! When I'm famous, I'll still be around this place. Matter of fact, when the Just Us album is finished (hopefully soon), we'll be submitting more stuff here.

-DCT

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Alright, so at about 0:22, I start hearing crickets chirping in the background. I think to myself, "great another mix of ice cap to delete... no, I'm going to overwrite it... with a strong bad e-mail."

To prove how horrible I thought it was, I pulled the headphones plug out of my stereo, and yell to my roommate, "Listen to this crap! He's got crickets in the background! BOREFEST!"

Then, I hit 1:08.

8O

I started thinking, oh my rod!

I love the lyrics. They're much better than a Mario mix I've heard (it's not on the site from my search) where the lyrics are something like

"I'm gonna git that princess... gonna **** her all night... gotta get that princess in my bed tonight..."

Sure, no Sonic basis in the lyrics, but DOES THAT MATTER? I could chill to this 23/7 and sleep 1/7.

Congrats on being the second Ice Cap mix i've kept.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

"Do rap and vg-mixes mix?" If someone was to ask me that question, I'd propably say no, just because...well, chocolate doesn't mix with chicken either. Then again, I hear mixes - such as this one - and I wonder if anyone has ever actually tasted chicken with chocolate.

The start of the song is pretty non-existant. It just comes from somewhere, with a smooth, relaxing bassline, and way a melody way too familiar for me (HC Sonic the Hedgehog -fan since early 90's), and here we are, with another noname white-rapper (please do correct me if I'm wrong), rapping to a beat made from a video-game music track. Seems like a flop to me. But oh no, that's not what it is: The rapper, whom I've never heard of before, actually does a good job, even though the lyrics are quite cliché and even angsty at times (Well, it's still way better than your average "50cent - ho bling drugs guns" -rapping).

What should be done differently then? Well for one, lift the beat up a notch or two: It's too quiet imo. Also, this will propably get me flamed but who cares: Leave rapping to black folks (I'm assuming from your lyrics/voice that you're white), because they are the one's who do it the best.

To sum it up, good beat+good singing=good song. Nothing spectacular, but I listen to it at least once when ever it crosses my playlist.

I wasn't trying to be mean, just honest (I'll say this before someone calls me a racist or w/e).

here we are, with another noname white-rapper (please do correct me if I'm wrong)

You're wrong.

Leave rapping to black folks (I'm assuming from your lyrics/voice that you're white), because they are the one's who do it the best.

This line is classic.

To sum it up, good beat+good singing=good song. Nothing spectacular, but I listen to it at least once when ever it crosses my playlist.

I wasn't trying to be mean, just honest (I'll say this before someone calls me a racist or w/e).

Appreciated. And don't knock the chicken/chocolate combo til you've tried it.

-DCT

• 1 month later...

I may be easily amused, but I can still feel the good and bad character in music. Although it may be the sample it's self heightening the song, I still enjoy all aspects.

I am not a rap/hiphop hater. I have found alot with soul and I never shut out what may have potential.

I always always love good hip hop and R&B using awesome samples, and for the sample to be Ice Cap Zone is just ....WHOAAAAAAA TOTALLY BOMB ASS!! I dig I dig I dig.

• 2 months later...

Woah. All these rap ReMixes I'm coming across OCR are luring myself back to be more interested in.. well.. rap. 'Cept I'm wanting to hear more stuff like this instead of the stuff I listen to on TV or radio. Anyways, as Atom45 said, the emotion found in the mix is incredible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

yeah this is not bad

good to see some hip hop on this site that isn't treated like a joke

the rapping is pretty good, the guy has good flow and breath control.

i'm really not feelin the beat though. the drums and bass are good but the melody doesn't work for me

hope to see more from you guys maybe with some better source material

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

This review thread is interesting to say the least. It's a great lesson on ways to effectively misuse your review privelages.

But to my views on the mix:

I'm a guy that remains pretty sheltered from rap/hip-hop, intentionally. I just see it as far too broad a genre to penetrate, and I also find it dauntingly homogeneous. That's why I love hip-hop artists that send out a helping hand to guide me through the battlefield: a hook or lure, some kind of metaphoric utensil that allows me to enjoy the craft without getting bored or alienated. I recently discovered Lupe Fiasco's ridiculously awesome melodic hooks that are complimented by the rapid-delivery so well. From that, I can really see what all the fuss is about, musically.

I also get the same vibe from this mix. Not that DCT and Just Us are much like Lupe Fiasco, but because they offer a great hook in the Ice Cap Theme. It's a great melody that doesn't intrude, is predictable but very co-operable, and it really works in providing a smooth track for the vocals to run on. Lyrics are cool, angst doesn't grate on me as much as stupid lyrics do, so this mix is in the clear on that one. I was also really overjoyed with the short break that offered a really serene moment, very rare in the generalised hip-hop scene. Great work, really impressive.

I also want to say that OCR should not be about making music that should sound radio-esque. Nor should it aspire to people's beliefs that all songs with the basis of videogame music should stay attached to videogame status. OCR is about the appreciation of videogame MUSIC, not the celebration or representation of videogames. The site is about creative license; if someone wants to make a rap song out of a tune that didn't traditionally conjure up the rap mood, that does not make the mix unjustified. I've seen a lot of people condemn this mix because they don't appreciate or understand the creative decisions made in relation to the original music. Noone should ever be discouraged from percieving material in new and non-traditional ways just because it may not seem like a natural progression. OCR is about expanding on something we all love as a form of expression, and I fail to see why this, and every other mix, doesn't belong here.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the best, if not the best, rap remix on OCR. Instrumental beat is what it needs to be without overpowering the rapping. Like how fast the rap is, even though it doesn't convey much emotion. The lyrics, however, are extremely down-to-earth and full of emotion...really enjoyed how personal it gets.

You guys should make another song for OCR.

• 11 months later...

One of the most mainstream sounding songs I've heard on OCR in terms of the sound, but these aren't really the kind of lyrics you're likely to hear on the radio. This song combined the kind of professional beats you'd hear from a mainstream rap song with the kind of personal, meaningful lyrics you get from underground hip-hop.

I really agree that this one feels like an homage/tribute to Eminem's Mockingbird, but the subject matter of the lyrics combined with the familiar IceCap meldoy makes this one unique enough to hold onto :-) Nice work fellas!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This song is great. It has a sort of beauty to it in my opinion and is one of my favorites on this site. I love the lyrics.

This song is basically rap done right. It has a great message in it, but I can't completely relate to it.

The beat is great to. I especially like the interlude or whatever around 2:40 followed by a sort of funky bassline (I'm not sure if I chose the right word there).

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01350 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Memories Frozen in Time"