OCR00460 - Final Fantasy "Matoya's Grave"

Ginnsu

Final Fantasy 'Matoya's Grave'

In this mix Deimos has some very interesting instrumentation. With the melody, he moves smoothly from instrument to instrument with intent on slowly but surely (and dramatically) reaching the final destination. If you’re thinking I’m interpreting this as a journey, well then you got me. It’s very soft and soothing, very easy to listen too. Love the piano work, Deimos, and great job.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
This one really gives the name its colors. I can actually tell that this would be the grave of Matoya, given the sad slow nature of this song. I applaud deim0s on the remix

Yep, me too. This song is one of the happiest themes in the game, and to make this sound like a funeral really needs some skills. Luckily, demi0s had, and he did a respectful anthem of that, excuse me, old hag. Death affects us all, not even videogame characters slip away.

I bet one of the brooms did it.

• 1 year later...

This mix confuses me. It's well done and creative, but for some reason I just can't get into it. It develops nicely and has a very good mood, as well as good samples, all creativly used. I like the source song as well.

Maybe it's because this piece sets such a mood, you need to be in a similar mood to appreciate it.

Or maybe it's that damn fake sounding owl sample that hoots all over the track.

• 2 years later...

I used to be a fan of this track, but sadly that has waned a bit lately. Something just doesn't click with me. The long tones just don't seem to fit exact with the melody here and there, I think that's what's throwing me off in the beginning of the track. The sounds haven't aged well, either, which doesn't help the situation. I like the idea of what's being presented, but the execution has lost its touch on me.

• 2 months later...

I've had this arrangement on my computer for quite a long time now. At one point I had tucked it away into a storage folder, then rediscovered it and now it's back in my main Final Fantasy music folder.

What can I say about this? I absolutely love it, and just can't fault it. This probably comes from my bias towards Final Fantasy music and well done ambient music. It explores Matoya's Theme in a way one wouldn't really expect. It turns something that was somewhat upbeat into something more somber and moody. I don't find it repetitive in spite of the length either. It explores enough ideas to keep it interesting, without being over the top.

So it's not something you play if you want to groove or rock or anything like that. I find it's good chill music, or good music to draw or write to. Or just something in the background if you don't want anything overwhelming, but don't like absolute quiet.

• 6 years later...

Really interesting take on a near-annoyingly upbeat source. The owl sample helped with the atmosphere, but it defintely went on too long. Whem the main melody comes in, it somehow manages to not ruin the somber mood. The bassoon sounds alright, but the strings are just dated (forgivable given the context). The pad chords at the end are one of the best parts of the mix. I just wish the vibraphone had pedal usage. Overall, really good.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00460 - Final Fantasy "Matoya's Grave"