Chiptunes ...?

Krakozhia

Pure chiptunes have kind of run their course IMO. I think we should really concentrate on submitting 8-bit embellishments. I call it 9-bit, but it's basically adding FX like Reverb/Delay/Distortion to leads and allowing the supporting instruments to be "whatever sounds good", whether it's bitcrushed or not.

Even the best chiptune purists feel... dated.

Are we even talking about this anymore? Oh, we're onto hating the staff now?

Joojes are suck! Let the peasant uprising begin!

Neblix hit it on the head. If I'm going to make music for other people, gotta have some kind of incentive. If it's for a cool game, or some other thing I'd like (or a indie game/project thing) then that's fine, but I wouldn't want to make a remix specifically trying to get submitted to OCR (taking a lot of time to do stuff that might help that) and have a 99.9999x % chance of it getting denied anyway. It's kind of an effort thing mixed with that feeling you get where you write something that you disagree with but someone else called for it to be that way. I've run into that for some game music I've written, but that's different as it's their project and it's also pretty assured that we'll come to some kind of agreement, which is not necessarily the case with the judges' panel.

holy carpmonsters

Now I know why I hate all the music I make. And how to fix it. By one of my favorite chip-musicians.

It's like a thirsty man being given water by baby Jesus and Santa Claus that's in a glass made of fairy tears and love.

holy carpmonsters

Now I know why I hate all the music I make. And how to fix it. By one of my favorite chip-musicians.

It's like a thirsty man being given water by baby Jesus and Santa Claus that's in a glass made of fairy tears and love.

I like how the new joojh8 sig fits pretty snugly next to my sig for THE WETTENING, coming to BANDCAMP on March 15th! Click here for more details :-D No chiptunes, no confusion.

(jk.. there's a little chiptunes)

Pure chiptunes have kind of run their course IMO. I think we should really concentrate on submitting 8-bit embellishments. I call it 9-bit, but it's basically adding FX like Reverb/Delay/Distortion to leads and allowing the supporting instruments to be "whatever sounds good", whether it's bitcrushed or not.

How can you say that and not be sick of every other instrument/style other than very recent ones? The number of artists actually writing chiptunes pales in comparison to most other instruments or genres, and it's been around for about 30 years, while rock's been around for 60ish. Man I feel like the electric guitar has run its course....

How can you say that and not be sick of every other instrument/style other than very recent ones? The number of artists actually writing chiptunes pales in comparison to most other instruments or genres, and it's been around for about 30 years, while rock's been around for 60ish. Man I feel like the electric guitar has run its course....

Chips are kind of a unique situation to me. They existed because it's the best developers could do with the tools they had. Also, you compared an instrument to a genre there. If you compare it genre to genre like, say, chiptunes and classic rock, I think it's fair to say that some genres do "run their course." I admittedly still love classic rock, but a genre like purebred chiptunes just doesn't have the same longevity for me.

There's no rule saying what you can and can't make, but there's a reason pure chips are nowadays a pretty cult thing, and it's not because what's being made is bad. A lot of it is damn good and clever. People crave novelty and evolution though.

Yes - you equated news (media) with music (art).

Which is actually kind of cosmically offensive on an ideological level, with the sweetened bonus of being misguided.

So you're saying writing isn't art? :P And you could do the same with any electronic music, say that it's too new and hasn't hit its stride yet or something because it's only a couple decades old.

Using that line of reasoning, you could say that 16bit pieces have "run their course" because more modern forms of production exist - in which stuff like GeckoYamori's FM synthesis remakes and stuff like the Castlevania Rebirth OST make compelling arguments against you!

And it sounds like you've never heard any of the music from

, or
<< If anyone else can make pictionary badass, I'd like to see them do it.

btw these songs have examples of "reverb" and "delay" in their native format.

If we only ever had stuff like Koji Kondo's work on the original Zelda, then yes, I could POSSIBLY agree - but even then it denies the specific place chiptune music occupies, as well as the very conditions the music is created in. You may have mentioned devs using the best tools at their disposal, but I think there's more to it than that - because that's what every single composer has ever faced in the history of composition!

Are harpsichords obsolete? Are pipe organs obsolete? If you think the answer is "no," then square-waves, pulse-waves, and noise channels can't really become obsolete, either. I think if people craved "novelty and evolution" there would be a point where we would have completely discarded the instruments we have been using for the past several centuries by now. Yes, there is novelty, but there's continuity as well.

LOL.

As a veteran guitar player who has played every size stage from basement to arena, producer, or recording engineer who has done everything from movie trailers to rap to butt metal... I can assure you that the upper echelon of chip music is absolutely bleeding edge in terms of modern composition. It's not dated, it's unheard of. Composition techniques that are absolutely ridiculous and awesome, you won't find them in LITERALLY ANY TYPE OF MUSIC. There are a millions sounds that you just can't find with any other instrument (without some ridiculous programming).

Now, it's easy to gloss over and not realize this. A lot of them are pretty subtle, others are not. Honestly, the gameboy and NES are without a doubt the COOLEST, most ORIGINAL sounding instruments I've heard in modern times. What you guys see as "production limitations" are actually what spawns the most creative sound design and composition ideas I've ever heard.

I'm not being delusional, but sometimes you need to dig slightly deep to find these subtleties. I find that a lot of fakebit stuff glosses over these techniques and just rocks 50% square waves with big bass drums. To me that's extremely boring.

Oh well, I'll be giving an entire panel about this stuff at PAX East. Seriously from a sound design perspective, I find the gameboy to be extremely bleeding edge and amazing.

EX: This is an unfinished track I've been working on with a guy named Zef. The sounds we got on here might be difficult to reproduce with any synth, but even if you did, it would be insane to program the same arps, the same crazy basslines, the pitch shifts, etc. I would write them WAY differently if given a more traditional setup.

http://www.armcannon.com/danimal/zefboth.mp3

Alright, I'm doing my best to not talk out of my ass here. My point boils down to my what my personal preferences are and why they are that way. I have no authority speaking down on any type of music in a room full of well-bred musicians that have panels at PAX East ohmygosh-

That said, I thought I was well-acquainted with chips but I could definitely dig deeper. I just wish more people would try out this 9-bit stuff because I love it so damn much. Hearing 8-bit makes me want 9-bit.

Are harpsichords obsolete? Are pipe organs obsolete? If you think the answer is "no," then square-waves, pulse-waves, and noise channels can't really become obsolete, either. I think if people craved "novelty and evolution" there would be a point where we would have completely discarded the instruments we have been using for the past several centuries by now. Yes, there is novelty, but there's continuity as well.

Again, I'm talking about genres and styles, not instruments. Don't people generally stop producing music in certain genres after a while? Of course you have the few cultists and oddballs who keep on pushing the envelope, and that's fantastic, but styles, not instruments, lose their edge after a while (for me). I already said I love 9bit, which definitely uses those same square and pulse waves you mentioned.

Again, I'm talking about genres and styles, not instruments. Don't people generally stop producing music in certain genres after a while? Of course you have the few cultists and oddballs who keep on pushing the envelope, and that's fantastic, but styles, not instruments, lose their edge after a while (for me). I already said I love 9bit, which definitely uses those same square and pulse waves you mentioned.

Thought that it had been established that chipmusic is more of an instrument than a genre/style. You can have rock, metal, jazz, classical, funk, punk etc all represented within the "chiptune" label. Just look at shnabubula's list of chiptunes that he had a couple pages ago and listen.

I just wish more people would try out this 9-bit stuff because I love it so damn much. Hearing 8-bit makes me want 9-bit.

I know what you're saying. Every time I listen to

I'm always like... where are the break-beats and wobble bass!

Chamber music... more like LAMEber music. I'm so sick of orchestra, listening to orchestra makes me want MOREchestra. Swan Lake sounds so lame without Flanger and Filter sweeps.

Chips are kind of a unique situation to me. They existed because it's the best developers could do with the tools they had. Also, you compared an instrument to a genre there. If you compare it genre to genre like, say, chiptunes and classic rock, I think it's fair to say that some genres do "run their course." I admittedly still love classic rock, but a genre like purebred chiptunes just doesn't have the same longevity for me.

There's no rule saying what you can and can't make, but there's a reason pure chips are nowadays a pretty cult thing, and it's not because what's being made is bad. A lot of it is damn good and clever. People crave novelty and evolution though.

I think you need to listen to C-Jeff's Preschtale album. It wouldn't quite qualify as either 9-bit or pure chiptune, but it lies much closer to the latter, and it achieves some pretty incredible things given the hardware limitations.

I think you need to listen to C-Jeff's Preschtale album. It wouldn't quite qualify as either 9-bit or pure chiptune, but it lies much closer to the latter, and it achieves some pretty incredible things given the hardware limitations.

Preschtale makes use of... among other things, Quantum Leap Colossus. While I agree it is an INSANELY brilliant album, I'd hardly use the words "hardware limitations" when describing it.

Preschtale makes use of... among other things, Quantum Leap Colossus. While I agree it is an INSANELY brilliant album, I'd hardly use the words "hardware limitations" when describing it.

Oh, yeah, I know it isn't pure at all, although I wasn't aware what synths he used in the album, but mainly, the point I was trying to make is that even though he limited himself throughout most of the album to "chippy"-sounding synths (gawd, that man can work a pulse wave), he managed to create an absurdly epic prog rock opera. The limitations are part of the brilliance, and they drive the innovation; that's the beauty of chiptunes in my opinion. That, and I fucking love the NES and Gameboy.

Oh, yeah, I know it isn't pure at all, although I wasn't aware what synths he used in the album, but mainly, the point I was trying to make is that even though he limited himself throughout most of the album to "chippy"-sounding synths (gawd, that man can work a pulse wave), he managed to create an absurdly epic prog rock opera. The limitations are part of the brilliance, and they drive the innovation; that's the beauty of chiptunes in my opinion. That, and I fucking love the NES and Gameboy.

I got your meaning from the original post. I was just being pointlessly anal. It's one of my more charming character flaws?