Seiken Densetsu 3: Songs of Light and Darkness - History

Usa

Aaaa!

I'm a little frustrated and I need a little moral support. Where better to get it than here, among my trusted minions?

My Return to Forever track is bringing my computer to its knees, which is really annoying because I have to mix each section separately, in a separate file. And I can only work with two files at any given time.

Does anyone have any tips on mixing a really crowded instrumental part? I've tried using equalizers to push some of the instruments into the background, but that sometimes results in a rather empty, subdued soundscape, which is the exact opposite of what I'm trying to achieve. I feel like an amateur turtle.

Sorry to hear that, Archangel. D: I can't offer you any help on the actual problem, not being a musician... All I can say is I'm really looking forward to the finished product, which I'm sure is going to be great!

I've been in a comparable situation before... having to work on a single picture as two separate files. It made things harder, but the end result was my best back then, and the person I did the picture for loved it too.

Does anyone have any tips on mixing a really crowded instrumental part? I've tried using equalizers to push some of the instruments into the background, but that sometimes results in a rather empty, subdued soundscape, which is the exact opposite of what I'm trying to achieve. I feel like an amateur turtle.

You probably just have too many instruments. If mixing doesn't help, then it's the arrangement you need to fix. Sometimes you have to cut back and trust that it's going to achieve the sound you're going for (especially if you're working in a frustrated self-critical mode which is highly detrimental to confidence and, eventually, the song itself).

Archangel, utilize your stereo field and EQ. If the project is too intense to run then export the wavs of your individual instrument tracks and mix them in a different project--or just work on mixing the crowded section in its own file with wavs. You can pan and EQ instruments to come through clearly while not being in the same sonic space or frequency range. EQ and panning don't have to be static. Engineer/automate that specific section and make it work. I'm no mixing pro, but that's my advice.

Okay guys and gals, I got the consent info so I can start putting together our internal preview package. If you want the internal preview package, make sure i have your email. (if you've received my info letter things before, I have it.)

On a related note, a surprisingly large number of ppl who've submitted a finished track to me (or Usa or Meteo) have not signed the consent form. I'd hate to open up a dozen or so tracks just because you've somehow missed that ocr needs your written consent. Unlike the bios and track notes, this isn't something we can just make up. Finished a track for the project? SIGN THE FORM!

Track feedback is coming, I'm just being slow. Got some updated wavs, too. :)

I have a pretty short project checklist at the moment, in rough order of importance:

x Send out feedback to ppl.

x Get consent form data so I know what tracks I can use for the previews

x Nag about the consent form and how ocr needs your consent to use your tracks on the album, see below

o Put together an internal preview (if you want it, get me your email) with music and art

o Make a public preview... of some kind

o Make a new recruitment post in Recruit&Collab, pref. with some kind of preview, see above

o Finish my first track for the project (hypocrite)

o Get someone with a good orchestra sound on HoboKa's 102 midi

Oh, it's longer than I thought. Oh well. :D

Also, we need your CONSENT, fill out the consent form plz. Link in first post, and in the previous post too. No excuses.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys and gals, I was gonna go over the tracks I can use for the preview (only gonna use tracks I have a finished version of, and consent to have on the album). I have consent for 15 out of 44 tracks (incl. legacy tracks). That means almost half the preview would be Archangel's tracks.

As the tracklist is publicly available, I might as well list everyone whose consent I don't have. Pardon the lowercase, it's straight from my notes, and I'm not gonna go add everyone's preferred case setup.

rozovian lazy bum, finish the track already! and then give consent. as if you wouldn't. and then finish all unfinished or unconsented tracks.

usa

the dual dragons

audio fidelity, abi coffer

harmony

level99

luiza

k-wix

brandon strader

ilp0

darkesword

jeffrey hayat

john revoredo/prometheus

karth

hoboka

jeremy robson

ergosonic

thedeath

the joker

sixto sounds

robotaki?

nutritious

reuben cornell

isao

If something wrong, it's possible that I have missed someone, either on the tracklist or on the consent list, or that you just signed the form since I got the consent list.

There's also an ocr-accepted track waiting to be posted. Since... idunno, this spring or something. I wanna get a preview out - yes, a public preview - at the same time. Again, I want consent to use the tracks.

In other words, artists:

SIGN THIS!

Signed, although I always figured my consent would be implied, given my staff status.

~OH WELL~

I think most ppl figure sending in a wav implies - not outright declares - consent. Still, ocr wants it in writing, which means I do too.

-

edit: I'm gonna avoid double-posting when i can, just wanna say:

NEW WAV! pu_freak ROCKS! (...calmly)

Edited by Rozovian

Hello everyone!

I have a problem with my email. So if I'm in the list of "some" people, pleas PM me.

btw.. someone know what da foock is that:

The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL: http://mail.ru/?

Socket Failure

The system returned: (99) Cannot assign requested address

Squid is unable to create a TCP socket, presumably due to excessive load. Please retry your request.

Your cache administrator is webmaster.??

• 2 weeks later...

brandon strader

If something wrong, it's possible that I have missed someone, either on the tracklist or on the consent list, or that you just signed the form since I got the consent list.

SIGN THIS!

I'm pretty sure I've signed that for every project, even ones I'm not on, at least 3 times.. but I did it again. v_v

• 2 weeks later...

Word of warning - I'm getting antsy again and that means it's time for more project buttdoctorin'.

I'm going to start hitting up these people on our list of consent so we can get consent to these tracks so we can build the damn preview already. I'm trying to help build momentum going on for this project as I do believe it would help get spurred back on to working on it. More public interest going out - more excitement coming in to get it finished - ya dig?

So I will be annoying and start hounding some people for consent once I meet with Stevo. A lot of people think this project is either dead or not worthy of their time and energy and I'm about to shove those erroneous statements right back up the collective wazoo.

Because that's what a good buttdoctor does.

If it makes you feel better, Meteo, I for one am definitely excited for this project's completion and have been keeping an eye on it... so you got at least one fan. ;-)

I am mostly wondering what the hell I'm going to do with my signature once this is actually released. Good problem to have though!

ZealPath: Just link to the album site then. :D We'll have more than plenty of new, spectacular art for that.

Remixers, I'm planning a hard deadline on the last day of February (29th iirc, I'll check later). A day when big promises are void, long-time claims are lost, and almost finished tracks are opened. I call it an "angry" deadline. :D it basically turns the project into a free-for-all regarding tracks that have been started before the new year. So finish your tracks. Cuz I want to finish the project.

On a less threatening note, Meteo got me the updated consent list, so now I have a greater variety of tracks to choose from for the previews... which I know I've been promising for quite a while now. I have the art selected, just gotta pick the tracks I wanna show. One remixer has requested he not be part of any preview, anyone else have a problem being included? Also, if you haven't gotten any email from us, we probably don't have your email address and can't send you the preview. We kind'a need your email anyway. If we don't have it, email us, or PM us your email, or something.

(internal preview first, public teaser trailer next... official trailer later)

Wav, consent, bio, track notes, email. <-We want all of these from you.

Anybody need any help or anything? Guitar, violin, drums, vocals, feedback, threats...?

Edited by Rozovian

I think I'm all caught up with everything but I thought I should check in just to make sure there's nothing you guys still need from me. Though I haven't gotten any emails and I'm pretty sure you guys still have it. If not, I'll get back in touch with you in short order.

Other than that, keep kicking tail! Looking forward to hearing the end results.

Hi folks, I'm holding off on marking Abadoss' track blue until I get around to listening to the wav, but I HAS A WAV. And a happy. :D

On a related happy note, I got over whatever mixer's block has been keeping me from making progress with my almost completed collab with Mozzaratti. It is now a few nitpicks away from complete. That's pretty close. When that's done, nobody on this project can use the excuse "but Rozo hasn't done a track yet". And then I'll also sign the consent form - which all remixers on the project better sign, asap.

As for the insider preview, I have everything I need for it, the art, the music, I just... can't decide what tracks i wanna share with you remixers whose emails I have. But now that you know I have it all, it can't be long... right?

Public teaser coming, too. After the internal preview.

A gazillion orchestral tracks, and a handful of guitar tracks... so hard to pick representative tracks for the previews. It would help if I had consent for more of the tracks. *wink wink*

Track comments, remixer bios, and your emails addresses still wanted. You know we'll make stuff up if you don't get us anything. ;)

Updated the first post. We now have a deadline Feb 29th - and then the free-for-all begins. This project is not supposed to go on forever.

Also, +2 blue tracks. Yay! :D

• Liontamer changed the title to Seiken Densetsu 3: Songs of Light and Darkness - History
  • Liontamer locked this topic