OCR00476 - Ristar "Ocean Flame Groove"

Ginnsu

Ristar 'Ocean Flame Groove'

This is a cool mix here, I especially like this instrument stabs. It’s been a while since I've ever heard stabs used so continually in a song, never mind being the basis of that song. Great mix here, 4-Eyes.

• 10 months later...
Ristar 'Ocean Flame Groove'

This is a cool mix here, I especially like this instrument stabs. It’s been a while since I’ve ever heard stabs used so continually in a song, never mind being the basis of that song. Great mix here, 4-Eyes.

Quoted that because it gives such a nice little blurb for the review excerpt ("Recently OverHeard") at the bottom of the song page. I agree completely. Interesting to hear all the staccatos. Different from yer factory-made techno.

EDIT: Oh, and it fits Ristar's style perfectly. Sounds like something you'd hear in a sequel. A sequel that is much needed - Ristar had the same kind of FUN too it as did Yoshi's Island (and most likely Yoshi's Story, which I still needa play).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wo0t! Ristar was so cool! Too bad not a lot of people know about it... Anywho, I dl'ed this song because I actually had the original stuck in my head. It's so great. I like the feeling of this song a lot too, it definitely feels underwater-y and peaceful, but it skips the "chorus" of the original if I'm thinking of the same underwater level. (That's hardly a complaint though, as you don't have to use 100% of the source material.) Still, I agree with everyone; the instrument used for the melody is very fitting for both the original and the techno style of the song. I also made a DWI for this song because it's so cool. ^^; Good Remix!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Way better than "Intension," first off. I'm glad you've given us a better ReMix from Ristar. That was such a cute, fun game. And Planet Undertow is about the only song from it I can remember off the top of my head :(. Anyway, it's a nice, heady original song, and ya done good things with it.

You took it in a jumpier, faster, groovy direction, away from its dreamier original quality, and it comes out sounding cool. I also am interested by the "stabs," or whatever you call them; they stay fresh through the whole thing. I especially like the long-release sawtooth sweeps jumping around in front of the drums. They sound watery to me, for some reason, yet funky. They tie the old to the new. Good stuff.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Very nice, you definitely do justice to what was my favorite game on the Sega Genesis. I like at about 0:35 when the original really kicks in. Shame there aren't more Ristar ReMixes on the site... IMO the best complete soundtrack I've heard in any video game, bar none.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00476 - Ristar "Ocean Flame Groove"